Is it legal to resell profiles?

• Just like software, I believe you buy the non-transferable right to use the software. So selling profiles you've bought is not right to me, except maybe if you include them in a KPA unit you're selling and you don't keep copies.

This is bleeding edge stuff though, so there'll be exploitation. I imagine the file sharing and stolen games/apps/music pirate crowd have full access to any profiles they want.

• I would say at the very minimum it is morally questionable. IF commercial profiles are accompanied by a non-transferable “software” license... then it would absolutely be illegal. I’m not sure how many commercial profile makers include a non-transferable software license as part of the purchase. If they don’t... they should. Otherwise from a “legal” standpoint I would say unfortunately it isn’t illegal... just immoral. Which doesn’t make any any better by any means.

• Im not a lawyer, and I don't know about other jurisdictions, but my understanding is that under EU law somebody can sell on the software as long as they delete it from their own devices, and this would trump whatever is in the licence agreement. There was a case involving the software giant Oracle a few years ago: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/g…a-digital-distribution/1/

Now the question of whether the seller actually does destroy their own copy or not, and whether the seller going against a purchase agreement (even though not legally binding) is morally just or not, is up to the prospective buyer to ponder.

On a not-totally-unrelated note, how would people feel if somebody had a second kemper, and made profiles of existing commerical profiles for sale? For what it's worth, I dont have a 2nd kemper, and I don't plan to do this!

• Im not a lawyer, and I don't know about other jurisdictions, but my understanding is that under EU law somebody can sell on the software as long as they delete it from their own devices, and this would trump whatever is in the licence agreement. There was a case involving the software giant Oracle a few years ago: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/g…a-digital-distribution/1/

Now the question of whether the seller actually does destroy their own copy or not, and whether the seller going against a purchase agreement (even though not legally binding) is morally just or not, is up to the prospective buyer to ponder.

On a not-totally-unrelated note, how would people feel if somebody had a second kemper, and made profiles of existing commerical profiles for sale? For what it's worth, I dont have a 2nd kemper, and I don't plan to do this!

If he’s selling it more than once he’s making copies and not destroying his copy. He’s distributing copies.

I can’t imagine this is legal if there is any kind of user agreement. Especially with paid profiles

But I’m also not a lawyer. :)

• Just like software, I believe you buy the non-transferable right to use the software. So selling profiles you've bought is not right to me, except maybe if you include them in a KPA unit you're selling and you don't keep copies.

This is bleeding edge stuff though, so there'll be exploitation. I imagine the file sharing and stolen games/apps/music pirate crowd have full access to any profiles they want.

These are pirated profiles. No way he has bought profiles for $41,000!

Now the question of whether the seller actually does destroy their own copy or not,

Or whether if he actually has purchased them in the first place.

• If he’s selling it more than once he’s making copies and not destroying his copy. He’s distributing copies.
    I can’t imagine this is legal if there is any kind of user agreement. Especially with paid profiles

But I’m also not a lawyer. :)

I agree; he'd be legally allowed to sell no more than a single copy, if he did buy the original profiles. It's akin to passing on a property deed. And yes, it does seem unlikely that he bought 31,000 profiles. No doubt a lot of hard work and expertise went into creating them.

• I don't know if it is illegal, but it for sure is unethical. Now I doubt he purchased them in the first place, but even if he did, he offers 6 times this "bundle"and has sold it 9 times.
    Who buys 6 times the same profiles? That alone should be an indication of what is going on. And for those 9 buyers, you are part of this too.

Making good profiles is hard work and should be rewarded!!!! Buy. don't steal them....

• Original deleted due to misinterpretation of the offer.

I consider the sale of copies of mental and physical work (profiling) to be morally reprehensible.

I have no juridical background, but I could imagine that a lawsuit of this magnitude would be possible.

Edited once, last by Sharry ().