Vary Rotary Speaker speed with Foot Pedal or Controller?

• Has anyone attempted to, or been successful with varying the speed of the "rotary speaker" sample by using a foot pedal? I am looking at a Korg Nuvibe and just don't know if i can accomplish the same "effect" with that Rotary Speaker Profile and then vary the speed with a foot controller....Love to hear if anyone has tried or if it is even possible....

"There are only two ways to live your life - as if nothing is a miracle, or as if everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein

• the Korg Nuvibe is a re-creation of the Univibe, not a rotary speaker.

The Rotary Speaker effect in the Profiler can be switched between fast and slow speeds - with the authentic acceleration and braking speeds of the rotor and horn - just like the original.

The switching between these speeds can be easily done with an external switch or the remote.

hth

• But why stick to obvious technical limitations of the original rotary speaker? Kemper could easily offer unlimited rotary speed, eg. to match the tempo. And the setting could be controlled by an expression pedal as wizard922 suggested.

-Jari

• You can switch between fast and slow with a footswitch. I use the Tap button on my remote for that. I'd hate for this to change as this is the way I like using a rotary.

Variable speed with an expression pedal is impossible and not something they're considering. I suspect it would require a whole rewrite of that effect.

• So is there a way to control the Fast/Slow speeds via expression pedal or morph? If not then that is really limiting the use of this effect IMO.

The basic speed gets controlled by tap tempo. Slow/fast can be easily assigned to a button on the Remote.

ckemper stated once that he wanted to emulate the real behaviour of a Leslie rotor speeding up from slow to fast and vice verse which is nothing you can achieve by morphing this parameter with an expression pedal.

Consequently, as slow/fast is to be considered as two states of tempo with a ramping time to get from one to the other and not as a continuous change of values, it’s not a morphable parameter.

While this reasoning is logical, I agree though that it would give interesting results to manipulate the speed by morphing.

So why not open a feature request about it?

• I went to check this out, there doesn't seem to be a difference in speed relative to tapping tempo.

After doing this I switched to another setting via the Remote - lo and behold, the sound switched to the one I'd switched to, but the remote kinda shut down, and the display on the KPA didn't change. I hit a few buttons, nothing. The thing dun froze up on me. I switched it off, after a few seconds it just powered down, no shut down routine. I turned it back on, seems to have booted up fine.

I guess all the tinkerin' and tweakin' I've been doing tonight got it kinda frazzled. This has happened before, hope it's not something that'll happen live.

• Can someone please explain how you assign the fast/slow parameter to a button on the remote?

Thanks -Frank

The simplest way:

Press and hold the Speed button, and press a Remote switch. (I,II,III, or IV), Then, save the Rig or Performance.

Note: it cannot be a switch that is assigned to Rotary on/off.

It is also possible to change the function of a few of the other Remote Switches. I haven’t done that, but, details are in the manual.

• I went to check this out, there doesn't seem to be a difference in speed relative to tapping tempo.

After doing this I switched to another setting via the Remote - lo and behold, the sound switched to the one I'd switched to, but the remote kinda shut down, and the display on the KPA didn't change. I hit a few buttons, nothing. The thing dun froze up on me. I switched it off, after a few seconds it just powered down, no shut down routine. I turned it back on, seems to have booted up fine.

I guess all the tinkerin' and tweakin' I've been doing tonight got it kinda frazzled. This has happened before, hope it's not something that'll happen live.

Were you connected to rig manager on your computer at the time?

I haven’t had a freeze in many months but when they have happened in the past I have always been connected to my computer. I’ve never had it happen at any point with no computer attached.

• Were you connected to rig manager on your computer at the time?

I haven’t had a freeze in many months but when they have happened in the past I have always been connected to my computer. I’ve never had it happen at any point with no computer attached.

Ya know what, I might have been. I'm not sure if I had Rig Manager running at the time but the USB cable was definitely connected.

• Ya know what, I might have been. I'm not sure if I had Rig Manager running at the time but the USB cable was definitely connected.

Yep...been there. It happened to me when I was setting up my initial performances after getting mine in the mail. Too much button pushing while it's connected via USB will crash you. I'm almost certain I've heard someone say on here 'Don't EVER EVER EVER have your KPA plugged into your computer for a live performance'. I actually got it tattooed on my arm to remind myself...and sho' 'nuff, never had a crash. Knock on wood.