Finding the OS version of a backup - Solved

• Hi Daan,
    rename backup file with .tar extension, then open with archiving sw. eg. Winrar, 7zip.
    Inside tar archive you will find file ".InstalledVersion.txt" open in text editor, and that contains build number of OS.
    To get from buildnumber to OS version is more complicated as there is no public list of versions, but I have pretty good archive of all OS versions from the past, so if you will tell me buildnumber I may be able to give you OS version.

As for backward compatibility I can not tell for sure, but I expect it to be. You can always try that yourself, just make backup of your current KPA before.

• Thanks Peto!
    I already renamed the backup to rar and opened the archive. I could not find the OS number anywhere, but did not think about the build number.

I have over 70 backups from last 2 years on my computer, just thought there might be an easy way to find out OS versions.

I think I'll just try to restore my oldest backup from 2 years ago and see what happens.

• Hey,

Is there a way to find out with what OS version a certain backup was made?
    Also, are Profiler backups backward compatible? In other words: can I use old backups with newer firmware?

An older backup will always be played with the (current) FW that's on your profiler.
    So backwards compatibility: YES.
    The only case a problem could occur if you have a very old FW on your profiler and load a profile that was done with a newer FW and might contain features (e.g. PureCab, new delays) that weren‘t yet implemented in the older FW.

Solution: always run the latest stable release FW (or the public beta, if you don’t have gigs that depend on your profiler).

• The ReadMe file that is included in every OS download package includes cumulative information about all published revisions. It shows the revision numbers in the following format: 5.4.1.13212. So, with the help of the latest ReadMe you can map every build number.

• Current software can process all Rigs and Presets regardless of the revision these were stored with. There are no feature limitations nor sound changes.

If you try to run young Rigs/Preset under old OS revisions, there can be feature limitations e.g. new Delay Types might appear as another effect. It is also possible that newer file formats are not accepted at all. In this case an error message might indicate invalid files and such invalid Rigs and Presets will not even appear in the Browse Pool after a start. The good news is, as soon as you upgrade the Profiler OS again, all Rigs and Presets will reappear and features will be back to normal.