AX-Fx, AX8, Helix, Headrush vs Kemper

• In recent months I have listened to many videos played through AX-Fx, AX8, Helix, Headrush and kemper. All of these systems can produce very beautiful and dynamic sounds, however, when compared to the class sounds obtained with analog amplifiers, you can really feel the difference between the kemper and all the others.
    The kemper is still the only digital system that makes me relive the true sound of plexi, vox, bassman, etc. The other systems are perhaps more immediate, have more evolved characteristics, especially in the effects / editor, but their sound seems more distant from the classic analog sounds of the valves.
    So I conclude that, for me, there are still no alternative machines to kemper.

I would like to hear the opinion of someone using kemper and other digital instruments.

• The Kemper is the heart of amp tone. I've used other effect units where/when I prefer a compressor/delay/reverb but they are in the KPA's FX loop (locked)
    For some tones the FXII can tweak ear-wise enough to match the KPA and the KPA has lots of tone tweaking ability now to match the FXII, if you use effect-heavy tones.

Nothing beats the authenticity of the amp tone -> guitar pairing of the KPA when the amp is by itself. The FX can do a lot of effects sounds fantastically well.
    (think of 80's prog rock or that hair-teased-to-the-moon rock, cliffs of dover stuff...)

But when you need a raw amp or an amp that just nails the real tone of a commercial recording, the KPA delivers exactingly (assuming you have the right guitar, too.)

I think that other modelers were meant to be used in such a way that if you have a cheap guitar you can make a similar sound to your heroes. Close, but not authentic for most. Rarely ever spot on. No nailing Led Zeppelin like you were in the studio while a song was being made. The KPA can make exact matches by using profiles using the same (suspected) amp and same type of guitars. When it can't, it's the FX that are 'off' sound-wise and you need to get the correct or more exacting effects to match the exact tone.

If I had to grade things, my impressions are:
    KPA:
    AMP 10
    FX 8 (as a lot, overall)
    Interface: 10
    Size: 9 (kinda big)
    Editor: 1 (half done third party)
    Public/Private Rig Manager: 10

For the FXIIits:
    AMP 8
    FX 9
    Interface 8
    Editor: 10
    Public/Private Rig Manager: 1

No experience with the AX8.

FX8:
    AMP: 0 (there are none)
    FX 8 (not as flexible routing-wise as the FXII but still great effects)
    Interface: 5
    Editor: 10

Now if you ask FXII folks about sharing presets they'll tell you it's not really what it's about. That one person's preset won't sound the same with your guitar and you'll end up having to tweak it anyways. This is technically true of ALL guitars, them all being very different. But the best examples of amps for the Kemper sound like that amps with the guitars you would use with the real amp. Very little adjustment required, mostly volume adjustments, all done on the inputs. Profiles make the Kemper grow and grow and you can create upon the backs of many sharing profilers and still great commercially made ones.

These are just my observations and opinion. I've played the FXII alot and think it's a fantastic unit. If you love Steve Vai, Rush, etc you won't miss having a KPA. If you want to sound like that blues man on the Jazz circuit via 1958, nothing beats the KPA. 60's rock? Done. 70's rock? Done. Wanna get authentic Zeppelin, Who, Beatles, etc? KPA. I think it has a wider authenticity on nailing classic amps. And it can do modern and, hell, it's a Metal Monster, too.

That said, nothing wrong with owning multiple units or combos. I think the top two are KPA and Fractal still. I have an FX8 that I pair in the loop of the KPA. Used to own the Fractal ULTRA that I put the KPA in it's loop. These companies work well with each other but over time as they grow this is less and less a desire.

When I've tried others, it's downhill from there. Bias, bleh. Nice to have on an iPhone if you're stranded on an island. Haven't tried the new Line6, can't say. UAD plugins (or any plugin) amp tones just sucks compared to these hardware modelers, which surprises me considering UAD usually has quality stuff. But when you see 5 stars next to a Bluesbreaker Marshall on UAD's site you know it's shills or ppl who never toyed with these high end modelers/profiler.

Last Note: You can make ANY of these hardware units sound good on certain settings. The 11Rack, the HD500, heck, even my Line6 lima bean were capable of getting great sounds. But they tended to be clean sounds. Only the 11 Rack and Ultra and FX original started putting out top notch distortion tones. It's harder to pull off authentic distortion and only units in the last 4-5 years (longer for Fractal) can pull off any distortion well.

The reason why the KPA is a standout in another area: it's still just the same KPA that came out in 2012!

I got mine in 2013 and it hasn't changed much except to get more and better effects. There's been some minor tweaks to profiling, but the tones I got from Amp Factory and Armin (SoundSide) back in 2013 sound the same today as they did then. Meanwhile the Fractal units have gone through a huge software evolution (good thing, but frustrating if you want to match older recordings for any punch-ins) and often hardware changes making older units lose some equity. Not a deal breaker if you love what Fractal does, but you know with the KPA it's not going to change. It'll be the same in 5 years as it is today, fully supported (old Fractal units are made obsolete, but despite that still command equity, so they are a superb and strong product.)

Best amp tones on the market, huge and growing profile community, expanding FX set, top notch interface. When the KPA gets and Editor it'll be complete for some folks, but the Rig Manager and it's many knobs is perfect for me.

I get the impression that Fractal is learning as it goes, poking and prodding. I get the impression that Kemper has a long planned rollout of features that it's just implementing. That there is a more complete vision that started with a better idea for "modeling" than the traditional method of modeling. My honeymoon lasted 3 years. So I don't pick up the KPA now with the same glossy eyes I did back in the day. But it constantly reminds me that I made the best choice and keeps paying back dividends.

• I've used AX FX for my band's first EP (Ring Hollow) and my Vocalist is a up and coming producer (he uses Helix for his projects currently), and lastly, I have owned a Kemper since 2016.

The only way I can describe the subtle differences is "authenticity" the kemper has exactly that. What I have noticed is a lot of people who are exposed to AX or Helix are usually sold on those units and believe it is the same as a Kemper.

Modelers VS a profiler...its hard to compare. I have heard tones from each source and appreciate all of them for what they are. I think you hit it right on the head with this. Because it does require more patience and an ear for authenticity using a Kemper..some people just don't have the patience.

The other systems are perhaps more immediate, have more evolved characteristics, especially in the effects / editor, but their sound seems more distant from the classic analog sounds of the valves.

-Guitars/Songwriting for Ring Hollow
    -ESP-II T-7B / Emperion 6st / ASG 6st
    -Mesa Straight Slant 4x12
    -Kemper Profiler Power Head