Change Rigs in Looper Mode

• Hi,
    I am using the looper more now...
    Yet, I cold not find a way to switch rigs without leaving the looper mode. Is there any?
    Lets say I record the first loop clean, and want to add some lines with a different rig...
    As far as I understand it, I have to:
    0) Select clean rig
    1) switch to looper mode,
    2) Start recording and put down my first clean progression
    3) Finish loop/stop recording (loop plays back)
    4) Leave looper mode
    5) change rig
    6) come back to looper mode
    7) Hit record and overdub (or hold "record" after recording to overdub directly (GREAT feature by the way!!!))
    Is there a way to bypass 4-6?
    As alternative, I was thinking about using the effect buttons... But this also lead to "step dancing" and I coulndt find a good way, yet...

All the best

EDIT: The (for me) best solution would be to be able to assaign Rogs for the effect buttons... I might also be able to work with the following solution:
    1) Basic rig has no effects
    2) Button I disables all adds effects (eg. transpone, for bass line
    3) Button II disables all effects and activates eg. compressor/stuff
    4) Button III disables all effects and activates eg. distortion pedal, ...
    I just think, the needed "disable all effects" does not work... correct?

Edited 3 times, last by CPHfx ().

• The five Rig Buttons in the lower row can either load Rigs within the current Performance OR control the Looper. The Looper Button switches between these two modes. That is a natural limitation having a foot controller with a small foot print. We are not planning to introduce modes, where Effect Buttons become Rig Buttons and vice versa, because it would introduce functional conflicts and user confusion. The Effect Buttons are the Effect Buttons.

Either you organize your sound changes in a way, that you are switching effects on/off using the Effect Buttons. Or you use a Morph Pedal to travel between two sounds.

Or - as you just seem to require Looper Start and Stop buttons - you could reassign the Looper Button as Looper Start and the Tuner Button as Looper Stop. This way the Rig Buttons are always available to switch Rigs. And Tuner could still be activated via a Volume Pedal in heel position. Or you could even bring the TAP button into the game and use that as Looper Stop or Tuner button.

Or you connect another external dual momentary switch like the Profiler Switch 2-way and assign Looper Start and Stop to that one.

• Or - as you just seem to require Looper Start and Stop buttons - you could reassign the Looper Button as Looper Start and the Tuner Button as Looper Stop. This way the Rig Buttons are always available to switch Rigs. And Tuner could still be activated via a Volume Pedal in heel position. Or you could even bring the TAP button into the game and use that as Looper Stop or Tuner button.

Or you connect another external dual momentary switch like the Profiler Switch 2-way and assign Looper Start and Stop to that one.

wohooo!
    Yes, will try this!
    Thanks!
    Will also the extended functions (press and hold) work on the TAP button?
    EDIT: YES, it does! Thanks agasin, will try to set everything up..

Edited once, last by CPHfx ().

• Hi Everyone,
    I am interested in what Burkhard said in his very helpful response. I have a question.
    If one assigns the looper button to be looper start, the tuner button to be loop stop and tap button to be loop trigger, is this a global setting change that affects all rigs, or is it possible on a rig by rig basis? If it is rig by rig it will be sooo helpful.
    Cheers
    Pre-Amp

• Hi Everyone,
    I am interested in what Burkhard said in his very helpful response. I have a question.
    If one assigns the looper button to be looper start, the tuner button to be loop stop and tap button to be loop trigger, is this a global setting change that affects all rigs, or is it possible on a rig by rig basis? If it is rig by rig it will be sooo helpful.
    Cheers
    Pre-Amp

It is a global setting, not rig by rig.

• Thanks.
    Of course, I should have twigged system menu settings are global.
    I should make a feature request for these settings on a rig by rig basis.
    Still, assigning the switches as suggested above, is a good compromise.
    Cheers
    Pre-Amp

• We want to stick to the basic rule, not to "infect" Rigs with user preferences and adaptations to specific environments. Rigs should be compatible to any user environment, so that these can be shared easily.... although a Rig that causes the Tuner button to trigger a Looper might be a nice surprise.

• Hi Burkhard,
    I entirely see your point. Surprising as it might be, I can just imagine the posting on the forum if the looper suddenly engaged when the tuner button was pressed! Consistency is a key element of the Kemper so keeping basics as they are makes sense.
    I had a go at re-assigning the looper and tuner buttons to start and stop loops. This worked well but there's always that chance I'll hit another button on the effects row by accident. So I might invest in a dual foot switch to assign these to.
    It would be really helpful to be able to assign the looper trigger control to another foot switch (either within the remote (tap button) or on a separate switch) as this is a really useful feature when looping a repeating phrase within a song part. I don't think I missed it in the menu.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Kind regards
    Pre-Amp

• Thanks for all the comments on this thread!
    Basically, I am very fine with putting the start on "tap" - I just have one remark:
    The corresponing LED shows ... I dont know... It just blonks or doesnt. No idea why and when.
    @Burkhard, can you comment in that? Is this a bug/missing implementation or am I missing / do not understand something?

Not that it is NEEDED - I am just asking, if there is something behind that LED, which I should understand.. (In general when looping, you always should know if you are in overdub or not - so there is no need for a corresponding LED... But as it blinks - Id like to know what it is trying to tell me)

• So far the LEDs stick to the original function of these buttons. For example the Tap LED always follows Tap Tempo regardless what other function you assign to the Tap Button. Within the real Looper Mode the Play Button uses two LEDs anyhow to indicate the various scenarios possible.