RATM Garbled Whammy Sound

• I'm unable to achieve the "garbled" Tom Morello Whammy Pitch sound (as on such tracks as Bullet In The Head) with my Kemper, even with "Smooth Chords" turned off. Does anyone have a solution for this, or do I need to go and buy an old Whammy pedal?

• I just listened to that song for the first time in years and wasn't sure which one it was till the chorus kicked in! Lol

Anyways, I would say try messing with the format shift and the detune on the pedal pitch or chromatic. Try them in small intervals and resort to extreme values later if necessary.

I've noticed to get a good replica pitch shift like a pog or whammy you gotta add some of that "zizzle" in there. Hope this helps! Cheers.

• I just listened to that song for the first time in years and wasn't sure which one it was till the chorus kicked in! Lol

Anyways, I would say try messing with the format shift and the detune on the pedal pitch or chromatic. Try them in small intervals and resort to extreme values later if necessary.

I've noticed to get a good replica pitch shift like a pog or whammy you gotta add some of that "zizzle" in there. Hope this helps! Cheers.

I'm not seeing Formant Shift or Detune in the Pedal Pitch parameters. I can get a more garbled sound by pressing the Freeze Formants soft button but that makes the whammy largely useless for the other parts of the song, although I might save this sound as an extra rig in my performance.

• I'm not seeing Formant Shift or Detune in the Pedal Pitch parameters. I can get a more garbled sound by pressing the Freeze Formants soft button but that makes the whammy largely useless for the other parts of the song, although I might save this sound as an extra rig in my performance.

Did you try out that Gordius foot controller I suggested to you, @Stringtheorist? You could have programmed the expression pedal to switch to a whammy with certain parameters selected within a certain value and switch to a regular whammy with formant switch etc when you were in a different range. Perhaps that would help.

We really need more of those kind of foot controller functions in the Remote, imho. The heavy lifting is being done by the Kemper, we just need a more capable controller.

• Did you try out that Gordius foot controller I suggested to you, @Stringtheorist? You could have programmed the expression pedal to switch to a whammy with certain parameters selected within a certain value and switch to a regular whammy with formant switch etc when you were in a different range. Perhaps that would help.

We really need more of those kind of foot controller functions in the Remote, imho. The heavy lifting is being done by the Kemper, we just need a more capable controller.

I agree with your second point. However, on reflection I didn't try the Gordius as I decided the Remote covers all my bases as long as I use Performance mode and assign one performance per song.

• I'm not seeing Formant Shift or Detune in the Pedal Pitch parameters. I can get a more garbled sound by pressing the Freeze Formants soft button but that makes the whammy largely useless for the other parts of the song, although I might save this sound as an extra rig in my performance.

if they aren't on a different page then I would just use the chromatic pitch and use the morph feature to change whatever parameters you need to change? If you only need 1 pitch shift, you can just leave the other one set unison

• I agree with your second point. However, on reflection I didn't try the Gordius as I decided the Remote covers all my bases as long as I use Performance mode and assign one performance per song.

Definitely the most user friendly device. I just found that with my synth rig, I needed to be able to tell my expression pedal sometimes do this with the Kemper, sometimes tweak that LFO, sometimes do both simultaneously. You've never had as much fun with the pitch shifter as when you combine it with a wah and the vinyl stop effect!

• I'm unable to achieve the "garbled" Tom Morello Whammy Pitch sound (as on such tracks as Bullet In The Head) with my Kemper, even with "Smooth Chords" turned off. Does anyone have a solution for this, or do I need to go and buy an old Whammy pedal?

I tried to achieve this sound with the Kemper and I failed. I actually bought a Whammy pedal just for this one sound.

• same here. Before I switched to the Kemper I used a Boss GP-10 in front of my Marshall. The GP-10 Whammy effect was really close to the RATM sound I needed (for 'Killin in the name').
    But with the Kemper... hmm. that is a bummer. I would guess this can be fixed via software (if Boss nails it, Kemper surely can), so maybe some update in future...

_____________________________________________________________________________
    Kemper Player, Seymour Duncan Powerstage, Orange PPC212, Suhr S.Henderson Strat, Fender Ultra Tele, PRS S2 Custom24, Variax JTV-69