[Request] Achieving Gary Moore's "Blues Alive" Tone

• Hi Guys, I hope this is the correct board for this kind of request:

For a long time now it has been my dream to someday achive this special Gary Moore Live Sound.

Now after getting a KPA I believe, I'm a step closer to this goal. Maybe you can help me getting there :)

What I'm looking for especially:
    - A really good direct or merged Soldano SOL 100 profile ( I believe Gary played in the clean channel through a Marshall Guv'nor Pedal )
    - Now it gets tricky: An IR or merged profile of a Marshall 1960 cab with EV speakers!

If anyone has already made an approach to achieve this sound or has some suggestions, I would be very thankful ;)

Cheers, David

PS: I'm not exclusively looking for free / non-commercial profiles etc. Should I post this in the commercial area too?

Lots of kids when they get their first instrument hammer away at it but they don't realise there are so many levels of dynamics with a guitar. You can play one note on a guitar and it really gets to people if it is the right note in the right place played by the right person.

Gary Moore

Edited 3 times, last by MrMangofresh ().

• Hi David! Just purchased a Kemper. Working hard on trying to achieve Gary's live tone too!

I'm a big fan of Gary Moore and absolutely love his tone throughout the Blues Alive album. Especially his tone on Cold Day in Hell, Pretty Woman and Still Got the Blues songs.

Let's keep in touch and share ideas on how to emulate that tone.

Best,
    Robert

• Hi Robert, how's your progress so far?

I just bought an old Guv'Nor Mark I, which is what Gary used for SGTB, because all other ODs I have and also the ones emulated in the Kemper won't do the trick for me.

The Guv'Nor does its job extremely well and I'm pretty close but not quite there yet.

I used the free "Fishers Sold 100" profile and tried different cabs etc, but somethings still missing.

The base tonality fits perfectly but when I compare it to the record it sounds "small and dull" somehow.

I can't put my finger on it, but there's something so very special about Gary's Tone on that album, some essence I'm just not able to replicate.

Maybe you really need an old 1959 Les Paul :D

Lots of kids when they get their first instrument hammer away at it but they don't realise there are so many levels of dynamics with a guitar. You can play one note on a guitar and it really gets to people if it is the right note in the right place played by the right person.

Gary Moore

• What you need is his agressive playing and attack and good sound technician. And a lot of bucks to get his original equipment.

We are happy to have a kemper, so we can come near to this tone ( never on spot but near).

Try the slo merged pack from guido bungenstock ( guidorist) for the price of a coffee. The cab he uses is on top but if you need a 1960, search for the free rigs from deadlightstudios in rm and have a look for a 1960AV from Lars.

You can also try to get this tone with a marshall. Andy from TAF has a great jcm 800 hot rod. This cool amp combined with a 1960AV is also in the ballpark. For me it is the best jcm 800 on the profilemarket.

The guitar is imho also a big thing. I own two gibsons. One Joe Perry loaded with 59er pu's and a special edition burst with dimarzio superdistortion and an air norton on neck.

The dimarzios are much better than the perry pu's. Much more "cream" in the sound.

Good luck when testing and let me also hear when you are spot on.

Cheers
    Frank

• Thank you Frank for your insight on this one :)

Gary Moore

• If I remember correctly Gary used Soldano Hot Rods for a lot of his live tours. You may want to check into that. I actually had the SLO along time ago and they are a little different in sound. Naturally, I found this out after I bought it.... Give that a try, there are some free ones out that are outstanding.

• Thank you guys, for all the info!

I've read the article about the equipment, which GM used for the "blues alive" concert. I never understood why he used two different Soldano models at the same time.
    Monitoring seems to answer that question. I remember reading somewhere else that it was definitely the SLO, which was recorderd.

But maybe that's not the whole truth after all. Maybe it was a mix of both of them.

Well I will keep experimenting :)

Gary Moore

Edited once, last by MrMangofresh ().