Best profiling setup when using a Suhr Reactive load (SRL DI Level and KPA return level settings)

• Hi,
    I am using a Suhr Rective Load to profile my amps.
    What will be the best setup of the Suhr Rerctive Load based on your experience to get most accurate results?

• Turn the SRL DI Level Knob up exactly like I use it on the computer (between point 3 and 4), and lower the return level on the KPA?
    • Keep the SRL DI Level Knob at Zero, and turn the KPA Return level up?
    • Lower to zero both SRL DI Level and KPA Return level?

Hope some KPA+Suhr Reactive Load users can share their experiences.
    Thanks!

• I'd go with option 1, but there really is no right or wrong way. I suggest experimenting.

• Profileing should be done loud!

The poweramp adds a lot to the sound - and reacts differently when using a loadbox.

The speaker sounds also different when played loud.

The amp and speakers should be used for a long time - band level - to break in.
    Thats the reason why we can hear a big difference between profiles from the same amp/speaker.

Many have tried to profile a new amp in a shop - or lent an amp/speaker - profile and return.
    This will lead to bad results - I play any new amp at least a month before profiling.
    First the amp/speaker sounds better - and second I know much more about the amp and its sweetspots.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• as mentioned in the Profiling Guide, no load box should be used to obtain authentic sounds.

Even a reactive one?

I have recorded my amps using both a cab and a Suhr Reactive Load with the Kemper DI in the chain and the difference is as small as the one you would get by using different cabs as a load.

• Yeah, is this saying that the Kemper reacts to profiling differently because of the load box, or just that a Load box sounds different than the real cab? I guess what i'm trying to say is, should it profile the same sound i hear when i record using the Reactive load box?

• Even a reactive one?
    I have recorded my amps using both a cab and a Suhr Reactive Load with the Kemper DI in the chain and the difference is as small as the one you would get by using different cabs as a load.

a 'reactive' load is an approximation of what happens between power amp and speaker.
    to quote from the suhr website:"The impedance curve of the Reactive Load has been painstakingly tuned to react like a speaker."

It's basically a model of a speaker. It's not the same as your power amp and your cabinet with your chosen speakers.
    That's what I mean by "no load box should be used to obtain authentic sounds" - what you get is someones idea of how a speaker should react, so you're introducing a model into the Profiling paradigm.

• a 'reactive' load is an approximation of what happens between power amp and speaker.to quote from the suhr website:"The impedance curve of the Reactive Load has been painstakingly tuned to react like a speaker."

It's basically a model of a speaker. It's not the same as your power amp and your cabinet with your chosen speakers.
    That's what I mean by "no load box should be used to obtain authentic sounds" - what you get is someones idea of how a speaker should react, so you're introducing a model into the Profiling paradigm.

On that score though, it's interesting that some people make profiles of digital gear like the Axe FX or Helix. I don't see why it should be frowned upon. Might have some interesting results.

• @nightlight

OP asked what setup to use for the most accurate results, I pointed out that the load box itself hinders authetic, accurate Profiles of his gear.

Ah, so he did, @DonPetersen, but I interpreted that to mean he wanted results that matched what he heard when he ran his amp into the Suhr ^^

It is definitely as you say, you won't get a 1:1 profile using a device like that.

• I have tried a few profiles, they are coming well so far, I just wanted to hear the feedback of Suhr reactive load users with KPA, I already read that sentence on the manual. Authentic..., profiles are copies, maybe tweaking a little I can get the same, worse or maybe better results, it is just worth to give it a try, I already have the SRL, and take in consideration that I cannot be loud at my homestudio.

• When you use a Reactive Load you are forcing the pre and power section... it does interact like a Speaker. I am looking to create DI Profiles, I will be using some Kemper cabs and the Merge Cab function, the results are pretty good so far...
    I don´t get your statement, silently recorded DI Profiles are part of the Kemper arsenal...

• Minute 16 - A comparative between a real cab and different Load boxes made by Pete Thorn. The reactive ones sound very similar to a real cab.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Minute 16 - A comparative between a real cab and different Load boxes made by Pete Thorn. The reactive ones sound very similar to a real cab.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I think that while profiling though, they may not react exactly like a mixed up cab. The results are likely to be far off from what they would be if a similar cab was miced up.

Still, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

• i think so long as it profiles the sound the same as running direct than folks are getting what they want. It doesn't have to sound like a particular cab DI'ed, it should sound like what it sounds when you use the Load Box and record the direct out.

• I just experimented with a friend who has a KPA, he also has a Dual Terror, but he profiles with a Kemper DI box.
    We both profiled both Dual Terrors, we both used the same Kemper Cabs, and with Headphones, you cannot tell the difference between our profiles.
    The main purpose of my question was getting any recommendation of the best setup for the Suhr Reactive Load and KPA relationship...
    To get to that same sounding profile, I used: SRL DI Level on the 4th point and I had to lower presence to -1 in the KPA when profiling.
    I hope to hear from other fellows setups using these 2 devices!

• Sorry to bump an old thread, I feel like its more relevant to continue this discussion rather than create a new one as the gear is fairly specific.

Just curious if anyone has had any luck making direct profiles using a Suhr Reactive Load? It works perfectly for me on crunchy and high gain tones, but anything light on gain makes the Kemper produce very peculiar results. I have done some comparisons of different load's (10 different 4x12 cabinets and 2 reactive loads that are modelled on 4x12 impedance curves). https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2pjs97gru5vvwc/Impedance Load Test.zip?dl=0

Kemper have stated that the amp needs to see a cab load and I'm a bit baffled what could be throwing it off so much when both reactive load units cause very similar behaviour from an amp. I don't mind using a cab and DI if thats the only way, but it seems strange firstly that there are no issues when there is more gain, and secondly in that using a reactive load response is what I want to capture for an accurate result for how I'm intended on using the profiles.

If anyone has had luck profiling clean and lower gain tones with a Suhr, or encountered anything similar then I'd be curious to hear!

• I am no profiling expert trust me. That said I did profile two amps here with a Suhr RL - DI with no cab. Was happy with the way they turned out and one of the amps is homemade, very clean with very little break up (like to add the Kemper drive pedals in front for fun). Again they sound good to me in a small room with a 1x12 in DI mode.

Tried the Kemper DI box, Countryman 85, and a Torpedo Captor last year (profiling) and thought these were better. Maybe I just know my Kemper better after a year and half with it dunno.

That Pete Thorn video regarding the Suhr RL talks about the correct cabling for the device. I almost gave up on the Suhr RL until I purchased a
    balanced XLR Female to 1/4-inch TRS Male Patch Cable. The video stats Suhr recommends this for best sound and I believe they are correct. That brought device to life tone wise using an amp with IR's and believe it helped with these profiles.

I don't seek perfection trust me but the Suhr worked for me.

Edited once, last by Mookytc ().