Kemper Tips and Tricks - Definition Control

• Hi dudes,

I've together a video series called Kemper Tips & Tricks. My goal is to cover a lot of the questions I see people asking about different parameters in the Kemper and showcase some of the Kemper functions. Here is the first part on the Definition Control. Hope this helps some of the newer guys understand how to make the Kemper sound best for their guitars!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• HW is really a master at this, love it when he does these and always hope that he does more.
    Thanks so much HW!

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• Good tone is whatever gets you to where you want to be, and any control that gets you there is fair game, but I'm sorry to disagree on the function of the Definition control. I don't believe it is a guitar compensation tool. I use it as a final fine tuning for the amp center frequency, and rarely have to push it very far to find the sweet spot. And sometimes in A/B ear checks the original setting from the profiler sounds better than what my alteration sounds like. You have to be honest with yourself, as what you think sounds better in the moment needs to be checked with a verity of tests. I look for clarity of all notes and chords played, and go through many complex chords and lead ranges on the fretboard with all my guitars looking for total balance, but the main tone controls are the first place to start. Definition is the final tweak.

Maybe my goal is different, as I want amp tone that works with any guitar that I plug into it. If going from a Les Paul to a Tele hurts my ears, than I screwed up by pushing the tones too far in one direction. And yes, I want "amp in a room" sound, as I do know what an amp sounds like in a room, and also know the perfect listening position from the cabinet. That is one of the strengths of the Kemper...consistency no matter where you stand. No doubt mics alter that finished product, but you can actually use that to get a "better amp in a room" finished product. That is why choosing the right cabinet matters so much. I look for balance there too, and rule out anything that stands out too much. In the end I can sound very "live" and plug any guitar in with total satisfaction. Mission accomplished!

No one method is better than any other, as tone is subjective anyway. As long as you are happy with the final product, you win. I just treat the KPA like my real amps, and want both to sound the same and respond to all my guitars the same way. The good news is I can get an even better final product out of the Kemper because of all the fine tuning controls. Those go beyond what you can do with a real amp and cabinet.

• Good tone is whatever gets you to where you want to be, and any control that gets you there is fair game, but I'm sorry to disagree on the function of the Definition control. I don't believe it is a guitar compensation tool. I use it as a final fine tuning for the amp center frequency, and rarely have to push it very far to find the sweet spot. And sometimes in A/B ear checks the original setting from the profiler sounds better than what my alteration sounds like. You have to be honest with yourself, as what you think sounds better in the moment needs to be checked with a verity of tests. I look for clarity of all notes and chords played, and go through many complex chords and lead ranges on the fretboard with all my guitars looking for total balance, but the main tone controls are the first place to start. Definition is the final tweak.

Maybe my goal is different, as I want amp tone that works with any guitar that I plug into it. If going from a Les Paul to a Tele hurts my ears, than I screwed up by pushing the tones too far in one direction. And yes, I want "amp in a room" sound, as I do know what an amp sounds like in a room, and also know the perfect listening position from the cabinet. That is one of the strengths of the Kemper...consistency no matter where you stand. No doubt mics alter that finished product, but you can actually use that to get a "better amp in a room" finished product. That is why choosing the right cabinet matters so much. I look for balance there too, and rule out anything that stands out too much. In the end I can sound very "live" and plug any guitar in with total satisfaction. Mission accomplished!

No one method is better than any other, as tone is subjective anyway. As long as you are happy with the final product, you win. I just treat the KPA like my real amps, and want both to sound the same and respond to all my guitars the same way. The good news is I can get an even better final product out of the Kemper because of all the fine tuning controls. Those go beyond what you can do with a real amp and cabinet.

Interesting take, using the tone controls first, then definition. Lately, I've been doing the opposite. Of my 4 guitars, 3 of them love the same exact settings, but the 4th one likes the definition a bit higher, then some minor EQ tweaks. I don't think there's a right or wrong, but your process is definitely solid. In the end, it's all subjective, right.

• I guess I try to give the original amp profile a chance with what the profiler captured. Most have Definition at <0.0>. But maybe I'll try your idea and see where it lands. That should be an interesting experiment...Definition first, tones next. Will all the settings be the same in the end? :huh:

This weekend will be another marathon KPA weekend. :thumbup:

Phil 8)

• I guess I try to give the original amp profile a chance with what the profiler captured. Most have Definition at <0.0>.

8|
    Are you sure you are talking about the definition control? 0.0 is NOT a typical value that the profiling process sets. Please have a look again.

• 8| Are you sure you are talking about the definition control? 0.0 is NOT a typical value that the profiling process sets. Please have a look again.

You are correct! I must have been think of the CAB Character control, but what I was trying to say is I don't normally alter the Definition much, if any (as you can see). Instead I try and pick the best profile and cab to go with it. Then balance the tone controls.

EXAMPLE:

I just downloaded the Josh Middleton (excellent composer, player and recording engineer!) JTM Heavy Bundle 1 (and picked out a Peavey Tripple X profile (Tripplr Y CR 5) this morning as one that struck my fancy out of the bunch. Not quite ready for prime time yet, so I dialed in one of my favorite cab profiles ("Normals" Eminence Governor cab) and went to work on the tones. Very minor adjustments with BASS -0.1, MIDDLE -0.2, TREBLE +0.6 and Presence -0.1. Best GAIN saturation sounded like 6.8 without a COMP BOOST. With it I get clean max crunch at a COMP Volume of +1.2. Killer balanced and focused tone.and crunch! Works with several other cab profiles just as well, so the balance is just right on the amp EQ section.

Just for the sake of it I "goosed" the DEFINITION from 9.1 (as it came) to 9.9. It gave the crunch a bit more edge without disrupting the overall balance. Then I did A/B tests on both saved patches. I like both, but that little extra "bite" on the top edge is pretty sharp. And BTW, 10.0 was too much of a shift. Lost mid clarity. Useful for the "final touch"...if it needs it. In my case it really didn't, but it sounds good. Probably goes "beyond" what the real amp could do.

Phil 8)