Wait for possible NAMM announcement or pull the trigger?

• Hi folks - I am totally sold on getting a Kemper and I understand that Kemper's philosophy is to long support existing hardware. However, you never really know what may happen.

The story is that I live in Europe and I have the chance to get the Profiler head + Remote bundle from the US at ~€600 less to what I would get it If I bought in Europe. That is with a nice discount, exchange rate and, no taxes working in my favor.
    I have a windows of 1.5 weeks until the date I fly back to EU. However, as NAMM is upon us, I would deeply regret to get the bundle and then realizing that a new version of the profiler is out. Being in Europe at that point, I could not simply return it. I would not mind waiting until the next time I am in the US to get the new version if that was the case.

Anyone has any advice or insight of what Kemper may announce on NAMM? what would you do?

Thanks.

• I'm in the same boat. Just bought a KPA (it's sitting in the box) and am waiting to see what gets announced at NAMM.

I'm not excepting Kemper to announce any new hardware, but I suppose they could surprise everybody.

If you're getting a really good deal here in the US, and Kemper does surprise everyone with something new, maybe you could sell it when you get home and not loose any money.

For the price I just bought a one new here in the U.S. I could probably sell it on Reverb for the same price.

• Yeah that is a good advice I will take it into consideration. I could even make a profit here in Europe (not the intention though). The only thing is that the boxes would be left behind in the US but not a big deal.

I guess we should know by around the 24th/25th what will happen.

• Bought mine back in November and I did hesitate to pull the trigger for the same reason; what if they release a new product a few weeks later....

That said, no regrets whatsoever, though I'm not sure about getting full return on your investment if a newer model is introduced on the market.

• I was "on the fence" for many years thinking the same thing...maybe a new and improved version was just around the corner. That didn't happen. But after hearing well done profiles of great amp tones against the real amps used to make those profiles...and not hearing a difference...I finally dove in. And I'm so glad I did and absolutely love this thing.

Agree on the resale point if it did actually happen, but why come out with a new version if the sound is already there? Nothing to gain IMO.

Go for it! :thumbup:

Phil 8)

• I would not mind waiting until the next time I am in the US to get the new version if that was the case.

No risk no fun ;)
    Now serious - I think it is very unlikely that Kemper will come with a new hardware.

But with the prize you got, you can't lose anything.

• Stores would already be mostly out of stock if something new was coming up. Kemper doesn't have the sales volume to massively discount old hardware while still maintaining sales of new units.

• I understand all the points and I am more convinced to buy than not to buy.

However, a big However, the more years pass the more and more likely a new hardware is to be released. That is just a fact. It is now 7 years since it was presented for the first time.

I guess you do not win if you do not risk and that is what I will keep in mind :)

Edited once, last by cags12 ().

• You shouldn't hold your breath for a "new version", imho.
    I can't currently smell a massively different Profiler II on the horizon. I wouldn't be surprised much if they decided to put basically the same in another form factor (aka floorboard), especially due to the popularity of the AX8, Headrush, Helix stuff. But even if they announce something like that (which I haven't heard anything about) then it still takes time until it's actually available on the market. And I'm pretty sure it wouldn't sport any features we can't have with the regular Profilers.

Bottomline:
    IF they announce new hardware, it will be a different formfactor, not a different "technology", imho

• I have more amps in mine than you'll own in ten lifetimes and the vast majority sound really great with my guitars and FRFR monitors and DXR12. I don't need a new version, beyond happy with mine the way it is. Just like cellphones, if you gotta have the latest greatest then so be it. The prices keep going up and up and they still make phone calls, get emails, pics, and get you on the net same as the previous version with a shiny new exterior. Just my take on it but I did feel the same way you did before dropping all that cash :thumbup:

• I would hold off until you're nearing your departure date - and see if there are any teasers coming out which might indicate that something is on the horizon.

Resale price might take a hit anyway if they came out with version 2 (not something I would expect, but I have no basis for my belief :-))

Yeah, this is my plan but I also have to factor the shipping time from CA to FL (long distance). In either case with that €600 save I am pretty sure it will serve as cushion in case resale value gets a hit.

Edited once, last by cags12 ().

• Unless Kemper release some kind of hardware that compliments the KPA, I can't see how they can replace it. Purely from a logistical standpoint, it would be a ruinous nightmare.

Releasing a new form factor (e.g. AX8, Helix) would be no different than when they released the rack version.

Or they could release a lower priced, floorboard version that only "plays" profiles and has no profiling capabilities. I imagine a lot of KPA users would love to leave their KPA at home and take a pedal[board] to shows.

In either case, it's expanding the Kemper family, not ruining it.

• Releasing a new form factor (e.g. AX8, Helix) would be no different than when they released the rack version.
    Or they could release a lower priced, floorboard version that only "plays" profiles and has no profiling capabilities. I imagine a lot of KPA users would love to leave their KPA at home and take a pedal[board] to shows.

In either case, it's expanding the Kemper family, not ruining it.

This would be very cool as far as a player-only floorboard and honestly, if the horsepower is not limited, I may go with that and sell off my lunch box. I don't care about the profiling feature. Michael Britt has supplied me 100s of amps...way more than I'd ever need and profiled at a level of excellence I'll never replicate.

Main thing for me is continued Kemper relevance as a player in this market because I love the sounds so much. The form factor and flow...meh...but the sounds are the best and easiest to get (I've owned the Fractal Axe II for years and sold it off for the Kemper). I have to believe the Helix platform and price points are tough for Kemper and Fractal to compete against long term.