Celestion F12-X200 (Full Range, Live Response Driver) Released

• Dual purpose - cat scratching post lol. No, seriously, I'm not sure but I think it would cut down on certain frequencies, no?

I just wasn't sure about what type of cabinet this was intended for to get optimal results. Could it be a direct replacement for speakers in cabinets like QSC K12 or Yamaha DXR12? then you'd probably want some similar designed cabinet with various options even Pole mounts in case you get too much bass in different room etc.

Once we have the full specs we can start taking a look at what effect cab size/dimensions will have on this driver. Also, Celestion said they would provide guidance on cab construction/sizing at a later date.

That makes a lot of sense because that was really what I was curious about, Thanks

• Dual purpose - cat scratching post lol. No, seriously, I'm not sure but I think it would cut down on certain frequencies, no?

Unless the cab was SO LARGE that it represented a substantial portion of the rooms' surface area... or the carpeting was so thick it provided damping as part of the cabinet itself (neither of which are likely), I can't imagine how it would make any difference.

• The idea of trying to make the cab neutral is on the right track but you can only go so far with that approach. Just because you have lined/packed a cabinet with foam or some other acoustic absorbtion material does not mean that it's volume, dimensions and any ports have no impact on the sound whatsoever.

The cab will still have some resonances and the air in it will interact with the diaphragm of the speaker and if it has any ports they are going to factor in also. The solid material of the cab - ply, particle board, solid timber etc - is also going to have acoustic properties which will contribute to the sound especially at high volumes. No two enclosure designs will sound the same.

I must add that I am intrigued by this speaker and the potential for roll your own FRFR. It will be interesting to see how people go with their experiments with this driver and no doubt it will feature in some commercial cabs.

• The goal of a FRFR cabinet (indeed, most cabinets) is to compliment the drivers you're putting into it, given your intended use. I have a Bogner cube that sounds great with a WGS Veteran 30 but terrible with a WGS ET90. Some speaker resonances/designs work and some don't.

Take Xitone, for example. Their original designs were ported, but after experimentation and at the advice of Eminence, they removed the ports and tightened up the frequency response by adding additional dampering inside the enclosure.

Celestion has said they will provide cabinet design guidance once the driver is available. Eminence does the same thing... shoot them an email about one of their drivers and they will give you a bunch of specs regarding how that driver will perform in a variety of cabinet designs.

• I've just ordered one (£100 in the UK) and it's on the way. I have a couple of great 1 x 12 cabs to put it in (both from Tube Town - one open\closed back and the other close back designed (apparently!) for modelling. Highly curious to see how this performs.

If you're in the UK, I've bought it from here.

https://www.lean-business.co.u…uitar-speaker-p-3143.html

Wow. I looked there yesterday and they were showing as sold out. They must have got more in then.

Definitely let us know how you get on when it arrives!!!

• Celestion are now shipping these. Lean Business has them in stock at 99UKP.

I spoke to Celestion about these today and they have been designed to be a direct replacement for the other Celestion guitar speakers and used in a typical guitar speaker cab, 2x12, 4x12 etc

They say they can also be used in a ported (bass reflex) enclosure to extend the bass response. Probably down another 5Hz or so.

I have asked Celestion if they can supply cabinet / port dimensions and will post when I get the info.

I like that they are not completely HiFi flat so should sound more real than a lot of the FRFR speakers I've heard.

Very interesting product.

Regards

Jon