folders in the Kemper Profiler

• Hi there !
    What about the possibility to create folders inside the Kemper Profiler to organize the profiles ? Such as, for instance, "clean profiles", "crunch profiles" or "Strat profiles", "Gibson profiles" (they could be at the same location than "favorite rigs", "all rigs"...).
    It would be, in my opinion, very useful to have this possibility without having to rename the profiles themselves.
    Anyone with me ?... ;)

• This is a great idea. :)

I've thought about this too although rather than a folder structure i'd suggest that the functionality should be to add tags to profiles with the intention of adding multiple tags to a profile.

So for example I might tag a profile as 'Dual Rec', 'Crunch', 'Soundgarden', 'Black Hole Sun', 'Les Paul', 'Grunge', etc. Then you could easily filter all profiles for a certain amp or type or just browse between profiles you've made for a certain artist or genre. I'd particularly like to be able to tag profiles for a specific guitar as I have a bunch of very different sounding guitars with different requirements and sometimes I just want to quickly go between profiles that I know work well for the one I'm holding. At the moment I can only think of setting up performances to organise profiles but then you'd end up with multiple copies of profiles which I don't want to manage.

The main advantage of tagging over a folder structure is that it gives the flexibility to add profiles to multiple locations. A folder structure is better than nothing but still limiting.

• It really was wished many times.
    In my opinion, a new subdirectory structure would have a very deep impact on the operating system. Additional filter criteria could be useful.

As far as I know, the structure was created when there was no rig manager or performances.
    It could be that the benefits may now be small in relation to the effort.

• I've only been using the Kemper for a couple weeks now and this is DEFINITELY something I've been wishing for. Be it folders or tags, either would be amazing. Just to be able to sort through so many profiles so much quicker.
    So far I've been trying to just keep as few profiles as possible on the actual Kemper and leaving all the rest on my computer. Keeping only ones that I know are favorites on the unit itself. I also put a " * " at the beginning of my clean profiles to be able to tell those apart quicker. Being able to put multiple tags on each and then search by tags would be ideal, but even just being able to put them in a few different folders would be a huge plus.

• Keeping just the Rigs on your Profiler that you really want to play and maintaining the big Rig collection in Rig Manager makes a lot of sense. It's a best practice and not just a workaround.

The Profiler offers Tags, Views like My Rigs, Favorites, Just Bass and different sort criteria like by Name, by creation Date, by Gain. So instead of putting an asterisk in front of every clean Rig you could simply sort by gain and the clean Rigs get in front regardless of their name. At that time the higain Rigs are automatically at the end and the crunch Rigs are in the middle, if that is the way you are typically searching sounds. You can also combine and limit your View to just your Favorites and sort those by gain. Then you might end up with perhaps 30 Rigs in gain order. That should be feasible.

Theoretically one could store up to 1000 Rigs in the Profiler's Browse Pool. But we really don't recommend that and I don't see how we could enhance the Profiler's user interface to make dealing with that many Rigs funny and effective. This is really the domain of Rig Manager.

• While I agree with @Burkhard that keeping the number of rigs on the KPA at a sensible level and using rig manager as the main store of profiles is a good way to use the KPA, I don't think this fully answers the use case proposed by @metalloony. And sometimes there is a benefit to having many profiles.

For example, I have bought many rig packs and have profiled 4 or 5 amps. Let's say for argument sake I have the 5 amps I own and 10 profile packs, not to mention lots of one off profiles, but we'll exclude those. Each amp pack/profiling session commonly gives me around 30 profiles. Of those 30 I would probably pick my favourite 10, so I would have a broad range of what the amp can do, a couple of clean profiles, some light break up, crunch, distortion, lead, boosted etc. This isn't excessive at all. By the time I've done this with the 10 packs and 5 profiled amps I have 150 profiles. It's getting a pain browsing them even at this stage, but it would be amazing to be able to have a folder for each pack/amp so users could pick amp (top level directory) then pick the actual profile from within this directory. The same could be applied to FX - pick by effect type, then preset.

If we could define custom tags (Current Author, Favourites, etc) it would be possible to do what the OP wants.

• If the Rigs of each Rig pack start with a unique abbreviation like ours do (TAF -, MB - ...) and the Rigs of your five amps carry their five names (Mars, Fan,...) you could sort all your Rigs by name and use the Up and Down Buttons of the Rig Navigation Cross to move from starting character to starting character as if these would be folders. It's practically the same. In addition you can narrow into your profiled Rigs by selecting My Rigs.

• @Burkhard all good points, and something I use.

The problem comes when you have a requirement to sort by two or more criteria. For example I found the merged profiles a great improvement - a lot of the time I play with a traditional cab so they really are a best of both worlds improvement - so I have a need to sort by Merged. So in that case I have a _m_ prefix. But this then means I can't also sort by amp name.

It's not meant as an attack on the KPA, but a suggestion that I feel would improve it. As the profilers capabilities have expanded in my opinion a real need for 'sorting', 'grouping' and 'filtering' in general has developed, which can be seen in a lot of the feature requests, particularly this one and the ones about fx preset management, and possibly might even answer some of the use cases in the 'ridiculously long toxic thread that is best not mentioned', usually lurking at the topic of the feature requests forum.

• I just try to find an immediate pain relief:-)

As I understand, your intend is to place the Merged Rigs in a separate folder. And then be able to select that folder and sort by Rig Name or Amp/Cab Name or Author within that folder. From what you write it appears those Merged Rigs are your favorites. Why don't you simply flag those as Favorites (instead of moving those into a folder), then select the View Favorites (instead of selecting the folder) and then sort by Rig Name, Amp/Cab or Author?