“Universal” lead boost.

• I like the concept but I don't understand what it would be for?

Yes i often use more than one lead sound in a song. And none of my lead sounds are the same as my rhythm sounds. So i cant just use my rhythm sounds and enable a locked boost on them.

Imagine this scenario: I play in 4 different bands and as a substitute in many others. Different bands require different volume difference between rhythm sounds and lead sounds. (And sometimes different acustics of the venue too) In some bands you only need a little bit, in others you need quite a bit more. So my solution to this is being able to control the volume of ALL lead sounds PERMANENTLY with the turn of one knob. This approach (that i’ve used for over twenty years) has gotten me the reputation of being the guy who is ALLWAYS spot on with my levels. I never fiddle with volume pedals and screw the first bars of the solo up. Once i’ve adjusted the boost knob on the hardware boost pedal i have set all the levels for my lead sounds because they all have the boost pedal patched in on the effect loop. This reputation for perfect levels and no fiddling with gear has made me first choice as stand in in many bands. And as a consequence of that i never play less than 50 gigs a year.

And if the band gets louder during the gig, but i don’t want to compete in the “all against all volume race” i just raise the volume of my lead sounds a bit (again with only one nudge of the knob) and my leads will sit fine and my rhythm sounds stay where they are.

Or imagine that the sound guy asks you to have the solos louder. One knob adjustment and all my lead sounds have the right levels for all of that gig. No reprogramming and saving of multiple sounds needed.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Edited once, last by Kim_Olesen ().

• Yeah I get the point in that given the example. sounds like you already have a tried and tested solution. I’d stick with that and let the kemper handle your amp sounds.

Yeah i can live with my neat little hardware workaround. I just wish there was a built in way to do it so i could use the loop for something else.

• Won't a locked slot change on/off state when it receives a midi CC# to do so? (Sending that CC# with the PC#?)

it might. There is no way though to tell a device that a number of pc that should also send a cc internally in the kemper, or in any pedalboard that i know.

But the suggestion to link certain pc (those that chose leadsounds) to a cc that turns a locked boost on or off could work if i get a midi thing with the capacity to do this built.

That would be the third costum built midi hack thing i have for the kemper in order to make it work like i want it to.

• I don't know is this would help but, in performance mode you can set each preset in a bank to send different midi messages. I think. But, I also think it might just be one message per preset switch.

• it might. There is no way though to tell a device that a number of pc that should also send a cc internally in the kemper, or in any pedalboard that i know.
    But the suggestion to link certain pc (those that chose leadsounds) to a cc that turns a locked boost on or off could work if i get a midi thing with the capacity to do this built.

That would be the third costum built midi hack thing i have for the kemper in order to make it work like i want it to.

I just checked with my Rocktron All Access. It does in fact work as I expected :) I can lock a slot on the Kemper, and this slot is turned on/off as per what state the IA switches is set for on Rocktron's presets. My old Digitech can also send such messages with the PC#, however I must program it to do so. The Rocktron does it whether I want it to or not. I'm sure most controllers are able to do this. Anyway, global boost works fine here 8) You obviously have to spend an efx slot on it though...

• I realize that you use a different approach, but, for anyone else who is reading this thread:

have always used the volume knob on my guitar. Turning it up adds both volume and gain.

That works when you want to increase your gain at the same time as your volume AND you like the sound of a guitar with the volume backed off (which I don't). :)

I make all my volume adjustments downstream using different profiles, stomps and morphing.

• I think I get it now. Which is weird cuz I just woke up lol

The way you have it now, during sound check, if you turn your boost knob up, all of your leads are boosted for the whole set?

Exactly. Or to be more precise. Untill the next time i touch the knob.

• I just checked with my Rocktron All Access. It does in fact work as I expected :) I can lock a slot on the Kemper, and this slot is turned on/off as per what state the IA switches is set for on Rocktron's presets. My old Digitech can also send such messages with the PC#, however I must program it to do so. The Rocktron does it whether I want it to or not. I'm sure most controllers are able to do this. Anyway, global boost works fine here 8) You obviously have to spend an efx slot on it though...

thanks Trazan. Can i make you check if you need to have the boost stomp (in it’s off state ofcourse) patched in on your rhythm sounds too. The reason i ask this is because i actually do use all post amp 4 effect slots on some of my rhythm sounds.

• thanks Trazan. Can i make you check if you need to have the boost stomp (in it’s off state ofcourse) patched in on your rhythm sounds too. The reason i ask this is because i actually do use all post amp 4 effect slots on some of my rhythm sounds.

Yeah, there will only be 3 effect slots left for other fun...until you unlock that slot (you don't need to assign the boost to other rigs, if that's what you mean, but the locked slot will override whatever else may be assigned to that slot in other rigs).

• Yeah, there will only be 3 effect slots left for other fun...until you unlock that slot (you don't need to assign the boost to other rigs, if that's what you mean, but the locked slot will override whatever else may be assigned to that slot in other rigs).

Thanks again for trying this out Trazan :)

• Watching this video have me an idea.

You can use an expression pedal and set it for volume. Put the placement Post Stack and set the range to go from zero to anywhere up to +5
    Save this on all your lead patches.

If my calculations are correct then they should all behave the same. I'll need to try this out to be sure but the idea is there.

• Watching this video have me an idea.

You can use an expression pedal and set it for volume. Put the placement Post Stack and set the range to go from zero to anywhere up to +5
    Save this on all your lead patches.

If my calculations are correct then they should all behave the same. I'll need to try this out to be sure but the idea is there.

That will work because that’s what i do on all my rhythm sounds in situations where i only need to raise them all a bit for one song. So actually what i might be asking for instead is support for two volume pedals instead of only one.

My only problem is that i am already using the vol pedal as a universal rhythm sounds control.

But good catch Awesome_Elvis.

@DonPetersen does this make sense to you? Support for two volume pedals.