Robben Ford Tone on Misdirected Blues

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Did another video on a transcription that I worked out last year. This one is Robben Ford's solo on Misdirected Blues.

Using a Dumble patch from Michael Britt with just the gain dialed down. I was switching back between my version and the original and I think it got pretty close to his famous sound.

• That's amazing! You certainly nail both the sound and playing. He's one of my favourites and if I didn't watch you do it I'd think it was him.

Thanks for sharing the lesson as well. I'll have to digest that in chunks. :)

• Fabulous tone, technique, phrasing - you've certainly got Robben Ford nailed... great job! And so relaxed!

I personally use a Michael Britt rig labelled Dumb ODS FB for my Robben Ford tone. Your's may sound better. I'm curious which rig of Michael's you are using if you don't mind my asking, and if you've made any other tweaks to it besides lowering the gain a bit. I can't quite read your display.

Thanks again for posting that gem!

Gary ô¿ô

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Did another video on a transcription that I worked out last year. This one is Robben Ford's solo on Misdirected Blues.

Using a Dumble patch from Michael Britt with just the gain dialed down. I was switching back between my version and the original and I think it got pretty close to his famous sound.

Hi Wes,

Great tone and playing. Couldt you be so kind and tell us which dumble profile it is? You have written that you just turned down the gain. I can't find a dumble from Michael that sounds near to your tune (so clear, fresh and tasty). I tried them all but they all sound too dark. The reverb and the delay isn't present like yours. At the moment I play the Dumble C CLN $+ Profile, but I bet it is another one.
    Could you send the tweak from the reverb and the delay and the name of the profile?

I came close with these reverb settings but I didn't nail yours:
    Reverbtype: Large room
    Mix 21%
    Del Balance 0
    Time 5,1
    Damping 1,6
    Predelay 63
    Bandw:2,1
    Freq: -1,7
    Ducking 0
    Volume +0,8

Thx in advance
    Frank

• Fabulous tone, technique, phrasing - you've certainly got Robben Ford nailed... great job! And so relaxed!

I personally use a Michael Britt rig labelled Dumb ODS FB for my Robben Ford tone. Your's may sound better. I'm curious which rig of Michael's you are using if you don't mind my asking, and if you've made any other tweaks to it besides lowering the gain a bit. I can't quite read your display.

Thanks again for posting that gem!

Thanks guys! The rig is labeled "Dumble F ODS FORD" and the gain is the only thing I changed. It is at 4 instead of the normal 6.2.

For some reason the pickups in my Les Paul seem to work well with his profiles. His profiles are dark with all my other guitars so I usually increase the definition setting in the amp section a bit.

I record the guitars dry so the bit of reverb and delay you hear is added on after in Pro Tools. The reverb is just the stock D-Verb on large plate and the delay is just an eighth note with a few repeats (very low volume)

• Many thx Wes. I tried the ods ford first and i didn't get the result out of the box.
    Delay and reverb from pro tools make it clear. Can't get a reverb like this out of the kpa.
    My gibson is a bit darker than yours, i have an dimarzio super distortion on bridge position. So I have to tweak tomorrow..

Again, thx for the quick response.

Cheers
    Frank

Thx for the hint with the fx Wes.

I tried it again, but with the onboard reverb I can't reach your tone.
    I used my Gibson LP and I changed the cab of the Ford Profile (otherwise it's too dark for my Gibson with dimarzio pu's) to a Marshall 1960AV. Added an 1/8 note delay and the plate reverb of the kpa. I think it's not near to your sound but also not so bad. I go crazy when I hear cool soundsamples and can't reach the tone with the same profile......but after many questions about that I came close to the secret. Direct recording and postprocessing with fx from the daw.
    Here is a short result of my tweak. What do you think? Suitable?

Cheers
    Frank

External Content soundcloud.com

• Sounding great! Definitely close enough to Robben's tone for me.

If you're looking to get his sound even closer try adding more of those short staccato notes in your playing. To me that quick chrip sound he uses is one of the main things that always stands out in his playing to me (or the playing of people trying to sound like him).

• I find that the Treble Booster helps with dark rigs. You might give that a try.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Thanks wes for the reference and great playing!

I first tried the profile with my music man silhouette that just received a Thornbucker and the tone was somewhat off for robben tone (was great for its own right still). Then changed to Navigator LP and tweeked both the dly & rev quite a bit which was the missing piece to the puzzle. As a result the tone is pretty much spot on and even the fx are working quite nice eventhough the rev is still not quite as nice as you got it from plugin. Today was able to crank it and found it works really well also with volume which is not nearly always the case.

And thanks for the Great lesson as well. Learned again lot of phrasing etc ideas! :)

• Sounds awesome man!

When I got my KPA, it came with an autographed Robben Ford vinyl, and on the usb stick that had some profiles that came with it, was a crappy quality QuickTime movie file of Robben in a chair playing the heck out of some Dumble profile. The seller had said nothing about this. For about 5 minutes, I was like..."Did I just buy a kemper from Robben Ford". Unfortunately not though. :(

Disclaimer: When I post demo clips for profiles, there will be some minimal post-processing, unless stated otherwise. I normally double-track hard L/R, and add to the main buss a small amount of EQ and a limiter/comp set pretty light as well. Sometimes I get test profiles in advance of release, though 90% of my clips will be from packs I have purchased.