Best way to record for my setup?

• Hey everyone,

So I've got this interface:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet2i4G2

I would like to record with my Kemper. Just wondering what would be the best way to go about this?

Do I run the XLR MAIN outputs from the Kemper into the XLR inputs on my Scarlett? I have two studio monitors using the 1/4" jack main outputs already, so I assume I cant use the XLR main outs at the same time, right?

Sorry, I'm a bit of a newb at this. Thanks for any help given!

• There may be a switch on the scarlett which let you choose LINE or INSTR, so I guess XLR or jack would work as well.

To record, this is what I would do to get stereo signal :
    Kemper jack (or XLR if LINE/INSTR works as expected) ) main out to the Scarlett's inputs and then you could plug the Scarlett outs to your studio monitors.
    Try the direct monitor switch in the scarlett to let the sound from the Kemper bypass the DAW so you'll have no latency (but still recording). This way you'll have all signals comming from your DAW in your monitors, and only 2 cables out from the Kemper.

• Awesome, that makes a lot of sense. Also, no point running both 1/4" outputs of the Kemper into both inputs of the scarlett, right? Just run one output into the Scarlett I assume?

• Yes right, it's either the 1/4" or the XLRs outs, not both together.

If you don't want to use the outputs on the scarlett for the studio monitors as an earlier poster suggested, you can keep your KPA to studio monitors as-is, and instead use Monitor Output and Direct Output jacks from the KPA into the 2 line/instr inputs on your scarlett (set the switches on the scarlett front panel to "INST").

On the KPA, in Output menu page 1, set Monitor output to Master Left and Direct Output to Master Right, thus giving you the full stereo signal, just as good as using the Main Outs (which of course we are saying you can't because they are tied up going into your studio monitors).

• Awesome, that makes a lot of sense. Also, no point running both 1/4" outputs of the Kemper into both inputs of the scarlett, right? Just run one output into the Scarlett I assume?

That's personal preference. I am recording the mono Monitor Out - configured to be the post-amp signal without any Kemper-FX - signal into a mono input of my audio Interface and add any fx later in my DAW.
    But as others have said, if you want to record the Kemper's own post-amp fx like delay, reverb or modulation, go stereo out of the Main Outs into both inputs of your Scarlett.

• You can plug the KPA also into the mic preamps and decide which input source of your recording device sounds better to you.
    We plugged my KPA recently into a tube preamp for recording purpose. That colored the sound in a nice way.