Setup question; Mono FOH and stereo monitoring (IEM)

• Fairly new to kemper and loving it.

How do I route this;

Mono to FOH and stereo for IEM?

We split all signals on stage ; to FOH and to my QU16 for IEM (and recording live).

I monitor in stereo (via an Allen Heath ME1) which makes for a great in ear mix

Is it simple enough to send only one(left) side of the stereo main out to FOH? This way I can still go stereo to our monitor desk ? Otherwise what would the routing be so that I can maintain stereo In ear monitoring but send mono to FOH?
    Can I send a mono signal via some other output ?

Thanks /Darrin

• Hi Darrin,
    Basically I do the same but with Behringer stuff called XAir 18 and the dedicated PM 16.
    I go Stereo Main out L/R into the splitter , stereo into FOH and via ethernet cable from the XAir into the PM 16 and from there stereo into my IEM

Why reducing the fun to mono when you can have stereo? :D

If the amount of channels is a matter then just go Main out either L/R but make sure to set the output parameter of the Main out properly ( press output button and check page 1/6 on the KPA)

stay tuned... :thumbup:

• Thanks for your response. Any concerns sending stereo to FOH? I have been experimenting with the setup to see if a stereo signal (together or left only only) diminishes the tone strength at all. The mono signal cuts nicely for sure but I much prefer the effects in stereo while monitoring. Some of the profiles I use are ambient patches that are considerably different in mono.

Any thoughts on getting to FOH in mono other than the mains?

• For FOH :
    Just go mono out of one of the lines or xlrs ( set to Master mono out )

For monitors ;
    Set direct out as left side ( or right )
    Set monitor out as the other side

• Thanks Robman! long time lurker - can say that this box is one of the best investments I have made!

I am still wondering if there is any downside to using the monitor out to go to front of house? Makes sens if the house is looking for a mono send while I am trying to maintain stereo monitoring on stage.. curious of there is a downside.

• Any thoughts on getting to FOH in mono other than the mains?

Honestly, most of the systems in clubs - at least here in Germany- will run the FOH in mono anyway.
    So there is no real need for going stereo to the FOH.

So, yes, you could use the stereo mains for your delight and the mono out for FOH but make sure that the FOH gets a constant volume. You can adjust that in the output section, me thinks...

stay tuned... :thumbup:

• I use the same set up as you. I go into the QU-16 Mono for FOH from the monitor out on the kemper, this allows me to use the stereo outs on the kemper in to the QU-16 for my IEM mix and i can have Space on IEM mix. Love space when using IEM's

Appreciate the feedback - wasn't sure if it was an issue sending to FOH from monitor out - did you spend time a/b ing the patches at all? - I use the ME -1 monitor and absolutely preferred monitoring in stereo

many thanks

• Isn't it possible to use the monitor out of the Kemper (which is mono) for FOH and the main L-R out for your IEM, problem solved! :)

Edit.. sorry, has already been said before here.. Wake up wimmetje :sleeping:

• Thanks Robman! long time lurker - can say that this box is one of the best investments I have made!

I am still wondering if there is any downside to using the monitor out to go to front of house? Makes sens if the house is looking for a mono send while I am trying to maintain stereo monitoring on stage.. curious of there is a downside.

Its just more difficult to get to the Monitor controls in a hurry.

Also, if you accidentally hit the 'Monitor Cab off' then it will sound terrible out front.

Also, it will be an unbalanced send which many sound engineers won't be happy about unless you use a D.I. Box.

Like I said, you can send a mono signal from one of the output or xlr jacks by selecting it in the 'Output Menu' , page 1/6 on the Main Output fader then set Monitor Out to Master Left and Direct Output to Master right on the same page.