I'm modding a wah into a Mission Expression KP. Do I need to change the pot?

• Hey, everyone!

I plan on taking a mini-wah and modding it to be a controller for my Kemper, preferably exactly like the Mission EP-1 KP, which I currently have and like a lot. And just so I have a full picture of what's going on, if I did want to make it have a sweep more like a normal ernie ball or dunlop volume pedal, what pot would I use for that?

I plan on following these instructions and adding the extra step of wiring the switch to a TS jack, hopefully on the same side of the pedal as the TRS jack if there's a hole drilled already. Or maybe I can drill my own hole, tell me if that's a bad idea and involves more than just drilling a hole with an electric drill and the correct drillbit.

Any and all input is very appreciated, thanks!

• To the OP: can't speak specifically to the Ernie ball nor Dunlop volume pedal sweeps, but when I modded my cry baby I did have to change the pot to a 10k linear to get a nice sweep for volume use. The standard cry baby 100k pot works ok but isn't a linear sweep so doesn't work too well for volume pedal usage. But using the modded exp pedal as a wah is ok with that non linear pot.

Also if you like the mission sweep I think if you score a used cry baby or vox for cheap you will get a better match since the physical body and so physical sweep of those pedals are almost identical to the mission. Not sure about your mini wah as you call it.

Personally i actually prefer having the trs and switch jacks on opposite sides, which a crybaby already is drilled for. That way I can use right angled cable connectors for both without them getting in each others way if they were both on the same side.

• If you want the pedal to respond just like your Mission pedal, I suggest replacing the pot with the same type as in the Mission, instead of trying to use the pot that is currently in the pedal.

from the mission websites specs it's a 10k linear. I don't have a mission pedal but using a 10k linear in my modded cry baby gives a good experience for me.

• Did anybody try it with a Crybaby mini? I have ordered all the parts, hope they all fit.

I'm doing this , although it didn't turn out as I expected ... I need to fabricate a small bracket that holds the potmeter. The one I bought was too big so it did not fit/align in the space where it should rest ...

Hope to continue this week, was kinda pissed that I didn't go that well , now feel like starting again :)

Raf

ps : this is for my backup helix stomp !

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp

• Wow! I wouldn’t have thought of making a bracket. I’ve been searching for a mini 10k Lin pot, as the Dunlop one is too big. If you get this to work and you would like to make another one, I’d be interested in buying one.

• I've converted a broken Tube Amp Doctor Wah Pedal, the original pot is still in there and works just fine. But I must ad, I only use it for wah and effects, since the mechanical sweep of wah pedal housings really doesn't suit my needs for volume adjustments. Im using a Boss FV500H there.

How is the sweep with the wah pot? It would be a lot easier if that worked.

• I just turned a volume pedal to an expression pedal. You just need a 10 linear pot for wah and a MOMENTARY switch for on and off. Works fine.

the "wiper" of the pot goes to the "tip" of the tip ring sleeve "stereo" jack. I don't remember which other wires to to ring and sleeve, but the worst case it it will work backwards and you can switch the other wires.

• Wow! I wouldn’t have thought of making a bracket. I’ve been searching for a mini 10k Lin pot, as the Dunlop one is too big. If you get this to work and you would like to make another one, I’d be interested in buying one.

I actually managed but in the end I will go for a regular mini expression pedal such as the dunlop dvp4 mini's or DOD mini expression ...

The bracket worked but instead of making a more elegant solution (I actually wanted to 3D print the bracket :o ...) I let go ...

The dunlop is indeed too big , did not find these square potmeters in 10k ohm ...

I screwed up the original bracket which pissed me off big time !

Raf

Kemper stage with 2 mission pedals (in a Thon line 6 FBV case) and a Zilla 212 (K-100/V30) , SD powerstage 700 poweramp