A Super Detailed Comprehensive REFINING guide

• Since the Kemper is a secret box full of magic that nobody know how works, it's difficult to make decisions about refining a profile. How you do it does make a difference. But we are all just guessing. (And wondering.)

A guide with some background about what the Kemper is listening for and perhaps an explanation of just what types of guitar sounds cause what types of refinements would be extremely helpful. Also some info about what happens when you refine for more that the suggested 20 seconds would be good. Do refining signals start to become less and less important as time goes by? Does drastically changing what you play while refining negate what you were playing before? It's such a black hole, yet an important part of the profiling process, we really do need more guidance.

My wish anyway,
    Wolf

• I thought that refining was less important now from some posts previously. It would only be worth thinking about if you are not getting accurate profiles really.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I'd like to see such a guide as well. You can certainly degrade some profiles if you refine them too much. I've gotten great results by not refining at all. It's a black art to a point methinks.

Another way it would help is for those of us without the facilities to isolate a screaming amp for A-B comparisons. If you can't hear the original amp through the same monitors as the profile, how do you know if the refining is really working?

• I agree completely. I'm thinking of putting a combo amp out in the car with a mic for isolation. I don't know if the car acoustics would screw it up or not. The neighbors will then have their proof that I am absolutely insane.

Just an idea,
    Wolf

Sent from the wrong iPhone.

• From the profiling guide (manual):

After the automatic profiling procedure, the Profile is nearly done and very close to the original already. Now it’stime to give it the final polish: press “Refine Profile” and play your guitar for about twenty seconds. This is notime for a meaningful solo - you need to play several chords, with attitude! This will generate inter-modulation inthe distortion that the Profiler needs to do its refining. Be sure to strum especially hard so that the Profiler has achance to analyze the transients. When you feel that you have refined the Profile enough, press the blinking softbutton to stop the process. Now make another A/B comparison to check the result. Repeat the process until youare satisfied.

• I remember seeing a video where the guy said to do as many dissonant chords as possible so the profiler can take in as much of the range of sounds as possible, i cant for the life of me find it atm but there was a guy and he played long stretched dissonant chords as well as the normal , he said it got him better results this way. Sorry i spent nearly an hour looking in my history and couldn't find it.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I remember seeing a video where the guy said to do as many dissonant chords as possible so the profiler can take in as much of the range of sounds as possible, i cant for the life of me find it atm but there was a guy and he played long stretched dissonant chords as well as the normal , he said it got him better results this way. Sorry i spent nearly an hour looking in my history and couldn't find it.

Ash

Not much help are ya!
    8)

• I must admit that I struggle to hear much difference after the refining process. After trying many approaches of either high of low chords, there is not a lot happening beyond the original profiling. Maybe it is more noticeable on clean sounds where dynamics are easier to spot?

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

Ash

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I owe @musicmad a Beer (or 2!), SOB i tried for an hour to find that.
    Thanks man!! :)

@ the OP skip to 2:59 in the video, he shows the weird chords i was talking about used to refine.

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I would also love this guide.

I've been profiling a TON bass amps and pres lately and I find I get the best results when I change as many things as possible.

I run a routine that includes fingerstyle, pick style, slap, tapping, mutes and harmonics and I do that with everything at "noon" then again on each p/u soloed and with the EQ at both extremes. I've been pretty happy with the results.

I've been tempted to try switching guitars in the middle of the refinement but IDK what would happen or if it would help.

• Watch these profiling sessions - especially how they refine the profiles.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I have to revisit all of this; last time I profiled (about a year ago) I made Direct profiles, and got the best results with no refinement at all. I did find you can wreck a profile if you refine it too much. But these videos look very promising, and I need to try out the Stage with profiling.