Best all round cabinet for powered Kemper?

• Thinking about getting a power amp and pairing it with my Kemper. Still need to figure out whether I want to get something that fits in the back or whether I should go with a really nice stereo power amp.

In that regard, I know a lot of guys say their mileage varies with cabinets. So I'm curious to know what everyone would recommend using with a powered Kemper.

Do provide details of the speakers and other details of the build, such as how much it cost you, etc.

Can we come to some kind of gold standard? Anyone using a FRFR cab?

• no cab user here, but sure you'll miss the cab variety of rhe Kemper and the cab will make all profiles more similar, though the Kemper may sound good, which is the point. Cab users have become zombies, so shout and wake them up! :thumbup:

Never too old for rock'n'roll

• I was the last person I knew to still lug around a 4x12. I recently sold my beloved Mesa Boogie Halfback that I used for almost 30 years and bought a Port City 2x12. Doesn't have nearly the same power handling capability, but it sounds bigger than it is and I'm very happy. I go back and forth between that and my Atomic CLR depending on my mood or venue. If you can afford it, buy both. The speaker (cab, frfr, headphones or pa) is the most important part of the signal chain...why limit yourself? You've got more than one guitar, right?

• Get both! I love (although it's hella extra) running into my splawn 4x12 with v30s and a stereo pa as my wingmen lol I play dropped tune stuff from C to A and will soon be going down to E on 8 strings. My pa set up is ridiculous though and I need to probably switch to powered 15's

Currently it's two harbinger 1x12 with horns daisy chained to some old heavy, rat fur covered, peavey 15's with a mid and high horn and a cheap Nady stereo power amp. The peaveys have a mid and high range horn but there's a dial to turn them down or off and they are crackling so I turned them off. I should also mention I play synth to.

For my 4x12, id like to get some creambacks so I could do an X pattern but for weight and space I've also thought about; A, getting 2 or 4 neodymium speakers and running the cab SIM on. B, getting a mission 2x12 passive cab.

• I use my KPA live with a Marshall 1960 4x12 (V30s), a Marshall 1936 2x12 (G12T75s) or a Matrix NL12 (neodymium). It always sounds great, but then I chose profiles that specifically sound great with these cabs. The Matrix is probably the least picky, due to the extended frequency range, I guess.

For the record, I used to own a Powerrack but now have a toaster with an Ambrosi ATM-70 60W poweramp in the back. I’m thinking of experimenting with running it in the loop of my BluGuitar Amp 1 (which has a 100W nanotube power amp) to save weight, as I’m often flying (the Ambrosi is over 2 kilos).

• I'm quite new to the KPA but I can tell you how I do it.

I'm the oldschool guy who still prefers his fullstack in the rehearsal room. When playing live the changover times are short and there's often backline that is already miced up so we just plug into the cab(s) available.

My approach is to find a profile that has a cab which is similar to my cab. If you have a Marshall 4x12 with V30s or T75s you should be able to find or buy some decent profiles. I recommend merged profiles (packs) so you have the best sound possible via cabinet and main out. Tweak you profile so that it sound best via main out and than do necessary adjustments for your specific cab sound with the monitor EQ in the output section. This might also be necessary if you play over a different cabinet or if the cab is placed differently in the room. This way I can have my blasting cabinet sound (I often add some bass) and the FOH is happy because you made sure it sounds good via main out in the first place.

I play through a fullstack consisting of a Marshall JCM800 cab with T75s and a Marshall 1960 cab with greenbacks. Sounds awesome!

I'd recommend you get a used Marshall 4x12. You can usually get one pretty cheap and there's just nothing like a guitar cab working hard to shake your bones.

• You know i am going to say FRFR....And Stereo and Mission
    Do i really need to post :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I have tried FRFRs with my Kemper and Amplifire and I just don't like that sound for my stage monitoring. It sounds too synthetic and processed to me.

I like open-back pine cabs with EVM 12S. Pine cabs just have a natural warmth and reverb to them that makes anything sound more organic. The EVs are a very neutral sounding speaker with extended high end that was originally designed for PAs. With a slight tweak of the monitor output EQ, I can send the cab emulated tone to the FOH while I have what I want on stage. For me, it is the perfect solution, a kick ass rig that is compact, light, road worthy and sounds great. Obviously, my solution isn't right for everyone. Open back pine cabs with their loose, wooly low end are probably not the best choice if you are into chugga chugga detuned metal, but they are perfect for my blues rock and classic rock gigs and will do great jazz, funk and country tones too.

I have been using this one for small gigs:

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/rwzkAEH.jpg]
    It is basically a tweed Deluxe extension cabinet made by Soundsrite Audio. I think it cost me just under $300 unloaded. It is my favorite cabinet with my tube heads and has killed every FRFR and studio monitor that I have tried with my Kemper.

Although I love my tweed cabinet, I am not quite happy with the 50s look of it with the Kemper and wanted something a bit more modern looking and taller for easier access to my toaster. So J Designs built me this for about $300 unloaded:

[Blocked Image: https://i.imgur.com/qHUEsJl.jpg]

It should arrive tomorrow. It is all pine with an open, oval-ported back. It was about $300 I believe. I will load it with another EVM 12S.

I also have various 2x12s and 4x12s for larger gigs that also use with the Kemper. I just use the output EQ to dial them in and then store it as an output preset.

I would like to try a Xitone Michael Britt or one of the RedSound FRFRs, but after being disappointed by Yamaha, QSC and Mission, I am in no rush to jump on the FRFR train just yet.

• I used a stereo poweramp bridged to mono and run a Mesa Boogie 2x12 with celestion V30.

I sold it because with a real cab nearly all high gain sounds sound similar in case of thus one cab.

I changed to frfr ( rcf 10“ sma) and I am very happy with it. For reducing the „hifi fx“ of an frfr i sometimes use pure cab ( very helpful) and a low and highcut.

I think I would never go back to a real cab. It needs some time to be familar with the frfr but I think nothing is more versatile than this.

• I am with Frank, there is some thing seriously wrong if your not getting the magic with FRFR as it shows the full power of the kemper
    Granted if you play one style and need one sound thats subjective then trash the FRFR sorry use an alternative
    But you cant say that FRFR's dnt make the cut with the majority of sounds
    You need one to really see the kemper's power IMHO

stereo FRFR rigs KILL all others with the kemper
    Try it and prove me wrong

I am talking about ALL sounds, high gain to clean.
    Subjective or not, i dont think you will waste your money on stereo FRFR;s

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• When I bought my first (powered) Kemper, the speaker that was to hand was a Vox night Train (Greenback) which worked so well I opted to get another. Turns out the cabs are like rocking horse s*** and it took a while to acquire one second hand (from Germany). This had a Wharfdale speaker .... not so good :( . Remembering a speaker I had stored in the loft for some 30 years (!) I fished out an EVM12L (taken from my MkII Boogie because it sounded too harsh) et voila!, still in good condition and sounding great with the Kemper. As a nod to the FRFR school of thought (and so I can hear my self above cymbals and brass instruments) I use an 8'' powered wedge (form a known Germanic source!) next to my pedalboard, which completes the stereo image.
    On low volume gigs I use the Greenback (probably within an inch of its life!), others the EV. I generally leave Cab on.

• When I bought my first (powered) Kemper, the speaker that was to hand was a Vox night Train (Greenback) which worked so well I opted to get another. Turns out the cabs are like rocking horse s*** and it took a while to acquire one second hand (from Germany). This had a Wharfdale speaker .... not so good :( . Remembering a speaker I had stored in the loft for some 30 years (!) I fished out an EVM12L (taken from my MkII Boogie because it sounded too harsh) et voila!, still in good condition and sounding great with the Kemper. As a nod to the FRFR school of thought (and so I can hear my self above cymbals and brass instruments) I use an 8'' powered wedge (form a known Germanic source!) next to my pedalboard, which completes the stereo image.
    On low volume gigs I use the Greenback (probably within an inch of its life!), others the EV. I generally leave Cab on.

What's the German source? I gotta know? Behringer?

• What's the German source? I gotta know? Behringer?

It's from Thomann - MA8/2 CL. Cheap and cheerful. It's pretty pokey for it's size and for my purposes is loud enough. It does roll off at the bottom end but there's plenty of that (low frq.) from the other cab. Ive used it as the sole amp for the KPA on (not so loud intimate cabaret - 80 seater room) gigs and it has been more than adequate. A pair in a bedroom would rip your head off! It's the smallest in a range so there is scope for heavier music (of the type I've heard you play in here) with the larger models.
    I feed it from one of the XLR outs. I did try a 1/4" out once but it had a slightly lower output and as such I had the wedge flat out and it was only just making it. HTH

• Awesome feedback guys. Just unpacked my new Kemper today. Still need a cabinet or something to play through. Thinking about running it through my Fender super speakers until i get a cabinet or something.

How do you import patches on this thing? Still reading through everything!!!