Van Halen EVH Sammy Hagar Era Tones - 5150 to Balance

• Hi Guys,

Got the Kemper and Remote in December and looking for some quality Van Hagar era profiles. I am learning 5150 (the song) so something to match that tone would be awesome!

I am new to all this and pretty non technical having previously only played with a practice amp (please be gentle !! ;) ) so a profile that includes the effects built ready to plug and play would be amazing. I know the Kemper now has the harmonizer but would not know where to start ! I have seen the post from Liam Thompson on the settings but struggling.

Any help or sharing gratefully received.

Hendrix and SRV profiles/pointers also gratefully received.

Cheers!

• #1 is to be in stereo.

#2 Get an MBritt profile pack (the new 3rd power pack nails the tone)

#3 Generously apply the CE-1 chorus in the post effects section, as well as a stereo delay.
    You can find Eddie’s delay settings if you google it.

• EVH used an Eventide Harmonizer with the -9/+9 semitones left an right with probably 10 msec delay and 12 msec (if I remember correctly. Unfortunately the Kemper's Profiler doesn't have a harmonizer that you can control the important parameters to achieve the desired effect. I use an H9 on the fx loops to achieve that. A good option is to use the delay from the Kemper and set it at 10 to 15 sec and play around with the modulation until you get the desired effect. Also play with the mix settings(25% to 50%) I hope Kemper will include a better harmonizer that's inspired from the old and new Eventide Harmonizers

Friedman BE100, Suhr PT100SE, Mesa Boogie Dual Recto,EVH 5150 iii S, 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, Vox AC30 (2) Marshall 1960B, Port City 2 x 12 OS Wave, Scumback speakers (4)BH75,(4)M75,(4)H75,(1)H55(1)Celestion V30 Fryette PS attenuator, Mesa Boogie 2 90, Kemper Profiler amp and tons of rack and fx pedals
    ProTools 10.3.5 HD5 , Logic Pro 10.1,Ableton 9 Live. Dynaudio BM6a with BM9S sub and Focals Alpha 80

• The "Eventide h3000" was indeed the effect on his guitar however, the specific effect is "Micro pitch"

It would have been -9/+9 cents, not semitones.

I think the kemper may be able to do this, but I'm not at the studio to confirm.

"Sound toys" "Micro Shift" will nail the sound if added in post.

• I've tried it many times with the Kemper and it's not even close. I think the issue is that you can't control the stereo pitch cents(sorry for the wrong term) per channel and also the delay. Trust me, I own a the real one and I also use the H9 for live.

Friedman BE100, Suhr PT100SE, Mesa Boogie Dual Recto,EVH 5150 iii S, 68' Metro/Friedman Plexi, Vox AC30 (2) Marshall 1960B, Port City 2 x 12 OS Wave, Scumback speakers (4)BH75,(4)M75,(4)H75,(1)H55(1)Celestion V30 Fryette PS attenuator, Mesa Boogie 2 90, Kemper Profiler amp and tons of rack and fx pedals
    ProTools 10.3.5 HD5 , Logic Pro 10.1,Ableton 9 Live. Dynaudio BM6a with BM9S sub and Focals Alpha 80

• Thanks Guys,

Would a detune in front of the kemper work ? There's a guy named Kent Carlevi on you tube that gets some great tones with the kemper and that seems to be what he is using.

Cheers

• You need to have it post distortion or after the amp to get it to sound clean.I believe EVH used the Eventide H949 Harmonizer after a dummy load live. In the studio it was added to the mix. In front of the amp would sound messy. The Top Jimi EVH profiles are good, but I ended up using cabs from my own Plexi's profiles because I felt they sounded a bit dark for my taste.

• Given that the KPA can't profile modulation or delay, it wouldn't be possible to get the whole tone "baked in"
    eljodon is also correct that the effect has to be at very least, after the pre-amp, but preferably after the power amp.
    In my days as a touring guitarist, I used a h3000 in my Bradshaw system, but after some trial and error, our foh guy and I decided that it actually worked better after the mic.
    For convenience and control reasons, it stayed in my rack but in the studio was always after the mic.
    For best results, a wet, dry, wet, setup is the way to go.