Recording methods?

• I was wondering what method folks use when recording the Kemper. For instance, I set my input track in my DAW to mono and just use one of the Kemper Main Outs to that input. I saw a video on the web showing a guy that uses both Main Outs from the Kemper and directs them both to one input track set to stereo.

What are your preferences and why?

• I use SPDIF into my audio interface, which provides a stereo input into a stereo track in my DAW.

If instead of a single guitar track with both channels panned at 12 o'clock, I have say 2 different guitar tracks and want them panned at different positions left and right - as they're both stereo tracks, I pan one track (both channels) to the same position left (say 36) and pan the other track (both channels) to the same position right (say 36 again).

My question is: is this different to recording the 2 separate guitar tracks via SPDIF stereo into my audio interface, but into mono instead of stereo tracks and then just panning the mono tracks left (36) and right (36)?

I don't believe the Kemper has an SPDIF setting which is actually full mono into the audio interface, which is why I usually start with stereo into the audio interface.

Any advice (assuming the above makes sense)?

• My question is: is this different to recording the 2 separate guitar tracks via SPDIF stereo into my audio interface, but into mono instead of stereo tracks and then just panning the mono tracks left (36) and right (36)?

Afaik, unless you have stereo fx like delay turned on, there's no point in recording stereo. No idea how the space parameter plays into this.

• That's not what he was talking about. He was asking if two stereo track takes from the Kemper sounds any different from two mono tracks, both panned the same way.

Thanks nakedzen and paults for replying. Nakedzen is correct, I'm not talking about double tracking guitars. I was trying to keep the scenario as simple as possible, by avoiding mentioning recording the 2 separate guitar parts twice and therefore having 4 stereo tracks - 2 panned left and 2 panned right.

My query is what is the difference between:

SPDIF Stereo - audio interface - stereo DAW track - both channels panned to (say) 36

and

SPDIF Stereo - audio interface - mono DAW track - single mono channel panned to (say) 36

Nakedzen has suggested that there is no need to record a stereo track unless using a stereo effect (e.g. delay), so assuming no stereo effects are involved, are there any differences between the two approaches? Does it matter?

Cheers.