Celestion F12-X200 (Full Range, Live Response Driver) Released

• A review with the KPA

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• A review with the KPA

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Doesn't he know you're supposed to tape off the Gibson logo now?:D

• Not commenting on the speaker, but I had one of those Montage 1 x 12" cabs and have to say they are not very good for road use.

Tolex easily scratches and the whole assembly just felt cheap but not so cheerful ...

Nowhere near Mesa baltic birch quality.

• Just reminded myself of the date I asked for availability notifications from Sweetwater on availability of the F12-X200: January 13. It's now July 11. Here's what they've been saying all along: "Reserve your pre-order now, risk-free, or contact us for more information. We expect these to arrive in just a few weeks."

Wow.

• there are new Jensen Speakers D Series for Kemper

maybe they are available

anybody tested them ?

Those are very interesting, their response looks a bit like a whizzer cone full range without the response weirdness. IMHO the Kemper Kone would possibly be closer to the Jensen D than maybe a F12-X200 full range.

• yeah maybe, but i like the F12 very much, maybe the best solution i got until now

lets see what the Kemper Konen will bring

defnitly the F12 sound s the most authentic to me more than all frfr cabs i had

and i tried a lot of them

• Hello,

I freshly received my Kemper, which I already tested earlier in the year with studio monitors, and it was really great.

I decided to test the F12X200 thrown into a Palmer empty cab, waiting to see what I'll do when the price of the kemper Kab is known...

And I must say I lived the same experience than Jeeega. Sound was very unpleasant, he said like coming from the other room, I agree, I agree also with a lot of the terms he employed like here :

They also lack something I could define as "life". With the traditional case the crunch sounds for example react at the level of dynamics exactly as a true tube amp would do, which I own and can connect at any time to verify. They don't make your heart beat, they don't convey emotions, they don't push you to linger on a sound for half an hour just to try to listen to all the nuances because they are missing ... they are rather flat and precise, they look much more like a bad amp transistor than a tube.

When I tested with the studio monitor (it was KRK rockit 8") I remember clearly it was more pleasant and impressive to listen the profiles in the monitors than in my headphones, while with the F12X200+Palmer it's A LOT more pleasant in the headphones, really.

I went to the rehearsal room where there are passive 12" yamaha PAs (forgot to note the name, sorry) and I plugged my amplified toaster directly in one of them. It was already much better, no comparison possible.

So I sent back the Palmer, bought 100€ of birch plywood and a piece of PVC tube in order to give a chance to the recommended ported cab. I also purchased (at least to do a 30-day test) two FRFR cabs : a yamaha DXR10, active, and a ElectroVoice ELX112, passive. I'll do a A/B/C comparison.

I also wonder if I won't try other things, cause it may also be that it's (at least partly) a matter of taste, and each one has to find the solution that is ok for himself. I’ve seen passive HK audio linear5 12” speakers that seem to be at a quite high quality level in the same range of prices for instance.

• there are new Jensen Speakers D Series for Kemper

maybe they are available

anybody tested them ?

Fender seems to be using a custom version of those N12D, in their new tonemaster Deluxe reverb and Twin reverb modeling amps. the speakers are Jensen N-12K neodymium and sound like this:

• Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I think the context is good to have. I finally got my F12-X200's from Sweetwater (who had a heck of a time getting them from Celestion - we all know about the delays there), so I decided to go ahead and order a couple of the Celestion reference design cabs custom from the excellent folks at Zilla. While I'm waiting for these to be built and delivered, has anyone else in the states received theirs yet? If so, how are they working for you?

I found this video pretty interesting with respect to setting them up for use with a Kemper:

External Content www.youtube.com

• Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I think the context is good to have. I finally got my F12-X200's from Sweetwater (who had a heck of a time getting them from Celestion - we all know about the delays there), so I decided to go ahead and order a couple of the Celestion reference design cabs custom from the excellent folks at Zilla. While I'm waiting for these to be built and delivered, has anyone else in the states received theirs yet? If so, how are they working for you?

I found this video pretty interesting with respect to setting them up for use with a Kemper:

External Content www.youtube.com

Thanks for the post, very timely in that in the last few weeks I received a pair of F12-X200's from Sweetwater. Got the first one, and liked it so much I got a second. One is in a Rocktron 1X12 ported cab, the other is in a small repurposed Peavey 1X12 monitor wedge cab. I have gigged once with the one in the Peavey cab, and it did a spectacular job. But the Zilla video will also be interesting and I'm sure helpful as well.

The F12's have a great tone to them, and seem to work great with the majority of profiles, and does not work bad with any I've played so far. In fact while testing them I ended up playing continuously for a few hours, which is always good news with a new speaker (you forget it's a test and just dig the playing). Still coming to terms with them, but they seem to avoid the majority of things I dislike about standard FRFRs (tone balance issues at high volumes, harshness, poor dispersion). Very happy with them so far.

The only issues I've run into are these: there were issues getting the speaker to fit in the Peavey cab, while multiple other Celestions fit into that same cab just fine. The frame seems to be slightly larger in diameter than other Celestions, which may affect front load cabs. The other issue is the F12-X200 has an abundance of bass, and I felt the need to roll off quite a bit of lows in the Peavey cab. However the Peavey cab had a unconnected tweeter that I removed, and maybe that caused the bass heaviness. I plan to reinstall the tweeter to plug the hole and try it again on a gig this weekend.

• Would a 1x12 cab with only one f12x200 be oke?
    The powered kemper is 600 watts against the celestion 200 watts . is it going to survive that?

come to think of it : my bogner cab has two celestion v30's in it, and they also had no problem with it,
    so a 1x12 cab with a single 200 watt speaker could be oke ?

Edited 2 times, last by Dorrus ().