Song per Month of 2018 personal challenge

• Hi everyone,

I've gone through a long period without creating much music-wise. A couple of job changes and a bunch of other stuff going on has really crushed the creative side of me.

Things are looking up and, because I work better to a deadline, I thought I'd challenge myself to release a song per month throughout 2018. So far so good - this one is done and I've another couple half-written so I'm hoping the creative dry spell is on its way out. I hope no-one minds if I post them here :)

Before deciding to listen, please realise that my playing ability is not brilliant. I love my hobby and (when my brain is not fried due to life getting in the way) my hobby is writing songs and making music. There are some crazy-good guitarists on this forum and 99% of you can outplay me. For this reason, please don't expect guitar pyrotechnics as my fingers don't always do as they're told. Whilst my musical ability is far from the best, I like to think I can write a reasonable song so really what you should expect is songs that have been put together with a bit of thought to the limits of my current ability. Snapshots on a journey to getting better.

So with that in mind, here's number one of the twelve:-

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It's a collaboration with my 16 year old daughter, Isabella. She came up with the chord sequence here and then we wrote it together - she's on vocal duties throughout on this one.

It's a pretty typical love song where everything is perfect. But then reality hits :) I hope someone out there likes it.

All guitars were through the Kemper using the Dr. Z pack one and a free bass profile from Andy (amp factory). Keys and Drums were of the EZ variety from Toontrack. Delay and phasing on the synths from Soundtoys. Reverb from Slate. I lazily mixed it using Neutron 2 - for experimental purposes, I just let it do everything automatically so the only thing I adjusted after that were levels and pan.... Not ideal but great for an keen amateur who is too lazy to work out what everything does in a plugin!!

Thanks

Gary

• I hear ya Gary, we have our ups and downs creatively as life's rollercoaster twists and turns. The song has a nice progression and melody. Good for you setting a deadline, I like this idea of a song a month.

Funny, my oldest daughter, 17, is named Isabella too :) She's too shy to sing but pretty good as well.

Keep 'em coming, she has a nice voice, well done!

Cheers,
    Shawn

• A 93 years old jazz/swing guitarist who recently passed away always said: "It doesn't matter which notes you play, it's all about how you play them." And I'm sure you had a great time making music with your daughter. Keep it up and never feel lesser just because you don't show acrobatic fretboard skills. :)

• Thank you all so much for listening and for the nice comments - I really appreciate it and so will Bella :)

It's great fun doing this kind of thing together - I'm really lucky that they all enjoy music too and indulge me my habit of making noise :) Quite often we have a sing around the table as both daughters and I sing. The youngest is learning a few chords with me and they both play a bit of piano but their primary instrument is their voices. I bought my wife a cajon for Christmas along with shakers and a tambourine as, whilst she loves music, she can't sing. It's cool to keep an open mind about different music that I wouldn't come across but the little ones introduced me to - two of the favourites we've done over the last few months have been a Justin Beber song and 'Wrecking Ball'. Being an old fart, I'd never heard the originals so just got presented with chord sheets and did my best. Fun.

I also stole the cajon that I bought for my wife already. I recorded a cover at the start of the month of a song called Wolf by First Aid Kit. It's one we often play together and involves all three of us on vocals so I thought I'd record it. It's here if you fancy it.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

And here's another cover.

But before these, I'd only recorded one original song in three years and that's what I need to change. Thanks again for the encouragement and I'll do my best to keep to one new song per month, most originals :)

• Interesting choice of song picked there :)