New Kemper Owner - Need Cab Options

• I am new here, just got a powered Kemper and love it. I have read through old threads but they end up incomplete and the OP didnt update with his findings.

Right now I have a bunch on cabs to choose from. Marshall 4x12, Marshall vintage greenback 4x12, Mesa 4x12, Two Rock 2x12, Dr Z 2x12 blue/gold, Dr Z 2x12 h30. So I have the luxury of messing with profiles and turning the cab sim off and just changing cabs for the right sound. So if I run a Dr Z Wreck profile, I can use the real Dr Z Wreck cab and when I compare the real amp vs Kemper it so close. Then I can use a OLD Mesa profile and run it through my Mesa 4x12 and compare it to my Mesa Dual and it sounds close (Kemper might sound better). But I should downsize. I told myself that if the Kemper does what its supposed to do then I would get rid of stuff. I use the Kemper mostly for jamming in room and sometimes with a band. I am not doing shows now and I may use it for recording where it will really shine. But for now, its just jamming. I know what amps sound like and I want them to still feel the same.

So my question is about cabs. If I downsize to something like the Mission 2x12 passive, that would hopefully work. But what are my options?

-Id like a 2x12 that looks like a real cab
    -Sound great for vintage fender to modern high gain

Then I want to maybe branch out and get a stereo setup to take advantage of everything the Kemper has to offer. My rig before when I played out was a mesa dual and ran that stereo with a marshall or a 6505+ or a twin. I dont need all that baggage now.

• I run a couple Orange PPC112's and they sound great, but to get them to sound "larger" I had to convert them to open back because two 1x12" is not the same as a single 2x12" imho, it just doesn't have the same bass response, but I'm quite happy with the sound I'm getting with this option nevertheless.

I have a 4x12" old Marshall 1960AX with greenbacks but the Kemper sounds "muddy" on it, the greenbacks are awesome for the gritty Marshall heads but the Kemper adds so much more range that they lack definition, the V30's are much more open and it sound overall more balanced to my ears.

If I was on the market for a 2x12" I'd definitely look into the Orange v30 range ... the ppc212 is quite heavy if you're gigging regularly but there's a new vertical option that is significantly lighter and could be an option.

There's also the Victory v212vv that looks awesome and should sound great too.

I'm in Europe, and the Boogie recto 212's are quite expensive here so I'd rule them out, but if you're in the US it's an option.

Or just grab the guitar and the Kemper and head out to a store, they should be fine with you experimenting with some cabs.

• So my question is about cabs. If I downsize to something like the Mission 2x12 passive, that would hopefully work. But what are my options?

If you go with Mission contact Paul directly and talk with him. Super nice guy and he may even offer you a "players" discount for a review/vid. I did, but went with 2 DXR's this past black friday as I got a deal I just couldn't pass up locally! FRFR is the best for sure but a cab sounds pretty good too, however, why sacrifice when you have a KPA? :thumbup:

@ashtweth runs 2 Kempers and 2 Mission's, I bet that sounds as good as he says it does!!! :evil::D

• Thanks for the reply but I am looking for a FRFR 2x12 that looks like a real cab so I can take advantage of the cab IRs. I have a lot of cabs that work great but I want FRFR so I can cut the need for more cabs.

• Thanks for the reply but I am looking for a FRFR 2x12 that looks like a real cab so I can take advantage of the cab IRs. I have a lot of cabs that work great but I want FRFR so I can cut the need for more cabs.

I didn’t get you were looking exclusively for an FRFR cab.

Those mission cabs do look awesome but are very expensive, are they really worth the premium over something like the new headrush cab or a regular PA monitor?

• I talked to Mission about the KM 212 P and the Gemeni 2. The fact that I have a powered head pushes me towards the KM 212 but I am wondering if I can just use a Mesa 2x12 and throw flat speakers in it. Maybe EV12L, Celestion V90, or the Neyodomian (however its spelled) type. Kind of gives me the same thing and I have the cab.

• Bummer if the https://missionengineering.com…s/km-212p/?v=6cc98ba2045f
    KM 212 is not Stereo (the active Gemini 2 i use is, i use 2 of them)
    Looks like it may be mono?
    Well theoretically it wont matter as long as you put in good FRFR speakers in the Mesa cab right?
    but if its not stereo, then there is no beer for you :D

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

Edited once, last by ashtweth ().

• Contact Eminence for the correct speakers plus crossover for you new Mesa "FRFR"

Tell them what you are trying to accomplish and they will hook you up. 8)

I originally started in your direction but ended up with a CLR.......

Just scored a used DXR12 for juicing my drum machines and it would work nicely as well.

I would take either option over a Mission cab personally.

• Don't get any cabs with 'stereo' speakers. i.e. two separate speaker channels right next to each other in one cab, you get all kinds of weird swooshing and stuff if there is any bouncing back and forth the two with chorus or delays.

• A mono/stereo option like Mesa offers is ideal for me but doesn’t exist. The Gemini passive is stereo but not mono and I have the powered Kemper so I’d need to add an amp which I don’t want to do.

I need speakers for a 2x12. Then decide if I want open or closed back. I play country to metal so that’s rough to choose.

A Mesa roadking 4x12 would be cool w a half close and half open option w different speakers.

Speaking of speakers, how are ev12l?

• Hang on unless i am missing some thing (wont be the first or last time :D )
    The mission cabs (passive and active) some the signal up so you get stereo effects and dont need to plug in 2 amps..
    So the powered profiler will still run in that 2X12 and you will hear stereo effects like ping pong delays etc.
    This is what happens in my active cab(s).

Ask mission they will probably back me up :)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• First you said you want FRFR, now you're saying you want a real cab?

I would like to find something that looks like the 212 P but be FRFR. I thought thats what it was when I started this thread but found out it wasnt. So the Gemeni 2 is what would work it seems.

This is interesting and solves my issue if so. I dont see how a mono out from a Kemper powered head could end up stereo but I guess its possible. You hear ping pong effects via headphone because of a TRS stereo cable and the speaker out doesnt have that.

• Internally the Gemini 2-P features two 12″ low frequency drivers, two titanium high frequency drivers, and passive crossovers designed to work in stereo when used with compatible modelers and cabinet simulators.

My cab is stereo one kemper,=stereo effects
    YOURS IS THE SAME BUT WITH THE POWER AMP IN THE KEMPER NOT THE SPEAKER
    Same drivers and voodoo :D
    Call mission bro they will tell you ;)

Ash

• Nope. That won’t work....

From mission:

The Gemini 2-P is a stereo speaker and requires a stereo (2-Channel) power amp. The internal power amp in the Profiler is mono (1-Channel). If you wish to use the internal power amplifier in the Profiler, this will be mono only. You can use the Gemini 1-P if you require a compact full range speaker, or the KM 212-P if guitar range is sufficient. The KM-212-P will have a higher SPL in most cases since it has 2 x 12 drivers, but these are wired in series so it is still mono.

If you require stereo, you can use a Gemini 2-P and an external 2 channel power amp, or you can use an active Gemini such as the Gemini 2. Active Gemini’s have the power amps inside the cabinet so you do not need external amps. In this case you would leave the internal amp in the Profiler unused or use it for something else.

• bummer it's the opposite with my active Gemini , one profiler into the cab and stereo out, makes a huge difference in sound

Ash