Kemper 2 expectations

• 1. Line 6 has their next platform out and appears to be a runaway success.
    2. Fractal has their next move in place.
    3. Software such as S-Gear, Mercuriall Spark etc. has never been better.

Additionally, the architecture, GUI and lack of editor makes it dated, so IMHO Kemper needs to move. I hope they:

1. Keep their core sound advantage.
    2. Improve routing flexibility, add multiple paths.
    3. Add USB audio.
    4. Add more IO, like Helix and Axe-Fx III to integrate with what we all have.
    5. Improve effects, in particular reverbs.
    6. Improve their on-the-box GUI
    7. Add an editor.

I happen to know a guy that runs a music store and there Helix Floor outsells Helix Rack 10:1, I think the adding a floorboard should be #1.

IMHO, YMMV.

• There is an easy solution already for this. Just reamp the signal twice in the studio.

The entire point is to improve efficiency. I mean, you could just as well record the same part twice and sometimes I do, but when trying to figure out which combinations play well together, re-amping is painfully slow compared to using two amps / cabs at once.

I guess people used to using and budgeting for 2 amps live, can probably afford 2 Kempers in the same way they had 2 tube amps.

I think it's already been established that I wasn't referring to live use in my case. Further, there are a lot of people who don't have multiple amps, don't play live nor have the cash to buy two Kemper's that would get a lot of use out of dual profiles. It's been requested multiple times.

• What is great about the dual amp? You can make dual profile today. Tone Junky sell this.

The difference is, you're stuck with whatever amps Tone Junky combines into a single profile, whereas the ability to use two profiles at once allows users to combine any two profiles of their choosing from their library.

What tone do you prefer - Fractal/Helix dual amp? Or Kemper single amp?

There's no binary answer. It's entirely dependent on the profile / preset.

• The entire point is to improve efficiency. I mean, you could just as well record the same part twice and sometimes I do, but when trying to figure out which combinations play well together, re-amping is painfully slow compared to using two amps / cabs at once.

I think it's already been established that I wasn't referring to live use in my case. Further, there are a lot of people who don't have multiple amps, don't play live nor have the cash to buy two Kemper's that would get a lot of use out of dual profiles. It's been requested multiple times.

By the way, I am not trying to bait you. I just think that Kemper are quite a conservative company and there never seemed enough demand for this kind of feature. As Vinny pointed out, you can already make a dual amp profile.

The main problem with a Kemper 2 is that everyone looks at features they want individually and there is very little consensus, even if Kemper intended to update. I could easily spec out what I would like to make a few improvements to my own needs, but would unlikely be what you prefer.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• @ColdFrixion

You should definitly upgrade upgrade your reverb-/and delay plug ins.This is all I can say.Specially if you record also other stuff than guitar (and specially vocals)..

Definitely upgrade? Why would I upgrade when I already own plugins like LiquidSonics Seventh Heaven (which is based on the Bricasti M7) and Valhalla DSP's line? Do you own an Axe FX II? I'd put its reverbs above the Strymon stuff.

• The main problem with a Kemper 2 is that everyone looks at features they want individually and there is very little consensus, even if Kemper intended to update. I could easily spec out what I would like to make a few improvements to my own needs, but would unlikely be what you prefer.

That's why you give people options. You're never gonna please everyone but, with options, you can cater to a much larger audience. Perhaps some people will never use dual amp profiles, but some others will. I know I would. And those features I won't need I simple don't use. No biggie.

I still don't understand some of you guy's mentality. You DON'T have to buy a Kemper 2 if your current one does everything you need it to do. It'll still work just as good as the first day you bought it. Plus, it's not like I can say what I would like to see in the Kemper 2 and CK just comes out with one the next day, lol.

Come on guys :-).

• I don’t think most of us are looking for Kemper 2.0 as it has already accomplished what they set out to do.
    I would think CK would look to do something new and challenging. Who knows, maybe he will do something with e-drums or a new guitar synth. Only he knows what is next, but I would be willing to bet it’s not another Kemper amp.
    Most of us would be happy with a spring reverb and editor as a final update.

• By the way, I am not trying to bait you. I just think that Kemper are quite a conservative company and there never seemed enough demand for this kind of feature. As Vinny pointed out, you can already make a dual amp profile.

That's not efficient or convenient nor was that what I was referring to when using the term 'dual profiles'. I was referencing the ability to mix and match any two stored profiles, which is infinitely more versatile, efficient and convenient than setting up two separate physical rigs.

The main problem with a Kemper 2 is that everyone looks at features they want individually and there is very little consensus, even if Kemper intended to update. I could easily spec out what I would like to make a few improvements to my own needs, but would unlikely be what you prefer.

This applies to products in general, and if we followed your logic to its conclusion, no company would ever release new versions of anything if it were really an issue.

• I don’t think most of us are looking for Kemper 2.0 as it has already accomplished what they set out to do.
    I would think CK would look to do something new and challenging. Who knows, maybe he will do something with e-drums or a new guitar synth. Only he knows what is next, but I would be willing to bet it’s not another Kemper amp.

I doubt we'll see a new Kemper any time soon.

• The only thing that "bothers" me is the endless list of FX you need to scroll trhough until you reach the one you want , but to be honest once my rigs were setup , didn't need those anymore :)

You can delete those presets bro, if didn't know that already :P but I still would like to see some kind of way to skip around easier. The only thing I've got for this is to make a preset labeled A Gate or B Eq in the presets, select it and then use the type knob to skip towards the bottom. ;) but since you're set up it's all good in the proverbial hood. Lol

I don’t think most of us are looking for Kemper 2.0 as it has already accomplished what they set out to do.

Yes please, and a shimmery particle transmisser reverb for me ;)

• These threads are annoying and unproductive.

Get the product that does what you want and enjoy what you have. Play kemper for its tones in the studio, push an amp loud when you need, get an ax for effects, or use your daw and VSTs, but stop bitching about the kemper not being what you envisage the product to be.

Chances are if it were, it still wouldn’t be for someone else and the next thread would start: What to expect from KPA3

Enough already. This is just all BS.

• These threads are annoying and unproductive.

I don't really fall into the category of people who are dissatisfied with the KPA as it is. If Kemper never released a new version, that would suit me just fine. I think most of the people in this thread are just tossing ideas around. I guess my question is why someone would read a thread they find annoying and unproductive?

• I don't really fall into the category of people who are dissatisfied with the KPA as it is. If Kemper never released a new version, that would suit me just fine. I think most of the people in this thread are just tossing ideas around. I guess my question is why someone would read a thread they find annoying and unproductive?

Totally agree with you, ColdFrixion.

I don't think anyone here is complaining. We're simply stating our wishes for the next Kemper iteration. I don't think there's any harm in that. But if you find it unproductive, and/or you don't want to participate then feel free not to. I don't mean to sound rude, but we should be able to have this discussion.

• Every time one thread reaches the end of its natural life another starts up whether it’s what’s coming at NAMM or the next kemper.

It just gets boring. And you're right I should just not read this crap.

• I expect to be flamed to a barbecued crisp for this post. From both sides of this coin.

I will start by saying I love the sound I get with my Kemper. I have owned it since June 2015. There have been significant improvements via firmware updates in the effects section. And new profiling types are great.

So those of you who want to see a Kemper V2, the above is the material you can use to flame me.

Now for those of you who think that anyone who is critical of the current Kemper should be tarred and feathered, here is some more flame material. All of these are areas where the Kemper needs improvement IMHO.

I want to make it clear that I believe Kemper's profiling gets as close as possible to the original tube amp sound and feel. So when I indicate below that I want to have the ability to connect other digital devices to my Kemper, it is mainly for effects, not amp modeling or simulations.

1. I want two dedicated profile paths for recording purposes. Two paths would not just give me stereo amps, but also stereo effect chains. With two profile paths you could also have the same profile on both paths but with different cabs. By doubling the DSP, the Kemper would be able to have lots of different possible configurations.

2. The KPA is a digital device. So why is its digital implementation a huge limitation? For example, the limit of 44.1 kHz sample rate at the S/PDIF input/output is ridiculous. This limitation makes reamping with the Kemper a pain if you are running your DAW at a different sample rate. Yes, you can use analog to re-amp. But why is there this limitation in 2018?

Another limitation of the Kemper is that it cannot be a slave to an external clock. If you connect the S/PDIF jack to another digital device, the Kemper must be the master. I want a word clock input/output and the ability to slave to my Apollo 8 interface. This would make digital clock configuration much simpler.

Speaking of digital in/out, why is there a single stereo digital input/output? I need more!

For recording there should be at least 2 stereo digital inputs/outputs. I want to be able to digitally connect to my audio interface and also to at least one outboard digital effects unit. A S/PDIF coaxial port and an optical port configurable as ADAT or S/PDIF would be ideal. See below for how I'd use the ADAT port.

Flexibility with the digital input/output routing is really important.

I want to be able to connect my UA Apollo via S/PDIF before the input of the Kemper. I want this capability so that I can connect my Roland VG-99 to create alternate tunings in front of my Kemper without having to use an analog connection, and the subsequent redundant D/A and A/D conversion steps.

I also want to connect my guitar through my Apollo 8's Hi Z input and use one of the UA Unison effects like the Pro Co Rat (RAW), EHX Big Muff (Bermuda Triangle), the Ibanez TS808 Tube Screamer (TS), or the Korg SDD-3000 in front of the Kemper without redundant D/A and A/D conversion.

If you had this routing capability, you would also be able to send a dry signal on the left channel of the S/PDIF with a wet signal on the right channel. Or you could have two effects in parallel in front of the Kemper. A stereo to mono mix at this point would be nice. However with two paths, regardless of whether you were using one or two profiles, you could proceed into the Kemper in stereo.

I'd like to see digital in/out for an external effects loop. This would allow me to use other digital devices' effects with my Kemper.

For example, I want to use my realtime UAD plugins as effects with my Kemper. No matter how well the Kemper team does with its internal effects, they cannot match the range of awesome UAD effect emulations. I own a ton of classic guitar-oriented UAD effect emulations such as Roland's Space Echo, EMT 140 and 250 reverbs, Lexicon's 224 reverb, Eventide's H910 Harmonizer, the Cooper Time Cube delay, the Ampex ATR-102 mastering tape recorder, and many others. Not to mention compressors, limiters, EQs and even channel strips from UA, Elysia, Pultec, Teletronix, Neve, API, Manley, etc.

Sure I can use the analog send and return jacks on the Kemper to connect to my Apollo. That is the only way to do this with the current model. But why can't I connect the two devices digitally? Why must I live with an extra A/D and D/A conversion step on both ends?

BTW, this capability is also germane to anyone with a Helix, a Fractal FX, or any other digital device. And if you own two other digital devices that you want to connect to the Kemper, the word clock / slave capability will make your life a heck of a lot easier.

As I said above, I also want an ADAT input/output port on my Kemper. Why? ADAT input/output would give me multiple channels of digital input/output with my Kemper. It would let me add UAD effects in front of the Kemper as well as in the effects loop, given sufficient routing flexibility.

3. I want more effects slots. The limit of four is really restrictive. I want at least eight slots. Why eight? I want to be able to add four UAD plugins, one per slot, connected to Apollo via ADAT. With 8 slots, I could add my analog pedal(s) in other slot(s) and still retain some slots for internal Kemper effects. Kemper could leave front access to only the current four slots, implementing a bank system for additional slots. Then a switch (or MIDI) could change the current bank.

I know that I won't get most (if not all) of these features even if there is a KPA V2 released. I also am aware that many other members here think that many of these features don't fit their needs. But this is my list of desired features.And I hope Kemper is listening.

• Yes, yes, yes, yes! Yes to all of these!!

I would LOVE to have those features in the Kemper. Hell yeah!