Ànalog audio output fading away from time to time

• Hi,

I have a kemper for some years now.

Some months ago, basically after some firmware updates (I'm currently using 5.1.1.12825 which I don't want to further update since after every update, I faced newer issues...) I started to have some issues, one of which is that some times when I'm recording a guitar through my Scarlett using SPDIF L and R and an analog audio channel, the analog audio output starts randomly to reduce the volume and/or fades away completely.

What I used to do is just unplug/plug the Audio INPUT and that will take back the volume to it's original level, but lately is happening more and more.

The digital audio is for wet audio and the analog for dry audio, so I can later ReAmp in case I need it.

Any idea what I could do?

thanks!

• this happened to me a few times about 3-4 years ago...never really figured out what caused it but at the time I used my pod hd500 as a floorboard via midi. shortly after I got the kemper FB and it has never happened again...no idea if the hd500 was causing it but I kinda used it as an excuse for buying the kemper FB 8)

• I recommend to update to 5.4.1 Release first. Issues happen after updates by definition, but are rarely related to those, if you stick to release revisions.

The other thing is checking output volumes. Perhaps you are aware, that Master Volume could be at value "5.0" while the volume of the output you are recording from could be at "-85dB". So a small decrease of Master Volume could push a particular Output Volume off the cliff. In recent software we have added a display which makes the intentional behavior of Master Volume and the individual output volumes more obvious.

• Sounds similar to my problem...
    Sudden weird volume swell problem

No takers, so far...

I read your post, but I think is a bit different, since mine is happening very randomly (yesterday I could record 2 guitars 8 minutes each without any issue!) and it always goes reducing the volume until no sound is sent (except S/PDIF which works flawless)

this happened to me a few times about 3-4 years ago...never really figured out what caused it but at the time I used my pod hd500 as a floorboard via midi. shortly after I got the kemper FB and it has never happened again...no idea if the hd500 was causing it but I kinda used it as an excuse for buying the kemper FB 8)

The thing is that I only use it at my home studio... and I don't change profiles, it just happens with the current one.

I recommend to update to 5.4.1 Release first. Issues happen after updates by definition, but are rarely related to those, if you stick to release revisions.

The other thing is checking output volumes. Perhaps you are aware, that Master Volume could be at value "5.0" while the volume of the output you are recording from could be at "-85dB". So a small decrease of Master Volume could push a particular Output Volume off the cliff. In recent software we have added a display which makes the intentional behavior of Master Volume and the individual output volumes more obvious.

I'm always hesitant to update... in fact this started happening after I starting update the Kemper (main reason for the update was to have "mute" functionality). I really hate updates...

About the volume, my problem is that when I'm recording, some times the analog audio just fades away "because" and then no audio at all... without me touching anything (except the guitar :) ) And when it happens, it does randomly, is not always after x minutes...

• Have you checked your output volume settings like recommended?

I don't understand what "mute" functionality you are referring to and which you think had been added in 5.1.1!? Tuner Mute is available since the first day. No other "mute" functionality is coming to my mind.

When you are recording and the signal is fading away, how do you know, this is a Profiler issue?

Even if it was, we cannot fix issues in old software. Your decision, if you want to upgrade or not!

• thanks for your reply.

Well. I took a look at the output volume, but the thing is that the issue just appears randomly as I'm playing. It can be after 1-2-3 minutes or so, where the volume starts to reduce, usually in two steps and then off completely.

The only thing I do with the Kemper ATM is turn it on and off, as I'm recording the same guitar, I don't change any profile, effect, anything, just on and off... and sometimes the volumen (only for the Analog output, S/PDIF are still OK) goes away (like right now) and sometimes it stays as it should...

And the " fix" is to unplug/plug the INPUT... that's the only way to fix it... (or reboot the Kemper)... I may try to upgrade, but a year ago I never had this issue... until I applied the first upgrade... then my problems started... after that I upgraded a few times, to see if that would fix the issue, but no.

• Does Input LED still respond if it happens?

Which input are you using and how is Input Source set?

Have you tried to change inputs? Alternative Input instead of Front Input or vice verse with Input Source set accordingly.

• Hey Burkhard,

I've tried the Alternative Input when it was failing and it works! (didn't remember that the Kemper had an AI...)... and In fact I tried when the front one was failing, and then it started working again.

About the front input, yes the LED responded (well, that was expected since the SPDIF output always worked). About the Input settings, they were in SPDIF Reamp mode, switch them to front and still no Analog output.

Still can't understand why the SPDIF were working all along... maybe some internal routing... anyway I'm happy that the AI works as I use it only in my Home Studio, I guess I have a faulty front input...

Thanks!!!

• I'm not convinced that anything is broken.

If you want to use the Front Input and your guitar cable is plugged in, you should set Input Source accordingly - that's what it's here for - and not to "SPDIF Input Reamp". Otherwise Front Input might only work as long as there is no sync signal on the SPDIF IN.

• Hi,

I'm back to the old problems again...

Randomly the analog output starts to fade out to no-output at all. It can happen after starting the Kemper or in the middle of a recording (very annoying...), while playing.

I tried front input and alternative (back) input and configuring each (INPUT button) accordingly, and the same. Some times works, some times doesn't.

Most annoying in the middle of a recording...

edit: and the temporary solution is to "unplug/plug" the input, but only in "play mode", if I'm in "tuner mode" it doesn't work...

Edited once, last by ralphy77 ().

• This happens on one analog output (which one), all analog outputs?
    It doesn't happen on S/DIF Output?
    So, you unplug/plug the guitar cable and then the issue is gone? On both inputs: Font Input and Alternative Input?
    Have you checked the obvious, the guitar cable?
    What is "play mode"? Browser Mode?
    By default "Mute Signal" is activated in Tuner Mode. So, how could the sound recover while "Mute Signal" is activated?
    Are you using any pedal to control volume? Where is the bar of Volume Pedal in the System Settings, when the issue happens?
    Have you activated "Tuner@Volume 0"? And what if you deactivate that function?
    Where is the level of the relevant output volume e. g. Monitor Output Volume in dB, when the issue happens? And where is it normally?

• Hi Burkhard,

- this happens in "Direct output"
    - yes, if I unplug/plug the cable most of the time works, some times I need to do it a few times
    - yeah, I changed cables a few times, even when I think the cables nor the guitar are the problem, because the SPDIF outputs have always the same level.
    - yeah, "browser mode"
    - In fact when set to "tuner mode", the trick doesn't work, it only works in "browser mode"
    - nope, no volume pedal nor any other pedal for that matter.
    - Monitor output volume is -26.9dB

Please remember that this happens "because"... I'm recording a guitar and some times/some days the volumes fades away... and some times/some days I just can record without any issue... and some days there are more issues than other days.

I usually record 3 channels in my DAW: 2 SPDIF and 1 Analog, and when this happens, I'm playing and I see in my DAW that suddenly the "Analog track" signals fades away, while the SPDIF stays the same... ah, and sometimes instead of fading away, the volume (analog output only) is lower than it used to... (as it just has happened) until I apply the little "trick"...

• Instead of unplugging and plugging in the guitar cable what if you just hit the housing of the Profiler a bit. I'm afraid this might be a hardware defect. Pease open a support ticket.