Interaction w/ Guitar when Recording

• Do any of you record with a loud speaker in the room to capture the interaction and feedback? Seems like that would be really important. I've only used headphones for tracking so far.

• How much does it matter for clean tones? Is there still a bunch of noticeable interaction at loud clean volumes well before feedback?

The only reason I mentioned volume is because feedback requires enough volume for the acoustic energy of the speaker to drive the string. With enough volume, feedback is possible with clean and low gain sounds, too.

Touch sensitivity interaction is equally noticeable for me at low volumes and at higher volumes. I don't adjust my dynamic technique based on volume.

• I track bass with live drums in the room on the cans.
    I run monitors for the rest. Just don't run a Tele into a Diesel.
    Damn it was rippin until I stepped in a little close.
    Could not hear the phone ring for 3 days.
    Play outside the cans and you get closer to the end result.
    Call all the neighbors and chain up the dogs. :thumbup:

• I recently connected a floor monitor besides the main outs to the Kemper when I was recording to a playback. So my setup was 2 studio monitors plus 1 extra speaker only for the guitar. If I had bigger studio monitors this setup would make sense. But my 5,5" AdamAX5 just don´t have enough low end to fit into this setup.
    I´m sure it would make a better live feel if there is an extra speaker for guitar.
    Feedback you can achieve with turning your monitors louder, like paults said.

Or was your question meant like you want to record the guitar with an additional room mic? That can make sense as well if you like to mix a room sound to the closed miced Kemper sounds.

• No room mics, just the extra energy that the sound waves put back into the strings. I guess it can have undesirable cancellation effects as well if one string affects another?

• Back in the day of recording guitars with the speaker in the live room, and the guitarist in the control room.
    I used to hook up a small amp with some kind of distortion pedal in front of it in the control room. Doesn't matter which, as long as it had enough gain to feed back when required.
    I'd then put an a,b,y box after the guitar.
    Whenever the guitarist wanted feedback all he/she had to do was temporarily hit the Y button to get the small amp in play.

Issues like this aren't really digital amp related, more a case of not having engineers and producers to do the job that is not in the musicians skillset.