Kemper 2 expectations

• I had those early UAD plugs, and sure the V2 sound better—or actually more “accurate” in subtle response-related ways—but they certainly don’t negate all the great recordings made using V1. And what sounds great about the Kemper now—not in a/b tests but in real world usage, in context on a recording or through the PA—those sounds won’t somehow be negated just because a new unit is introduced.

Agree 100% i was just kidding a bit with marketing...how someone has to market a V2 of something that was perfect in V1 :)

• Man, I'm playing stadiums with my Kemper. From rehearsal to performance to recording, it's literally at the center of my professional life. So much for your "consumer product"... if you'd be the least bit involved in the professional touring circuit, you'd see how popular it is among us. My colleagues have all sorts of gear and our common goal is just to kill the next gig with the least hassle possible, period. I just can't understand where some of those complaints are even coming from, it's so disconnected from actual musician things. If you are one and your goal is making music, drop the "THD, DSPs and generic codecs" because I assure you your focus is at the wrong place!

Well said Jed, well said! :thumbup:

• Man, I'm playing stadiums with my Kemper. From rehearsal to performance to recording, it's literally at the center of my professional life. So much for your "consumer product"... if you'd be the least bit involved in the professional touring circuit, you'd see how popular it is among us. My colleagues have all sorts of gear and our common goal is just to kill the next gig with the least hassle possible, period. I just can't understand where some of those complaints are even coming from, it's so disconnected from actual musician things. If you are one and your goal is making music, drop the "THD, DSPs and generic codecs" because I assure you your focus is at the wrong place!

I've had the pleasure of working with a few bands Biffy Clyro to name one who have used them in the past but no longer do because they didn't like it and switched to using iso boxes loaded and mic'd.
    At this level in my experience convinienece isn't always the first choice.
    I'd say 90% percent of the bands ive worked with and respect use the real deal and I've seen plenty trial it and switch back to amps.

You're not the first person to use consumer products on stage though. I remember seeing Steven Carpenter use a laptop with some plugin running to the desk...he uses axe fx now.

Edited once, last by monotone ().

• you can buy an MRI machine,
    that doesn't exactly make it a consumer product

I'm sure some people "switch back", like with anything,
    but at the top levels of touring I'm seeing more and more guitarists switching to Kempers and Fractals.
    Especially for certain types of pop/rock big shows, the ability to have one guy's computer backstage locking all of the lights and video and guitar amp scene changes together is almost a requirement.

• Do you understand my complaints or are you just making sweeping generalizations? I would be happy to discuss and have you prove me wrong.

I don't know what your specific complaints are and I won't look through the 17 pages to find out but it probably has to do with something I see all the time on this forum. I don't think these complaints are necessarily wrong, just that in the grand scheme of things, they are probably irrelevant. There are so much other more important things to focus on and have together as a musician. But don't take my word for it, if this device is holding you back from becoming the musician you want to be, there are plenty of other very capable ones you can use so I'd advise you to sell this "consumer product" and move on asap instead of hoping for a future update to accommodate you; much faster to get to your goal that way.

• you can buy an MRI machine,
    that doesn't exactly make it a consumer product

I'm sure some people "switch back", like with anything,
    but at the top levels of touring I'm seeing more and more guitarists switching to Kempers and Fractals.
    Especially for certain types of pop/rock big shows, the ability to have one guy's computer backstage locking all of the lights and video and guitar amp scene changes together is almost a requirement.

I never really thought of comparing medical equipment and guitar amps, but you are right. The number of top musicians using direct to PA is on the increase and engineers love it generally for the separation.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• What gets me is that for the price of one really good set of KPA profiles, it delivers on the price tag of that amp alone, in spades :thumbup:

Multiply that by the amount of profiles (amps), you have access to, or profiles (amps), you've purchased - that you'd never-ever play otherwise, and it's tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of amps, right!!! I mean these pro level KPA profilers just kill it with their offerings, as do many amateur KPA profilers. What an age we live in, it's pretty sweet man! ;)

Have you tried to buy a '68 Plexi lately? I did, pfft, no thanks. Give me my Kemper any day of the week, less hassle and worrying about whether it's going to breaking down, tubes dying, transformers failing etc. Sure, ok, it's not 100% tube amp glory, but it's so very close. I'm happy and thankful for allowing me to pocket the extra 8k in savings

Try and have fun, play music, enjoy life, drink beer (ASH :D ), shred your heart out, get the chicks (even the drummer and bassist...LOL). Be happy with what you have and what you can accomplish with this amazing piece of kit, ATM!

Every update thus far from team Kemper has been nothing short of awesome, AFAICT!

Just my 2¢

• This thread is ripe for another post.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Listen at about 0.24 to the sound of the guitar. I think it's great. What I'd love to see in albums I listen to. Apologies for squashing it like a bug, I have much to learn about mastering.

• @nightlight AJ i nearly broke both my legs moshing to that, RAW as ..and i love the old skool black metal vocals (well they are for me)
    Plus i love the fact that AJ is black which means he plays true black metal :D

have not heard that in other profiles man, i like the variety in the stuff you do man.
    thats the truth, as i have not had a beer since this morning :D
    (jokes i mean it)

Ash

Have a beer and don't sneer. -CJ. Two non powered Kempers -Two mission stereo FRFR Cabs - Ditto X4 -TC electronic Mimiq.

• I've had the pleasure of working with a few bands Biffy Clyro to name one who have used them in the past but no longer do because they didn't like it and switched to using iso boxes loaded and mic'd.At this level in my experience convinienece isn't always the first choice.
    I'd say 90% percent of the bands ive worked with and respect use the real deal and I've seen plenty trial it and switch back to amps.

You're not the first person to use consumer products on stage though. I remember seeing Steven Carpenter use a laptop with some plugin running to the desk...he uses axe fx now.

So when I buy an isocab and a SM57 and a, let's say, Mesa Triple Rectifier, instandly I'm a professional?
    The Axe FX isn't a consumer product?

Please, can you tell me the difference between a consumer product and a "professional" product, in this line of gear?