full range speaker

• Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if anyone here could give me an advice on what Full Range cabinet to buy for my Kemper. I use the unpowered version so I need a powered speaker and, after a lot of searching online I feel there's a bit of confusion and I can't decide...the models and brands that seems the best to me are:
    MATRIX FR12
    MATRIX FR10

FRIEDMAN ASM 12 (this mounts Celestions so this means this feels more like a regular amp cabinet but also colours the sound so it's not full range?)
    HEADRUSH FRFR 122 (but I saw it seems identical to a rebranded ALTO TS 212 but with more power..anyone tried these?)
    Yamaha DRX12

I play a baritone guitar and I need a lightweight speaker that I can use at home for sound tweaking and onstage, so I also need volume I guess... so I was thinking to settle on a MATRIX FR12 that has also the DSP function which is interesting but has 300w of power versus, for example, the 2000W of the Headrush..what's the difference? do I need that much power? any advice anyone?
    thanks in advance
    Alex

• Alto TS212 incoming, tomorrow.
    I’ve tested some mid budget monitors, last month after selling my two DXR10’s but none of them was OK. Now I’m gonna check some low budget monitors. I.e. the Behringer B212d sounds very OK, for € 229,-.
    I’m expecting an ANT Greenhead 12 as well.
    ANT is a newcomer, comes from the RCF factory.

• Alto TS212: returned.
    Ant Greenhead 12: returned.

The Alto seemed nice on "living room volume", but if you turn the volume up to "rehearsel level", the high freq's are boosted. On one point I've set the Monitor EQ Presence on -3.5. The overall sound didn't appeal to me at all.
    The Ant was not as loud as the Alto, very mid-scooped sound, screaming, ear-pearcing mid-highs and highs, very loose and boomy low's. Not my cup of tea.

About 10 years ago I was playing live on a Roland GR-55 with two Behringer B210d's, in that days I was very confident with my sound. So I thought I order two B210d's again (with discount € 300,- for a pair!!). And guess what: with the KPA they sound great as well. Very compact and lightweight, 3 years warranty, very loud, no problems on rehearsal level, built in 2-band EQ with right freq.bands (80 Hz and 12 kHz) to my ears. So I've put them on the Master outputs (jack) and I don't have to adjust the Master output EQ on the KPA.
    The B210d might not powerful enough for you, in that case you can choose the bigger brother B212d or B215d. Both are rated at 550W instead of 200W of the B210d.

• Thanks for the feedback and advice DML, I'm also curious to hear the new HEADRUSH 112... it seems pretty cool on specs and is fairly low priced :)

• XITONE! Period...................kills Friedman asm (I own one) Kills Atomic CLR (I own one)
    Xitone is lighter (About 20% of the weight of my asm), more cab like and points where you want it (CLR does not)

Never heard of the Alto. The ones I mentioned are the top 3. Matrix makes good stuff but I see a lot of them for sale.....................

Any pa type speaker sounds like a pa speaker. Splurge and get a high end made for KPA rig. Xitone likes it loud.........Louder the better. It pops with killer 3D sounds dispersion sweet mids and plenty of lows!

The Atomic CLR is 2nd, completely flat but there have been well documented issues with customer service. The ASM is in my spare bedroom/studio and sounds great but its super heavy and awkward to move. A little boomy but it can be eq'd.
    If your not going to move it much it can be nabbed used for $600 ish

• After reading up on the matter, actually no. The specs are different, in the same housing as the Alto obviously.Will be interesting to hear them once they hit the market.

Headrush with 2x power and 50% bigger tweeter, rest is the same.

From both speakers' tech specs:

--------------------- HEADRUSH FR1212 ------------------------------- -----------------------ALTO TS212 ---------------------

2000 watts of peak power (1000W continuous) Output Power: 1100 W peak (700 LF + 400 HF) 550 W continuous RMS (350 LF + 200 HF)
    LF Driver: 12-inch (304.8mm) 3-inch (76.2mm) high-temperature voice coil Low Frequency: 12-inch (305 mm) woofer, 2.5-inch (63.5 mm) voice coil
    HF Driver: 1.5-inch (38.1mm) neodymium HF driver with precision waveguide High Frequency: 1-inch (25 mm) neodymium driver with precision waveguide
    Crossover: 2000Hz Crossover: 2 kHz
    Maximum SPL: 127dB peak, 124dB continuous (dB SPL @ 1 m) Maximum SPL: 127 dB peak, 124 dB continuous (dB-SPL @ 1 m)
    Frequency Response: Frequency Response: 53 Hz – 20 kHz (±3dB) Frequency Response: 53 Hz – 20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
    Frequency Range: Frequency Range: 46 Hz – 22 kHz (-10dB) Frequency Range: 46 Hz – 22 kHz (-10 dB)
    Horn Coverage: Horn Coverage: 90° H x 60° V nominal Coverage: 90° H x 60° V nominal
    (2) XLR/TRS 1/4” combo inputs with independent volume controls and clip
    indicator + XLR output sends mix to the front of house or links additional FRFR-112 cabinets
    Connectors: (2) XLR + ¼-inch combo jack mic/line inputs (1) XLR Mix Output
    Contour EQ switch cuts through muddy-sounding stage mixes Controls: Volume, power on/off with LED, clip limiter with LED, ground lift
    Ground-Lift switch eliminates unwanted noise at venues with grounding issues Protection: Electronic clip, thermal and transducer overdrive protection
  • Headrush with 2x power and 50% bigger tweeter, rest is the same.
    From both speakers' tech specs:

--------------------- HEADRUSH FR1212 ------------------------------- -----------------------ALTO TS212 ---------------------

2000 watts of peak power (1000W continuous) Output Power: 1100 W peak (700 LF + 400 HF) 550 W continuous RMS (350 LF + 200 HF)
    LF Driver: 12-inch (304.8mm) 3-inch (76.2mm) high-temperature voice coil Low Frequency: 12-inch (305 mm) woofer, 2.5-inch (63.5 mm) voice coil
    HF Driver: 1.5-inch (38.1mm) neodymium HF driver with precision waveguide High Frequency: 1-inch (25 mm) neodymium driver with precision waveguide
    Crossover: 2000Hz Crossover: 2 kHz
    Maximum SPL: 127dB peak, 124dB continuous (dB SPL @ 1 m) Maximum SPL: 127 dB peak, 124 dB continuous (dB-SPL @ 1 m)
    Frequency Response: Frequency Response: 53 Hz – 20 kHz (±3dB) Frequency Response: 53 Hz – 20 kHz (+/- 3 dB)
    Frequency Range: Frequency Range: 46 Hz – 22 kHz (-10dB) Frequency Range: 46 Hz – 22 kHz (-10 dB)
    Horn Coverage: Horn Coverage: 90° H x 60° V nominal Coverage: 90° H x 60° V nominal
    (2) XLR/TRS 1/4” combo inputs with independent volume controls and clipindicator + XLR output sends mix to the front of house or links additional FRFR-112 cabinets Connectors: (2) XLR + ¼-inch combo jack mic/line inputs (1) XLR Mix Output
    Contour EQ switch cuts through muddy-sounding stage mixes Controls: Volume, power on/off with LED, clip limiter with LED, ground lift
    Ground-Lift switch eliminates unwanted noise at venues with grounding issues Protection: Electronic clip, thermal and transducer overdrive protection

In all fairness you'd have to admit that due to the different specs the Headrush FRFR cannot just be called a rebranded Alto. It's a modified one, and if the modifications make for a higher quality remains to be seen.

• I'm super curious as to how these will sound! I certainly won't be switching things up just yet, not until they have proven themselves. They could be super noisy, who knows? Still, for the price it's a consideration?

I'm curious as well. It's good to see that with more guitar players embracing profiling and modeling we finally get more dedicated options on how to amplify the front end.

• In all fairness you'd have to admit that due to the different specs the Headrush FRFR cannot just be called a rebranded Alto. It's a modified one, and if the modifications make for a higher quality remains to be seen.

The same chassis, the same control board buildwise.
    The same LF driver, the same frequency range, the same frequency response, the same crossover frequency, the same maximum SPL, the same horn coverage soundwise.
    More power (bigger power amp), bigger tweeter.
    Yes, let the tests tell the truth - if anyone tests those 2 side by side.

345 Euro for Headrush available at preoorder at thomann:
    https://www.thomann.de/pl/head…fr_112_active_monitor.htm

325 Euro for ALTO
    https://www.thomann.de/pl/alto_ts_212.htm

• You don’t say what your budget is,but if you
    are considering the Matrix stuff, I would say
    check out Xitone. I have been using the
    Yamaha DXR 10,which has been highly regarded by many on this forum. I liked it,but I
    just bought the Xitone M Britt 12” powered cab
    used from Reverb. This thing is fantastic. It has five DSP modes and Bluetooth connectivity to play music through it. It sounds like a great tube amp. I’ve only had it for a few days and haven’t played out with it yet, but I forsee no problems in that area,it can get LOUD

• Quote from soundactivist

FRIEDMAN ASM 12 (this mounts Celestions so this means this feels more like a regular amp cabinet but also colours the sound so it's not full range?)

Not real sure where you read this about the sound coloring, but that FRFR speaker is very "flat" sounding and full ranged as well. And yes, I own 2 of them and love mine. I use them on two telescoping poles about 4' off the ground and to me they sound wonderful and tone rich. FYI, Everyone who has one (or two) FRFR cabs will tell you theirs is the best and loves theirs as well, so best advice is find a place that has many and try them all yourself. That said, the many good reviews from others who have purchased the ASM-12 at major music sites is what got my attention when I was looking for some.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

Edited once, last by spikey ().

• Thanks everyone for al the tips!
    @spikey thanks for commenting on the Friedman, that thing on the celestion speaker was only a question, now I got this right :)
    I'm agree with you, I'd need to try some myself, unfortunately where I live i doubt I'd find enough variety...I'd never get to try the matrix, the xitone the clr or the friedman...plus I play baritone so I was trying to understand which cabs could be better in terms of power and construction for the extended bass range. Based on what you hear do you think the asm-12 could handle more bass?

• This was with my Ax8, I have yet to do a comparison with my KPA, but you get a general feel (sort of ) in my video here

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Another vid with just the Xitone which is my favorite.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Your welcome, I still have all three.
    Surprised so dew people know about Xitone -the top dog hands down

We pay top dollar for our Kemper's then people don't want to shell out the coin for a quality FRFR which is arguably the most important part of our tone. Baffling.
    *For the record All my Fractal gear has been sold