KEMPER error after installing new update - photo!

• Re-install the 1.0.4 from the USB key. Procedure described in the thread "Kemper is toast"

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Same picture I had some hours before :)

Got it work again.

First of all a disclaimer: I have no clue if the manufacturer likes it when users go to the maintanance menu. I would recommend not to touch anything where you feel unsure. I guess you could toast the unit that hard in there that you'd need to send it back to support. It's your own decision and your own responsibility when you do that.

And that's what I did:

Copied from Armins site:

Note: ALL the rigs will be erased during this procedure!!

• Switch the main knob to off
    • Hold the left/top soft-key above the LCD
    • while still holding this key - switch KPA to tuner
    • Maintenance Module will be started
    • In the 'Maintenance' menu goto 'Memory'
    • Use Memory FormatFlash and InitFlash (I pressed init here)
    • Check if the KPA works (booting, tuner)
    • Resinstall your rigs - I recommend to just install the stock rigs - in case you have corruped rigs on your USB stick
    • Load additional rigs - check if all rigs work (Did not work with FW 1.05, freezed again!)
    • Check all the KPA settings

I then have put FW 1.04 back on the stick and downdated, then loaded my restored state and now I'm back FW 1.04.

I'll wait for now until someone can say why the update failed.

• Many thanks it works again! thanks God I have not wait days without the toy hehehe

I rather prefer to wait just like you until this new update is checked....these are the risks of beeing a beta-tester ?(

NEVER :!:
    say
    NEVER
    :!:

• I've got the same message yesterday twice. Got the KPA working again following Armin's fix. I know this fix by head now ;( But when 1.05 was working it worked fine and the latency has improved IMHO. I've tweaked some sounds and off course made a back up. If I do a restore then I can't find the sounds I've tweaked, save as...(renamed) anymore. Another thing is that when I have assigned midi PC numbers these ore gone when doing a restore. Does this mean that if I make a new rig that back up isn't enough and I always have to export new rigs to be sure they are saved (including midi PC number)? ?(

I only have freezes when I turn the KPA of and only starting up if freezes many times. If it works it works fine. I think a go back to 1.04......

• What you can do instead of exporting rigs from the unit itself, using it's UI wich is timeconsuming is to extract the rigs from the backupfiles.
    The shareware 'total commander' is a different kind of windows-explorer, with it you can look inside the backup-file wich is a zipped kind of archive and you can directly take out rigs and cabs by drag-and-drop.
    Be careful and don't touch anything else, where you could corrupt global settings or midi settings. That could lead into another weird errors.

• Okay thanks! I'll try that. I have total commander already installed so that's no problem. But I still hope there'll be very soon FW that doesn't crash anymore.......

• Hi people,

I have get the answer from the people of Kemper, very nice and quick :thumbup:

With this trick it seems you conserve the profiles that you got in the memory.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    there are some KPA's having problems after installing 1.0.5, I suggest to downgrade to 1.0.4 in a simple way.
    Copy the 1.0.4 Kaos.bin file to the USB stick and don't place it in the OS Update folder, leave it solo on the stick.

Connect the stick to the KPA an hold Exit during startup, the KPA now boots from the USB stick,

after rebooting you will be asked to install the new firmware, wich in this case is the 1.0.4.

Hope that helps, we're working to get the problem fixed.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I did follow the instruction of Armin and worked well, but I let this text here for the people with the same problem. Please tell if you conserve so the profiles.

NEVER :!:
    say
    NEVER
    :!:

• After having a hell with freezing KPA and problems installing FW 1.05 and other issues I THINK I got the solution.

Earlier I tried the system reset and also MIDI reset but tonight I dared
    to try the ERASE THE INTERNAL FLASH MEMORY in the KPA Hints doc.

After that I installed the FW 1.05 and seem to have no problems.

Even the BUZZING noise is almost totally gone.

Now I will load my backup of all rigs and presets and maybe my luck ends there if there are corrupt files....

So far :thumbup: :D :!:

Mike

• Well, so far, that's the problem. You can load some 400 to 500 rigs and as long as it's not getting more, it should run stable under FW 1.05.
    When you try to import more it'll freeze again.
    I have now more than 1K rigs inside, with FW 1.04. What I'm after actually is to find out wich rigs I like and wich I don't need and I hope to get rid of 500 rigs or more, so I can hold the rest and update to 1.05 without freeze or crash.
    But if you import more than 500 rigs and it works on yours, please tell me about it.

• Hi
    You were right... 8o
    I installed the backup of all my rigs/presets and.....back KPA went back into the freezer.....
    Do you mean it´s a memory capacity problem or could there be a corrupt file or files/rigs/presets that we load?
    I read something from Kemper about files getting corrupt if you use a HEX Editor.

But on the other hand I guess it should not work under FW 1.04 either then?

Mike

• Well, so far, that's the problem. You can load some 400 to 500 rigs and as long as it's not getting more, it should run stable under FW 1.05.
    When you try to import more it'll freeze again.
    I have now more than 1K rigs inside, with FW 1.04. What I'm after actually is to find out wich rigs I like and wich I don't need and I hope to get rid of 500 rigs or more, so I can hold the rest and update to 1.05 without freeze or crash.
    But if you import more than 500 rigs and it works on yours, please tell me about it.

You mean to say, FW 1.0.5. is only capable of running <500 rigs
    while FW 1.0.4. is capable of running >1000 rigs?

Really? Was this confirmed by Kemper?

• No, I have no official confirmation about the max number of rigs...although I asekd the support if there is a number. What I tried myself is to load different portions of my rigs into the KPA and it didn't crash with any portion as long as there weren't too many rigs imported. I could import my first 400, my middle 300, my last 400, and it didn't crash. I did it that way to find the portion with the corrupted rigs, that's what I hoped. But there was no killer-rig, it worked as long as the total number of rigs stayed low. I still hope they find a solution so I can go on wasting memory and messing around with rigs, it's easier...but if not, that's ok, so I have to sort them and delete the weak ones.

• I can confirm this. I've worked with 1300 rigs on FW 1.04 to play most of them and keep the best. When upgrading to FW 1.05: freeze. Now I'm on FW 1.05 with 300 rigs and np problems. I import 100 rigs at a time to try them out and keep some of them. I delete the others and as long as I stay around 300 rigs loaded then FW 1.05 works perfect!

• FWIW, I upgraded to FW 1.0.5 just today with 900+ rigs stored in my KPA unit.
    Worked flawlessly with no crash or anything. No pops or audio stutters with mine at all either. Been playing for 3 straight hours now.
    WTF? 8|

• I managed that to but then I turned the KPA off and the next boot up it froze again.
    Now I am back on 1.04.
    Got a mail from support today saying that a new firmware should be near.
    Hope so
    Mike