Kemper 2 expectations

• Why do we need to clutter the Kemper and turn in into audio interface, multi-effect processor, floor board, millions of routing possibilities. That's what computers with audio interface are for.

Not to side track the discussion, but since the character and flavor of an effect is based on the algorithm that's used to create it, you may or may not be able to reproduce that with a plugin, that is unless someone's created a really good emulation of it, and even then that's no guarantee.

• I agree 100%. I have an old IBM PS/1 with a 386 SX20, it's still a great computer, i don't see what's better on today's computers. ;)

I don't think there is any dispute that a Kemper 2 would be "better" than a Kemper original (maybe). A "better" Kemper 2 doesn't make the Kemper original any worse than it was before the Kemper 2 is released. I think you know exactly what I'm getting at. A new Kemper doesn't render the Kemper original obsolete or functionally any different than it currently is just because a new one comes out.

I'm just so glad Kemper doesn't do what so many other manufacturers do nowadays and try and release new hardware every year/season... trying to capitalize off of those who just have to have the latest and greatest like it is a fashion statement or something. Nobody else really cares one bit if I have the latest and greatest, so I'm not gonna worry about upgrading something that I love and works awesome as is just to impress somebody I don't know. =)

The new Subaru Outbacks are sweet! But I don't need a 2018 model (just like I didn't need a 2017 model) when my 2016 model is awesome as is!

• How so? Without an explanation I have no idea what you mean.

Hi Jose, guitar amplifiers in the past have not jumped leaps and bounds technically like these new units we are now using… For instance, I have a Bogner 100B that I and many others believe, has superior tone to anything Bogner has put out since… I will never sell that amplifier.
    The Mesa boogie markIIC+ (1983/84) is an amplifier that many people consider to be the holy grail of heavy tones… Nothing they have made since sounds the same…
    However, tast forward to now, these new units, fractal, helix, KPA, are all jumping ahead with technology so very quickly… The proof is in what’s happening with fractal right now, Look at all the AXE FXII that are for sale because the new one has come out… People are losing lots of money… Guitar players will pay huge amounts for that extra 5% in TONE…
    It’s fact, we are a strange bunch!! :D

• The thing is, I believe Kemper has been a success by not following the pack. Their approach has been different from the rest of the set amp modellers and their business model is also unique. There has been so much life in the one product and for me the focus has been primarily on amp tone.
    There are plenty of boxes out there that are based on effects with all the bells and whistles, if that is what someone wants. I love playing with effects as much as the next guy, but when it comes to performance it is the same as when I used as real amp in that I want tone first.

Do you really think that Kemper's approach is different because CK didn't do ANY research on what others were doing before him? I never said he should copy exactly what others are doing. What I said was that he should pay attention to what they're doing right, and even to what they're doing wrong. That way he can improve on their success/failures. It's what any smart person would do!

• Most of my presets aren't this extreme, and a lot of engineers prefer to add effects in post because there's no flexibility once they're baked into the recording, however I really like the flavor of the Axe and KPA effects, thus an obvious solution is simply to record the DI for reamping later if need be.

A "lot of angineers";You mean you know some engineesr who "prefer" to mix a guitar drowned in effects;

8|

• Hi Jose, guitar amplifiers in the past have not jumped leaps and bounds technically like these new units we are now using… For instance, I have a Bogner 100B that I and many others believe, has superior tone to anything Bogner has put out since… I will never sell that amplifier.The Mesa boogie markIIC+ (1983/84) is an amplifier that many people consider to be the holy grail of heavy tones… Nothing they have made since sounds the same…
    However, tast forward to now, these new units, fractal, helix, KPA, are all jumping ahead with technology so very quickly… The proof is in what’s happening with fractal right now, Look at all the AXE FXII that are for sale because the new one has come out… People are losing lots of money… Guitar players will pay huge amounts for that extra 5% in TONE…
    It’s fact, we are a strange bunch!! :D

You lose money the day you buy any of these products, be it an amplifier or a guitar modeled. Granted, you probably lose more money on a modeler than you do on an amplifier. But is this really a reason to stop innovating (especially since you've brought up how fast technology evolves with these digital units)?

In fact, digital units have a better chance to prolong their lifespan through firmware updates as long as the hardware is made to last. But that's the catch, isn't it? Most of these companies want you to buy the new hardware. Kemper is not like that, but that doesn't mean that it shouldn't eventually come out with a new, and up to date, hardware. You gotta admit that the Kemper is getting left behind by the competition when it comes to hardware though. Kemper will eventually be forced to come out with a new hardware if they want to remain in the market, and I feel that that time is approaching soon (maybe within a year or two max).

That said, if the new hardware doesn't provide any benefits to you, then what keeps you from using the old one? As someone said above, new car models come out every year. Do they make you feel like selling your car? As long as your car does what you want it to do, you're happy to keep it, right? Well, there you go :-).

• Really what I would like to see is a Kemper effects profiler. That would be the ultimate compliment to the Kemper amp.

Just imagine if you could profile any effect unit...

• Classical example of how a person does not want to understand the other person..anyway..

Then why not try explaining yourself instead of getting defensive and throwing out a snarky comment? I was saying that a lot of engineers like to add effects in post, which means to add them later; not during recording but at the mixing stage. What does "you know some engineers who prefer to mix a guitar drowned in effects" have to do with anything? I assumed you thought I was implying that adding effects "in post" means to add them during recording rather than later, which is why I asked if you know what adding effects in post meant. If that's not what you were thinking when you made that comment then by all means feel free to explain yourself because I'm not a mind reader.

• . What does "you know some engineers who prefer to mix a guitar drowned in effects" have to do with anything?

My understanding is that you said " a lot of engineers prefer to add effects in post" and he's asking a fair question because when you say a lot, you're somehow leaving it open that some other engineers prefer to record a guitar drowned in effects which is far from common practice, so he's asking if you know of any engineer who prefer to record the wet signal.

To segway back on topic, Kemper addresses this issue beatifically by allowing flexibility of sending the stack signal separately while sending the reverb and delay to a different output etc with other real world routing options to insure that those who really like their wet signal have the additional flexibility as a fail safe in case they later change their mind or the engineer declares that recording the wet dynamic processing has rendered the tracks useless for further editing. And if that's not enough Kemper also provides the option of the DI track.for later re-amping.

So yes Kemper has probably most if not all the features required by professionals that a Kemper 2 seems like some sort of fantasy of a device that includes the capability of a Powerful multi processor computer, audio interface, a colossal suite of effects, basically turning the Kemper into a Helix, In other words turning a very successfully unique (uniquely successful) devices into something completely different.

• My understanding is that you said " a lot of engineers prefer to add effects in post" and he's asking a fair question because when you say a lot, you're somehow leaving it open that some other engineers prefer to record a guitar drowned in effects which is far from common practice, so he's asking if you know of any engineer who prefer to record the wet signal.

I simply said it's common practice for a lot of engineers to add effects in post. I never said anything about how many effects engineers typically use or whether they slather guitars in them as a matter of course. My comment was related to the answer I gave in a previous post in response to Nikos' question (post #91) where he asked if the effects in the preset I mentioned in post #90 were recorded in real-time or added later in the mix. The whole point was... yes, while I can and do record effects in real-time at times, a lot of engineers tend to prefer to add them in post, regardless whether they're using one effect or twenty. It's a simple point that was taken out of context and blown out of proportion.

To segway back on topic, Kemper addresses this issue beatifically by allowing flexibility of sending the stack signal separately while sending the reverb and delay to a different output etc with other real world routing options to insure that those who really like their wet signal have the additional flexibility as a fail safe in case they later change their mind or the engineer declares that recording the wet dynamic processing has rendered the tracks useless for further editing. And if that's not enough Kemper also provides the option of the DI track.for later re-amping.

That's true, though practically any of the top tier units can be re-amped. The difference is the KPA has a hard limit of four simultaneous effects post-amp, which seems a bit scant compared to other units today. I mean, that doesn't bother me personally because I use the KPA in conjunction with the Axe FX, but for potential buyers who are effects oriented, it stands to reason they may spend a bit more time mulling over the latest offerings from the competition.

• • please don’t call it “kemper 2” .. kpa2020

Better call it Kemper 2025 ! ;(
    I share the opinion, that a new Kemper does not make the K1 worse.
    I can imagine that I would change, but not for need - just for fun. (Even now I could survive without a KPA)

The better is the enemy of the good :rolleyes:

• Try running 2 kempers at ONCE if you want a new experience (and will give you some new tone )
    STEREO FRFR X2 needed OUT OF THIS WORLD,(red arrows show both kempers)
    You can already have kemper 2.0! :rolleyes::love:
    i just found out that George lynch makes a THREE way switch (to run 3 amps)
    maybe soon ill try 3 kempers 8o
    [Blocked Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/t7bc9qmlro4n0wt/2%20kempers.JPG?dl=1]

plus you need one of these :P;):thumbup:
    [Blocked Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw5yes6b7f88bi7/kemper_002.png?dl=1]

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• practically any of the top tier units can be re-amped. .

How often is Re-amping used. I can see how it can be useful for those who record a wet signal or didn't notice that their guitar was out of tune maybe but you don't need a digital device for this, for anyone serious about this they can use a simple signal splitter to send send the direct signal

The difference is the KPA has a hard limit of four simultaneous effects post-amp, which seems a bit scant compared to other units today. I mean, that doesn't bother me personally because I use the KPA in conjunction with the Axe FX, but for potential buyers who are effects oriented, it stands to reason they may spend a bit more time mulling over the latest offerings from the competition.

I wasn't expecting any effects when I looked at the Kemper , profiling and playing profiles was enough for me as it's clearly enough for you based on your extreme setup.

I was pleasantly surprised at how amazingly musical many of the Kemper effects were for those who use them when compared with over the top effects found in the usual tired old multi effects platform flooding the current market.

• The funny thing is that a lot of the people saying that they don't want a Kemper 2 will probably be the first to buy it. I can almost bet on it, lol.

Yes, which is why I don't want one :). I would almost certainly have to buy one...GAS!!

Seriously, people who are pushing for a K2 don't seem to understand those who don't want one.

Simple why I don;t want one:

1) my current one will devalue so if and when I change it it goes down in price...ask anyone with an axe ii, BUT whilst this is a factor this is not the main reason...

2) I want Kemper to research and invest in the things I want which seem to be core to their approach so far. Yes I know you can't please everyone, but I do not want dual amps for example. I just want the best possible sound. Note quite a few requests I see I agree with, e.g. editor but this is not related to K2 and reinforces my point. I'd prefer Kemper to work on a great editor with the K1 than a K2 with an editor.

Yes a K2 will have to come at some point but I hope its when the hardware truly has reached its limits and better sound can be obtained from a new box.

If that was the argument for a K2, I would support it but some far its about stereo running, dual profiles and routing options - so not for me and I suspect a fair amount of people. At the moment I'm happy with the software updates as the box seems to be sufficient so far.

We all want the product to advance, just in different ways..

Right, definitely going to shut up now ( I know I said that 2 posts ago)...