Celestion F12-X200 (Full Range, Live Response Driver) Released

• Thanks AZRipp . Yes, i understand the importance in hifi and FRFR as most are closed designs with a tuned reflex port.

In an open back cab I would have thought they would be significantly less important and in a closed back (non ported cab) i imagine somewhere between the two extremes. Probably shows my total lack of knowledge in this area :)

I was thinking about this earlier today and the example of something common like a V30 sprang to mind. There are countless different cabinets on the market with different sizes and designs all loaded with V30s. They all sound different but they all work. None of them are anywhere close to flat responce though. Celestion don’t publish the T/S data for the V30, G12, Classic Lead etc so they seem to be treating the F12-X200 like their regular guitar speakers at the moment. It will be interesting to see how things pan out when people start using them in the wild.

• I have a couple of these on preorder from Sweetwater. Whenever they are finally delivered, I'm planning on building a couple small 1x12 cabs for them based on the reference designs published by Celestion. I'll run them from a 1u Matrix GT1000FX (I wish I had a 2u, but oh well), connected of course to my unpowered Kemper. I'm curious if there are others out here planning on doing the same, or similar?

• I have a couple of these on preorder from Sweetwater. Whenever they are finally delivered, I'm planning on building a couple small 1x12 cabs for them based on the reference designs published by Celestion. I'll run them from a 1u Matrix GT1000FX (I wish I had a 2u, but oh well), connected of course to my unpowered Kemper. I'm curious if there are others out here planning on doing the same, or similar?

I'm waiting for the Kemper speaker. First I'll put one in my XiTone MBritt powered FRFR. If that is as good as I hope it will be, then I'll get two more and put them in my Avatar 2x12 with a SD Powerstage amp.

• I was going to grab a few of these; but since the Kemper Cone was announced, I decided to wait for those instead. Once I know the air volume requirements: my plan is to modify my old Peavey 5150 4x12 into a 2x12 by sealing the upper half. The lower half will store my Kemper, foot controller, misc. during traveling.

• I'm waiting for the Kemper speaker. First I'll put one in my XiTone MBritt powered FRFR. If that is as good as I hope it will be, then I'll get two more and put them in my Avatar 2x12 with a SD Powerstage amp.

Be careful with that. If you have the XiTone MBritt that utilizes the Dayton PPA800DSP plate amplifier, it utilizes a 2-way power amp (Low Pass/High Pass). The Celestion F12-X200 has a built in passive crossover that I believe cannot be modified. I suppose you could run one half of the power amp in full range, but you will lose allot of what the XiTone MBritt can provide (and power output). Just figured I would pass that on before you drop the $$ getting something for the XiTone that may not pan out how you hoped. Hopefully we can get Thiele Small parameters on the F12-X200 so that an appropriate cabinet can be designed.

• Be careful with that. If you have the XiTone MBritt that utilizes the Dayton PPA800DSP plate amplifier, it utilizes a 2-way power amp (Low Pass/High Pass). The Celestion F12-X200 has a built in passive crossover that I believe cannot be modified. I suppose you could run one half of the power amp in full range, but you will lose allot of what the XiTone MBritt can provide (and power output). Just figured I would pass that on before you drop the $$ getting something for the XiTone that may not pan out how you hoped. Hopefully we can get Thiele Small parameters on the F12-X200 so that an appropriate cabinet can be designed.

Great point, and thanks for the heads up!

• Actually, Mick Farlow (Xitone) said he'll be bypassing the crossover on the F12-X200 in favor of the crossover in the Dayton PPA800DSP. With the Dayton you have 12 parametric EQ filters (6 on each side of the crossover) that help you really dial in a real nice and smooth curve for most decent driver pairs.

As AZRipp mentioned, it also means the Xitones are dialed in for that driver and will not sound right at all with another driver unless you get in there and play with the amp DSP.

• Actually, Mick Farlow (Xitone) said he'll be bypassing the crossover on the F12-X200 in favor of the crossover in the Dayton PPA800DSP. With the Dayton you have 12 parametric EQ filters (6 on each side of the crossover) that help you really dial in a real nice and smooth curve for most decent driver pairs.

As AZRipp mentioned, it also means the Xitones are dialed in for that driver and will not sound right at all with another driver unless you get in there and play with the amp DSP.

It'll be interesting to know how this will be accomplished. I haven't physically seen the F12-200, but from the images it looks as though the crossover hard built into the driver with only 2 poles accessible for connections. Perhaps the cap that covers the HF driver and x-over is removable with access to modify the wiring.

• i have one here i don't think the cover is removable without damaging the Speaker

think this speaker should work without an external crossover from an amp

it should uses his own x over and a simple class d amp

• I was just passing on that Mick from Xitone mentioned he was NOT planning on using the built-in crossover. Perhaps an open-cover OEM version will be available to to OEMs, who knows...

• Hi, it's just an experiment. Just ordered a pair of these speakers from Thomann to use them in a generously sized 2x12 closed cab. They should need 56 liters each woofer in a closed box. I found a couple of cabs (Zilla or Marsh) around 128/140 liters, shipping times permitting, as soon as I have all the material on hand I will get to work (about 10 days and it should be all working). Then we will perform different measurements of the speakers parameters via Clio card (http://www.audiomatica.com/wp/?page_id=51), both in free air and in a closed box. I hope they can also be used with a bass guitar.

• Zilla cabs made me a 112 with one of these in it. Haven’t tried with a kemper (have one arriving Saturday) but sounds great using amps through a load box and two notes cab. Effectively revamping I guess but best at home tone I’ve had with a speaker. Sounds great. Have owned and sold clr, asm12, matrix q12.

• Zilla cabs made me a 112 with one of these in it. Haven’t tried with a kemper (have one arriving Saturday) but sounds great using amps through a load box and two notes cab. Effectively revamping I guess but best at home tone I’ve had with a speaker. Sounds great. Have owned and sold clr, asm12, matrix q12.

Tell us more when it gets there!