What do you think about buying a "used" KPA?

• Hey All,

I'm currently saving up a little cash for a KPA. What do you think about buying on the "used" market? I've seen some pretty good deals, but with a purchase of this size (around $2K for a Toaster and Remote) i'm a little hesitant, thinking that i may get a dud/unreliable unit and then be stuck.

• Did any of you buy used?
    • What should i look out for?
    • Does Kemper stand behind used units under warranty?
    • Should i just wait and buy new?
    • Do any of you have any "horror stories" with used KPAs?

Thanks for your insights!
    -Meomy

• I got a powered rack with remote for $1449 on Guitar Center’s used site.......not a scratch on either. Great deals on there, but you have to be checking quite often to find one.

The remote wasn’t even advertised with the unit....I found out it was included when I called the store. I paid for them over the phone instantly! It was a store in northern Florida & I’m in South Florida. Only $25 to ship & I got them the next day!

45 day return period......but it ain’t gong back!

• I bought a new Kemper and then traded it away. The unit I own now was bought second-hand. No problems, touch wood.

As with any used item, examine it for signs of abuse if possible. Make sure that all the knobs and LEDs and buttons work.

In that regard, try and search locally rather than internationally. That way you can try before you buy.

• I just bought a pre owned PowerHead in mint condition and works flawlessly...also came with the
    factory carrying bag. Saved some nice money too. I hardly ever buy music gear new if I can help it. Many deals to be had out there. Jut ask questions and most sellers on the forums and websites like reverb,eBay have feedback history you can look at to evaluate the seller and have some recourse in case there was an issue.

• What do you think about buying on the "used" market?

They are cheaper but not better. They are cheaper but not better. But even not worser. ;)

Ironic mode closed:
    If technical everythings is OK then is nothing against to buy a used one.
    The KPA keep its value longer than many other devices.

• As stated its the LEDs and physical stuff that ate the only things I would concern myself with. The rest is stuff that doesn't 'wear' if you know what I mean :)

I swapped my Rack for a Toaster version and had no issues. I'd buy a used one in future subject to the stuff above

Si

• I also bought my Toaster and my Rack incl. the Remote used. The Toaster has a Camper Power amp built in. No problems! And if you buy with PayPal or alike it shouldn't be a problem if the unit is not as added!

stay tuned... :thumbup:

• bought used off ebay. was a floor model at a music store.

You would have never known because it doesn't have a single scratch and had the original stickers,manuals, box and tags still on it.

• Bought mine second hand and perfect, no issues.

As stated this is not really like a valve amp so less to wear and tear. Its only really physical connections but unlikely you'll get issues.

• I've been reading the replies and have found them to be SUPER helpful! The community on this forum seems to be top notch. Right now i'm sold on purchasing a used KPA head and have been surfing a couple sites to find a great deal, or estimate what an average price for a used KPA is. What would you consider to be a fair price for a used un-powered KPA? Also, i've got a Morningstar MC6 Midi controller that i dig, but do you think it's worth selling it to fund the Kemper footswitch?

Thanks again for all of your help!

• Also, i've got a Morningstar MC6 Midi controller that i dig, but do you think it's worth selling it to fund the Kemper footswitch?

If you already have this controller, it is not necessary to buy the Kemper remote.
    The remote from Kemper is simply more convenient because there is nothing to configure and it has more buttons that already fit the Kemper.
    However, it should be borne in mind that the remote is hardly available on the used market alone. Even new sometimes it is not available.
    If you want it, it is better to buy it used with the Kemper.
    Good luck!

• Used prices will vary but I would expect £900 to £1000 for unpowered?

Persoanlly I would go powered if you can afford it, especially if you want to use it live as you can drive anything without having to get an additional power amp.

I also would recommend the remote if you are playing live. I don't know the MC6 but a general midi controller will be good enough but not have all the features, require multiple cables etc. so again if you can afford it, get one but its not essential immediately. As mentioned you might struggle to find a second hand one..