Fractal Axe Fx 3

• There are still 1-2 generations left who "fullfill" all their GAS they could not when they were 17 or even 25..take a look around you and tell me how many young lads have the same fanatism for learning a instrument like guitar or drums like they spend their time for "doing" hiphop,Dj orwhatever other "sport" a young guy right now can do for "expressing himself" without to sit down and spending many hours of practicing guitar every day.

Well, I guess I have different impressions.
    I see a surprising number of young musicians with a high level of education and greater skill in my immediate surroundings.
    In the nearby city there is a university for classical music and jazz as well as seminars for rock and pop music and it is difficult to get a study place.
    About thirty years ago it was easy for me to enrol 2 semester as an extraordinary student for theory subjects. Now it would be impossible.

So for me, the musical level of the armateur (and professional) musicians surrounding me has risen enormously in the last decades.
    I was described as a good armature guitarist in my younger years, I don't get along with this guy's anymore.

Of course, there are also the pure consumers (the possibilities for this are now enormous) but that was not different in our time.

• I seriously doubt they'll put out something that is just an Axe FXII in a different package.

Heck, even if the FX are better, that is a significant achievement, and more power to them.

The delay, reverb and pitch shifting blocks have seen significant updates to take advantage of the increased processing power.

• Think of it this way... Some of these devices make us sound better than we are! And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that!

Heck, going along your train of thinking, some of the established bands or even other acts nowadays are just studio magicians. Look at some of those DJs, they have trays full of equipment in front of them when they go on stage to perform, but all they secretly use is the CD player while they fake it.

And as far as the genres of music you're talking about, there is hardly anything new or original out there anymore. Even those kids who I was talking about who would play circles around me when it comes to solos... It's undeniable some of them are talented. But Vai or Satch-level talented? By that I mean writing a song with soul rather than trying to cover it all up with technique.

Heck, even Vai and Satch sound dated now, but that's just how music comes and goes, in waves.

Keep searching for the next wave, my man. Perhaps you will be on the crest of it, perhaps you'll be in the water, see it coming and catch a nice ride.

At any rate, don't stop believing in the music, alright? :thumbup:

PS: Look at the disaster that was the Grammys. You think people don't know what they're listening to? Someday, maybe soon, you' ll see the roundhouse kick coming.

• I was described as a good armature guitarist in my younger years, I don't get along with this guy's anymore.

i understand how you feel about this and it is true but it is something more than just sound perfect in a style, you should be proud of the whole knowledge you have, what you said is very realistic

many musicians are famous for their improvisation skills and others by performing other's ones compositions, art is subjective and we can see famous artists stating that you have to play and invest in your own style, not paying to much attention in what other guitarists could do and you don't and just focusing on your playing

i don't think even Charlie Parker sounded cool for the croud compared to other more harmonic produced compositions like Coltrane's ones. Many young guitarists can surprise us with awesome performances on sophisticated jazz tunes or unbelievable tricks, but others can perform like artists and carry on their personal technique and style...

it is cool how by playing guitar and watching other amazing people playing everyday on youtube we can be stimulated to study more too

i am also always taking a look in new things to study and yet keep on developing my own personal studies and techniques, scales, progresions...

• Looks interesting. I assume that's the new flagship model for the next 6 months? ;)

Can't beat the Kemper product roadmap that ensures we don't lose most of our investment after 1 year.

• Looks interesting. I assume that's the new flagship model for the next 6 months? ;)

Can't beat the Kemper product roadmap that ensures we don't lose most of our investment after 1 year.

I don’t see anyone over on the Fractal forum complaining. When we all bought rack gear in the 80’s, none of it came with updates. Later I remember ‘investing’ in things like the Eventide Eclipse, which still had the old card reader on the front, and still has it to this day. For that kind of cash, can’t ditch it for something better? Or TC electronics when they stop updates or the product all together and leave you hanging. When you buy a new computer, it’s almost dated before you leave the store. Every year a new processor or motherboard or other hardware or OS. Cell phones? Etc.. etc..

I think it is safe to assume that everyone who buys anything electronic can expect updates of any kind at any time. To bemoan change is silly. You may look at these things as some kind of investment, others we look at them as simply tools. I have the choice to stick with it or if there is an improvement I buy it if needed, if I can sell my old tool, cool. I don’t cry about the missing pesos.

I’m sure Kemper must be working on their new product. When a Kemper two ever comes out, will there be much difference? I think we should all note behavior here and compare when it happens, bias is always an amusing thing to watch. ;)

• Nemo13,

You got to admit, up until a year or two many Fractal updates changed the tone.
    That was incredibly frustrating to many owners who spent hours making presets.
    Also very frustrating to get a new unit and not have backwards compatibility.

They are valid complaints. But as you point out, a lot of owners roll with them or don't care about those issues.
    Still doesn't negate the validity of these annoyances.

I think the Fractal units are fantastic. There is fantastic parity between them, which diverge into their relative strengths, tone-wise and effects-wise.
    I am really stuck to Kemper beyond the tone for many reasons that stem around building community, making technology usage less complex and more plug-n-play, and giving me more twiddly knobs, haha. Would be AWESOME if I could plug the KPA in and route guitar tones through it's effects! But I have some stellar Compressor/Delay/Reverb plugins. Just don't have the coloring ones (Flanger, Chorus, etc) but I can buy them for much less than the hardware as said above.

• My original comment was just an amusing jab because with the new Ax Fx, since the beginning, has an editor. It also it looks really flexible if you have a need. I realize the bias here and it is amusing because you expect it, some rational some irrational. It’s the same the opposite. I never think of gear like a football game but many seem to. Kemper team! Fractal team! Helix team! :)

All these things can change at a moments notice. The only ‘investment’ you can have is in real things like boutique amps, etc... Those last for decades. I have a bunch of pedals I use for other things, they are collectively around 2k, and there are new pedals every year! Now pedals have updates and editors, how maddening! I got a little $$ put away just in case a Kemper 2 comes out, Haha...

• I'm happy with my Kemper. A KPA II would entice me when mine dies perhaps.

As to Team A vs B and all, it really helps to just spend some time working these units.
    There is a lot more parity than people may know now. But Kemper just does many things "right" for my tastes as a company and for the tech.
    Can it be better? Sure, but not for amp realism. That's done, final, no need to "improve". But for better effects, more effects, editor, recording or I/O routing to a DAW via USB, etc, those would be fine editions. As would a floor unit for many (I can do without one)

But I can see someone using a Kemper 20 years from now and not thinking it has a problem sound-wise. Who needs new units to make great sounds? I don't. Mostly bragging rights at this point! ;)

FAS has already said they will continue updating the Axe FX II. They're not phasing it out or discontinuing it. Further, a lot of newcomers are already getting great deals on used Axe FX II's, so It's a win/win for everyone involved.

• My buddy who has IDK the FXII XL+?

First thing he texted me was "Oh S%@T"

He can make an amazing sound with a GT-2 (if that exists) but I think you just drop $2.5k and then a new unit comes out within the same year and you feel like a heel for not waiting. Only natural.

I've felt this way with plugins. i.e. get the Fabfilter Q and 3 months later the Q2 comes out and I can get it for only $89. It grates on the nerves.

• Some developers discontinue or abandon older hardware when an upgrade is released, whereas the Axe FX II and AX8 will still be updated with algorithms that are shared with the Axe FX III, though undoubtedly the developers will have to make some compromises.