Interesting article on future development of Access Virus and KPA given the looming EOL of the DSP chips these are built on

• With 5 more years before EOL, and Kemper being fully aware of that fact, that gives them plenty of time to order and stock up on chips to take them another 5 years or more after EOL.

That would buy them plenty of time to find and implement a successor.

• With 5 more years before EOL, and Kemper being fully aware of that fact, that gives them plenty of time to order and stock up on chips to take them another 5 years or more after EOL.

That would buy them plenty of time to find and implement a successor.

It would be a shame if they didn't port it to a new architecture. If support from the DSP manufacturer is removed due to product EOL, other tools (coding, code translation) and hardware necessary (boards, sockets etc) might no longer be available to support the architecture so it may not be a simple matter of soldiering on with a few spare barrels of Freescale chips. Anyone trying to run old code/old machines in the PC or Mac world runs into all these issues PDQ and is often forced to junk machines that work perfectly because they do not support current standards (eg for internet browsing or audio plugins).

• I have no doubt it will eventually be ported to a new architecture. But with 5 more years before EOL and plenty of opportunity to stock up before then... I don’t see a need to rush it. They’ve got plenty of time to do it right, and can buy themselves a little more time if need be. I’ve seen it happen in other instances. I’ve seen multi-billion dollar retail stores stock up on point of sale hardware that was reaching end of life because they knew it was more affordable to do so and would buy them more time. Apples to orangutans of course... Kemper isn’t a multi-billion dollar company, but I see no reason it couldn’t also work equally as well for a smaller operation. We’ll see soon enough.