IEM Setup Help

• I have a Sennheiser EW300 G3 and am looking for advice on the best way to set this up for live use with my Kemper. The band currently uses an X32 so I could simply just have a stereo mix from our board but have been reading how some people route this so that they can have a "more me" type of mix right from the front of the Kemper (and unlinking the Master volume).

Is it possible to have a stereo Kemper mix and then a mono master mix from the X32? Is it worth giving up a full stereo mix just to have the "more me" functionality of the Kemper?

To do this, do you have to route the main mix into the aux in on the Kemper? I could simply just use the Sennheiser though right? (one input for the Kemper, and one for the monitor mix). I guess I'm confused as to the benefit of routing your mix into the Kemper if you already have something like the Sennheiser box.

Also, do you guys typically use the headphone out of the kemper to feed your IEM mix or do you use one of the other outputs? Is there an advantage to one or the other?

I'm trying to wrap my head around the different options here and what is the best for my case. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• Can't you send the band mix in through the fx return and alternate input? That would be stereo and then mix it with the Kemper signal directly from the outputs. I wouldn't give up a stereo mix of the rest of the band because it is difficult to hear clearly in mono if there are a few instruments.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Not sure about your Senn, but my Shure runs in stereo. I run monitor out on KPA to the Shure left channel and a mix minus my guitar from "the guy" into the right channel. It's basically the same as when I don't use IEMs since I have a mono FRFR monitor next to the pedal board.

Learn to Swim

• Not sure about your Senn, but my Shure runs in stereo. I run monitor out on KPA to the Shure left channel and a mix minus my guitar from "the guy" into the right channel. It's basically the same as when I don't use IEMs since I have a mono FRFR monitor next to the pedal board.

This only puts your guitar in one ear though right? Maybe I'm not understanding correctly but what is the advantage of doing it this way as opposed to the other method mentioned above?

• Just a different preference. Small venue band, we’ve never had stereo monitors on stage so for me, it’s the same with or without IEMs. Mono Guitar monitor on the left, mono band on the right.

Learn to Swim

• This only puts your guitar in one ear though right? Maybe I'm not understanding correctly but what is the advantage of doing it this way as opposed to the other method mentioned above?

Most in ears transmitters can be put into mono mode and then the 2 signals appear in the centre. Check the manual for the EW300.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I wouldn't go the mono route, all the sound gets squashed into the middle of your head. Even with mono floor monitors, you still have a lot sense of direction, but with mono headphones or in-ears... On top of that, if you would have a keyboard player who puts out a lot of stereo info (and piano sounds tend to do that...), mixing this down to mono will give you all kinds of nasty phase-problems, which causes that Nord Stage to sound like a Casio kids piano...

You can go into FX return and alternate input, you can mix that stereo signal under the aux settings into the monitor, headphones or master mix, at will... But, in my experience, when you have your mix properly set, you won't be adjusting a whole lot... Also, you can use your iPhone or android phone to adjust your monitor mix on the X32... I would ust put yur transmitter into the X32's rack and save a few cables to connect ;)

• I use a stereo monitor mix straight from the X32 and have more me (quite a lot more actually) on the monitor mix app for the iPad. Our IEMs are wired but I don’t think that affects the general principle. The app has a pan function as well as balance so you can put you exactly where you want.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• Simply create an independant mix for every IEM user in the band. The X32 has 16 Mix buses. If you want a stereo IEM mix, simply pair two mix buses and route these buses to two outputs. You could either the aux outputs, the XLR outputs or even outputs on some expansion like the SD-8 or SD-16.

If you have a wireless router connected to your X32, you can use remote control apps on windows, android or IOS to setup your own mix to your liking. This is completely independant of the main mix on the X32. We use the same setup in our band, it´s fantantastic!!!

• I use a stereo monitor mix straight from the X32 and have more me (quite a lot more actually) on the monitor mix app for the iPad. Our IEMs are wired but I don’t think that affects the general principle. The app has a pan function as well as balance so you can put you exactly where you want.

Just be carefull as the X32-Mix iPad app does not pan the aux-busses, only the master, so you'll be messing with th FOH sound. M32-Q (the iPhone app) allows you to pan the selected aux-bus ;)

• By all means: Go the extra mile and purchase the Behringer Powerply PM-16, an ethernet cable and a two mono patch cables and ...BAM!
    You can connect it directly with the X32 by ethernet and you get 16 channels, each with EQ, pan, limiter etc. STEREO! Just link the patch cables with your l/R input jacks of the Sennheiser...
    This is how I do it with my XAir 18.
    Recently we had a show where an X32 was already there so I just hooked it up as described above.
    Just dial the band in when the FOH does the soundcheck and you´re done and you always can give you "more me" any time...

stay tuned... :thumbup:

• Just be carefull as the X32-Mix iPad app does not pan the aux-busses, only the master, so you'll be messing with th FOH sound. M32-Q (the iPhone app) allows you to pan the selected aux-bus ;)

That’s the one I use, the monitor specific one.

• I wouldn't go the mono route, all the sound gets squashed into the middle of your head. Even with mono floor monitors, you still have a lot sense of direction, but with mono headphones or in-ears... On top of that, if you would have a keyboard player who puts out a lot of stereo info (and piano sounds tend to do that...), mixing this down to mono will give you all kinds of nasty phase-problems, which causes that Nord Stage to sound like a Casio kids piano...

You can go into FX return and alternate input, you can mix that stereo signal under the aux settings into the monitor, headphones or master mix, at will... But, in my experience, when you have your mix properly set, you won't be adjusting a whole lot... Also, you can use your iPhone or android phone to adjust your monitor mix on the X32... I would ust put yur transmitter into the X32's rack and save a few cables to connect ;)

The only thing keeping me from racking my transmitter with the band's X32 is that I sometimes do a cover band gig as well and would like the ability to use my IEM's when playing in other projects like that. I also still like the idea of having the dedicated "more me" control on the front of the Kemper. Maybe I don't really need this?

Also, are you guys using the headphone out or the monitor out to feed your IEM mixes?

Decisions, decisions

• Headphone or monitor out + fx loop send, doesnt really matter. Offcourse youll be able to tidy your cabled with the monitor + fx loop out, but youll lose other outboard gear options, just as when youre using the alternate input as one side of a stereo aux input.

A way around this could be a 1HE submixer which mixes master out and monitor feed together for your iem.

• One more question - for you guys suggesting that I just use the X32 app for "more me" and keep my Sennheiser racked with the X32, do you feel that you're missing anything with your IEM mixes by not being able to use the "space" feature? Obviously you can't control the "space" because everything coming back to your ears is the same thing you're sending to FOH. The idea of racking my Sennheiser with everyone is super tempting though.

• One more question - for you guys suggesting that I just use the X32 app for "more me" and keep my Sennheiser racked with the X32, do you feel that you're missing anything with your IEM mixes by not being able to use the "space" feature? Obviously you can't control the "space" because everything coming back to your ears is the same thing you're sending to FOH. The idea of racking my Sennheiser with everyone is super tempting though.

I have the space parameter set to 4.9 on everything. Works like a charm on the FOH as well as the IEM, even on studio recordings. So i am not missing anything. Hooking up the IEM transmitter to the X32 is the way to go, you will love it.

• I have the space parameter set to 4.9 on everything. Works like a charm on the FOH as well as the IEM, even on studio recordings. So i am not missing anything. Hooking up the IEM transmitter to the X32 is the way to go, you will love it.

This,

• The place that I play a lot has a sound guy that is absolutely terrible this venue is running a Midas 32 channel board with no Wireless capability and my IEM’s are the Shure PSM 900 that have stereo XLR inputs, What would be the best way to run out of thier board into my Kemper?.. right now the way I’m running it is just taking the Aux send and running it right into my left input of my wireless transmitter and I’m having a hard time hearing the Reverb coming into my IEM ears so my guitar sounds very dry, but FOH it sounds great, so I’m assuming either I don’t have it hooked up incorrectly or there’s a routing issue. I’ve looked in the output section and it all seems correct.

By the way I’m running a ToneJunkie 65 Reverb deluxe profile.