Line 6 HX Effects pedal

• Agree. Love the Teemah. I'm using the HX in 4CM with a Mesa/Boogie Lonestar Special. It's euphoria for me. For the first time in my life I'm actually dialing in MY tone. The HX Effects is worth every penny no matter where you put it in your fx chain. The new reverbs are stunning as well.

@GregGibbs Lots of questions pop up :
    - How does their spring reverb sound?
    - Did you try the IR loader with kemper's direct profiles? Is it any good?
    - Also is there any visibility on an editor for the HX?

• So I finally got around to making a video on how to connect the Kemper into the stereo loop of the HX Effects. Here's the video of my stereo connections and I also posted an example of how it sounds in stereo... Note that it's not perfect as it just captures the audio in the room as opposed to direct.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Can't you use the HX as a midi control, 1st example coming up is setting presets in the HX and associate midi commands to the kemper profiles used for these. you could sell the pod hd 500, and buy an amp in a box instead as a backup.
    Also, if you're using HX's delays and reverbs, what stereo effects would you still need from Kemper?

• Can't you use the HX as a midi control, 1st example coming up is setting presets in the HX and associate midi commands to the kemper profiles used for these. you could sell the pod hd 500, and buy an amp in a box instead as a backup.
    Also, if you're using HX's delays and reverbs, what stereo effects would you still need from Kemper?

Yeah, you could surely use the HX as a midi controller. I haven't actually put too much thought into consolidating everything into a smaller package (but I'm considering it now that I'm realizing how heavy my pedalboard has become). I realized, though, that I won't get much for my HD500, and it functions perfectly for my Kemper midi controller. I mainly use the HD500 to change amp profiles and then have the footswitches control specific timed delays and boosts and other things. The problem is that there are some things in the HX Effects that I really like and there are some things in the Kemper that I really like. I want the best of both worlds and neither the Kemper nor the HX Effects has everything that I want, so I use them both.

For the Kemper, I have 2 delays that I have assigned to all of my amps, 1 that is a dotted 1/8 note mono, and another 1 that is a 1/4 note stereo ping pong. While the delays in the HX Effects are good, really a lot of people believe that since Kemper's latest delays came out, they have surpassed Line 6's. I do agree with that, based on what I've heard and played around with. It's really the reverbs and dirty pedals in the HX that I like more than the delays.

• Honestly I have never found a digital distortion I really like and I have tried a lot. Are the HX dirt stomps really a viable alternative to an analog big muff and rat?

Personally I always found Line 6 FX sterile and disappointing apart from perhaps the verbs and delays. But if the delays in the Kemper are better than it doesn't leave much appeal beyond a cool midi controller with scribble strips.

Not saying I wouldn't seriously consider getting one - but I always find these things overcomplicate my setup and I end up going back to a few external single function stomps alongside the Kemper. Unless Line 6 have seriously upped their game (the M9 fx were generally weak) then I would be worried about getting this. Happy to be convinced otherwise.

• Honestly I have never found a digital distortion I really like and I have tried a lot. Are the HX dirt stomps really a viable alternative to an analog big muff and rat?

Personally I always found Line 6 FX sterile and disappointing apart from perhaps the verbs and delays. But if the delays in the Kemper are better than it doesn't leave much appeal beyond a cool midi controller with scribble strips.

Not saying I wouldn't seriously consider getting one - but I always find these things overcomplicate my setup and I end up going back to a few external single function stomps alongside the Kemper. Unless Line 6 have seriously upped their game (the M9 fx were generally weak) then I would be worried about getting this. Happy to be convinced otherwise.

Good point, bro! I think the Kemper FX are really good personally and I don't even scratch the surface. We are all tone hunting though, and the HX is actually a pretty good unit if you have a real amp or two, imho. Cheaper than a Helix at any rate, and all the FX.

• This is driving me crazy. I cannot get this to work.

Guitar —> HX Input (I plug my guitar cable into the HX Input L/Mono 1)

HX Left Send —> Kemper Input (HX Effect 1 Output to the Front Kemper Guitar Input)

HX Right Send —> Kemper Alternate Input (in back)

Kemper L —> HX L Return (This is the main Stereo Output, the same ones I use to feed my Monitor Controller for my Studio Monitors Right, can I use both Outputs together?

Kemper R —> HX R Return (Same as Above)

HX L and R out —> FRFR speaker/amp

I've tried this with both assigning a Stereo Loop inside Kemper's Effects, as well as a Mono and with nothing assigned and I get nothing on output.

I was able to do the traditional 7 cable method prior to trying your suggestion, and it worked for Stereo Effects in the Time based part of Kemper, but the creating a mono loop in Kemper, it would allow me to use the Compressors and drives, but it also boosted the signal throughout the entire chain making it unusable.

• Ok, so I've actually figured it out, and in many situations, this works. However, in mine, its not practical. I mainly work with my Kemper in a studio environment. So for this to work for me, I'd have to feed my studio monitors, via my monitor controller using use the stereo output of the HX Effects, whereas right now, I have the Main Stereo Outputs of my Kemper going into one of the Stereo Inputs of my studio monitor controller and my Recording Interface being fed by my SPDIF from my Kemper, which connected this way, would not have my HX Effects in the stereo path.

Am I missing something?????

• Ok, so I've actually figured it out, and in many situations, this works. However, in mine, its not practical. I mainly work with my Kemper in a studio environment. So for this to work for me, I'd have to feed my studio monitors, via my monitor controller using use the stereo output of the HX Effects, whereas right now, I have the Main Stereo Outputs of my Kemper going into one of the Stereo Inputs of my studio monitor controller and my Recording Interface being fed by my SPDIF from my Kemper, which connected this way, would not have my HX Effects in the stereo path.

Am I missing something?????

Here's the key - the Kemper can NOT take a stereo input. You have to go mono into EITHER the front input, OR the Alternate Input in the rear. You can't do both - it took me a while to figure this out. There is an input setting where you choose either input as the input into the Kemper.

The way I run it, I have my guitar running into the HX Effects (input --> compressor --> overdrive --> stereo loop [which tells it to send to the Kemper]) then back into the Kemper MONO into the front input (HX Send 1 to Kemper front input).

In the Kemper, it goes to a Noisegate --> mono delay --> Octaver --> amp --> cab --> stereo delay --> stereo reverb) and then it goes from the Kemper L and R outputs in the back to the Return 1 and Return 2 of the HX Effects, and then it continues the HX Effects chain: stereo tremolo --> stereo delay --> stereo reverb --> stereo looper. Then it goes from HX Effects Output 1 and 2 to my set up.

This is the way to use all of the stereo effects properly. As of the current Kemper OS, all effects prior to the amp and cab are mono (Stomps A-D) and then turn stereo (Effects buttons X, Mod, Delay, and Reverb). So the limiting factor is that all effects going into the amp and cab sections of the Kemper are summed to mono anyway.

Does this make sense barryjohns2126 ?

• I’m still confused I guess. I just spent the last two hours trying to figure it all out I’m about ready to give up.

Are you saying that you are able to run the HX Ffects like compressor, distortion, overdrive before the preamp section of the Kemper and then be able to run stereo effects like modulation, delay, reverb as well from the HX Effects?

I’ve been able to get it to do one or the other, but not both with my Kemper. I can of course get it to work perfectly with my Bogner Amp in mono using the four cable method.

• I’m still confused I guess. I just spent the last two hours trying to figure it all out I’m about ready to give up.

Are you saying that you are able to run the HX Ffects like compressor, distortion, overdrive before the preamp section of the Kemper and then be able to run stereo effects like modulation, delay, reverb as well from the HX Effects?

I’ve been able to get it to do one or the other, but not both with my Kemper. I can of course get it to work perfectly with my Bogner Amp in mono using the four cable method.

Amaze_B has a good way of doing it. Personally, I'd prefer the HX to be in the loop of the Kemper rather than the other way around though.

So, 1) Guitar to HX

2) HX out to Kemper

3) Kemper send (direct out) to HX

4) HX send to Kemper stereo return

5) Kemper outputs to Speaker

The key to doing this is using the Send/Return blocks in the HX as opposed to the loop block. This will allow you to enter the HX signal chain after your pre-amp effects and then send the signal back with your post amp FX.

You can then open a stereo (or mono loop) within one of the post-amp slots on the Kemper. :thumbup:

• A couple of questions:

Doing it this way, don't you have to add and effects send/return to every single patch you plan to use the HX Effects on?

Doing it this way would only allow you to either use the typical effects that are typically before the amp input (Compressor/OD/Distortion, etc) or the typical effects that would go in the Send/Return of an amp (Chorus/Delay/Reverb) because you can't use more than 1 Send/Return in the Kemper, so you'd not be Able to lets say, put an HX Effects Overdrive before the Amp Profile of the Kemper and at the same time, place a Delay in the Post Amp Profile. It would be either/or but not both, isn't that correct?

Curious to hear your thoughts on this......

As of tonight, I've got the Kemper in the Effects Send/Return of the HX Effects. I also have both the Kemper and the HX Effects wired into a patchy, along with my Bogner Ecstasy 101B, so I can easily patch the HX Effects between the two effortlessly. I plan to do the same with the remainder of my pedals. I like having everyone in the patchy, in the event I want to patch any pieces in to ProTools HD in my home Studio.

• I am not sure if I follow this method, but I'd like to hear more!

I originally had the HX Effects in the Stereo Loop of the Kemper because that's what I thought would work best. Like barryjohns2126 first post above, I thought I could use the front input and the alternate input of the Kemper as a L and R stereo input into the Kemper, but then I found out that the Kemper only takes a mono input.

However, since I wanted to take advantage of the stereo effects of the HX, I put the Kemper into the stereo loop of the HX since the HX can receive a stereo signal. So, I basically kept the format of the Kemper - any effects before the amp and cab are mono, and any effects after are stereo. Same thing with the HX - I put all mono effects from the HX before the stereo loop (which is the placement of the Kemper) so that any stereo effects coming out of the Kemper are coming into the HX as stereo. Then I placed additional HX stereo effects after the stereo loop. It's really overkill, but I thought this would preserve the stereo signal.

• I am not sure if I follow this method, but I'd like to hear more!

I originally had the HX Effects in the Stereo Loop of the Kemper because that's what I thought would work best. Like barryjohns2126 first post above, I thought I could use the front input and the alternate input of the Kemper as a L and R stereo input into the Kemper, but then I found out that the Kemper only takes a mono input.

However, since I wanted to take advantage of the stereo effects of the HX, I put the Kemper into the stereo loop of the HX since the HX can receive a stereo signal. So, I basically kept the format of the Kemper - any effects before the amp and cab are mono, and any effects after are stereo. Same thing with the HX - I put all mono effects from the HX before the stereo loop (which is the placement of the Kemper) so that any stereo effects coming out of the Kemper are coming into the HX as stereo. Then I placed additional HX stereo effects after the stereo loop. It's really overkill, but I thought this would preserve the stereo signal.

Well, the HX has the ability to create something like a loop send at one point in its signal chain and a loop return at another point. By using my signal chain, you could have your ODs, wah, DS, etc in front of the Kemper. Then you could have the reverbs, delays, etc running between the send-return points of the loop. Signal then taps back into the Kemper wherever you have positioned the mono/stereo loop.

In hindsight though, your method seems much cleaner and simpler!

The pre-amp FX are achieved by running directly into the HX and then into the Kemper. The post-amp FX would be achieved by using a send and then a return loop insert in the HX signal chain.

Yes, you'd have to use a mono/stereo loop FX slot in the Kemper. This would allow you to have certain FX from the HX in front of the Kemper and others within the loop.

As mentioned above, in hindsight, Amaze_B's method is much simpler and will save you a slot. Sorry for the confusion :)

• Yeah, I think we're talking about the same thing. I have HX compressor and DS running in front of the Kemper, then HX Stereo Loop to Kemper, and then all of the Kemper's chain, Kemper Stereo send back to HX (and HX Stereo returns, of course) and then continuing the HX chain, I have some more stereo effects like tremolo, reverb, delay, and then looper. I just use the FX Loop in the HX and then I have all the slots in the Kemper at my disposal.

• This continues to kick my butt!!!

Here is what I did based on your notes above:

So, 1) Guitar to HX Effects (Input L (Mono)

2) HX Effects Output L (Mono) to Kemper Front Input

3) Kemper Direct Output (Send) to HX Effects Return 1

4) HX Effects Send 1 and 2 (Stereo) to Kemper Return Input and Alternative Input (Rear of Kemper)

5) Kemper Main Outputs (L/R) to Stereo Studio Monitors

Created a Stereo Loop in Kemper in the (X) Position, right after Amp/EQ/Cabinet - The only signal I get is the effect along with a dry guitar signal, meaning, I get no amp tones from the Stack.......

I am able to get all effects Before Amp/EQ/Cabinet.

I tried Creating a Stereo Send (Going back to the Kemper L/R Return) and a Mono Return (The Return being fed by the Kemper Mono Send)

• This is how I used to set up the HX in the Stereo Effects loop of the Kemper (page 159 of the Kemper manual):

1-Guitar to input of Kemper

2-Kemper Send to HX Effects Return 1 (Kemper effects will only be sent mono to HX)

3-HX Send 1 and 2 to Kemper Return and Kemper Alternative Return

4-Main outs

However, I found there to be more flexibility with the Kemper in the FX loop of the HX. If you want to try my stereo method where the Kemper is in the Stereo FX Loop of the HX, here are the exact ins and outs:

Physical connections:

1) Guitar to HX input (mono L)

2) HX Send 1 to Kemper Front Input (make sure you check the Kemper Input settings and have your front input as the main input, not the Alternate input in the back - or you could always plug it in the alternate input in the back and have that assigned as the main input)

3) Kemper L and R Main Out to HX Return 1 and Return 2

4) HX out to either headphones, or L/R Out to monitors, front of house, powered speakers, or whatever is your final output

The signal chain of your effects will be as follows:

Dry Guitar (1 from above) -->

HX Effects (best to use mono effects first because it will sum back to mono going back into the Kemper) (2 from above)-->

Kemper Stomps A through D (all mono effects) -->

Kemper Amp -->

Kemper Cab (after this point, everything will be stereo) -->

Kemper stereo Effects blocks (Mod, X, Delay, Reverb) (3 from above) -->

HX Effects Stereo FX Loop (you have to insert this into your HX Signal Chain assigned because this tells you where the Kemper signal chain is inserted into the HX signal chain - if you don't have an FX Stereo Loop in your chain, you may not get a signal or it may just be dry) -->

HX Effects stereo effects --> (4 from above)

I hope this helps. If not, I can make a video for you if you can't get it to work.

• One other thing - I forgot that the Kemper does allow for a Stereo Input for an MP3 player/iphone, etc. To do this, you use the Return and Alternative Input for a stereo in for jamming purposes.

However, a stereo guitar signal will not work because Stomps A-D are summed to mono. I believe that's what the problem is... I'm hoping this is a software fix, because I heard CK and team were working on a way to move the delay and reverb into Stomps A-D.

• One other thing - I forgot that the Kemper does allow for a Stereo Input for an MP3 player/iphone, etc. To do this, you use the Return and Alternative Input for a stereo in for jamming purposes.

However, a stereo guitar signal will not work because Stomps A-D are summed to mono. I believe that's what the problem is... I'm hoping this is a software fix, because I heard CK and team were working on a way to move the delay and reverb into Stomps A-D.

You can already move the delay in slots A to D. However, in these slots, the signal will be mono.

Usually, if I wanted post-amp FX, I would use the X or Mod slots as they are stereo capable and more importantly after the Kemper amp and cab.

Meanwhile, you can use any stomps you'd like in A to D or on the HX running directly in front.

• You can already move the delay in slots A to D. However, in these slots, the signal will be mono.

Usually, if I wanted post-amp FX, I would use the X or Mod slots as they are stereo capable and more importantly after the Kemper amp and cab.

Meanwhile, you can use any stomps you'd like in A to D or on the HX running directly in front.

Yes, you can have a delay in A to D, but like you said, they're mono. I believe the hope was that CK and team would make a fix for stereo delays and reverbs in those slots. Thanks for the clarification nightlight