Kemper 2 expectations

• People have such a difficult time appreciating the fact that in professional use, for many of us the Kemper has delivered as advertised since day one. It’s not about money or being a fanboy, it’s about using the device successfully, not thinking about it much, enjoying when ancillary (to profiling) features are added or improved, and hoping that it continues to be supported, since it works.

First couple of years there were software glitches, for instance one that imparted scratchy noises during some rig transitions, but even then, when the rig was set, the tone was astonishing.

Was the Kemper ever intended as a device meant to answer every single desire for hypothetical experimentation? It seems many people want a profiling amp that’s more like a modeler—if that’s even possible. I can appreciate that. But I’m not convinced that that’s a device CK would be interested in programming. In fact, in some ways that’s a new operating system that would have to be built from the ground up.

If CK was so inclined, and a Kemper 2 arrived, with zero tone compromise and similar front panel stack/stomp access, but one that also featured macro fine-tuning parameters similar to an Axe III, sure I could see myself buying that.

But the whole point of the Kemper is that its magic algorithm takes the programming out of the users’ hands. Based on the other devices that I’ve owned and/or auditioned, if in fact the technical capabilities really are built-in, in general humans with a plethora of options aren’t creating tones that satisfy my sensibilities.

Regarding the floorboard version, I hope for everyone that truly wants one that ultimately they get one. For many of us, the liberation of no more $3000 pedalboard on the floor was an incredible development. I like things that I need to step on night after night to be as cheap and replaceable as possible. And I hate bending the knee in order to make on the fly adjustments.

But anyway, a super computer at my fingertips—to my mind that would be less not more amp-like. Yes, incorporating various amps in to my performances is part of the beautiful digital renaissance, but I still want a pure (as possible), simple and elegant approach to the electric guitar. The presence of endless parameters invites the temptation to resolve issues meant to be addressed in the profiling process, or even with hands and ears, instead with inevitably ever more knob twists.

Yeah, I’d go along. But would that make me any happier?

I’m not convinced.

• Personally I don't believe any hype and don't make my decisions based on what other say, although i listen to opinions and try out gear sometimes because of all the talk.., I still own the AXE 2, Kemper, and BOSS GT 1000 (hasn't arrived yet), owned a Helix, Headrush etc.. in my opinion of course the closest to an amp sound i've gotten is with the Kemper. Wish I could get there with the Helix, or Headrush because I loved the touch screen; going to try now with the GT 1000, only because of my needs for something very portable, otherwise it would just use the Kemper, it has everything i need, including all effects I need for live use.

I thought the Headrush was a cool unit. The new Boss is definitely interesting too. I would love to hear your thoughts on it after you put it through it's paces.

• If there was a Kemper 2, I'd like/suggest:

• 2 speaker outputs (so people could run in Stereo). I say people because I don't play in stereo but it makes the point of an external power amp less valid
    • Bluetooth/wireless remote ( rechargeable). I love reducing wires and want to retain the amp head and foot controller set up ( still use a cab) and the main wire I find problematic is the connection between the remote and rack

Neither of these alone would be enough to make me want to buy one but there aren't many hardware changes I'd really like.

Just thought I'd add those in...

• My Brand Loyalty is a direct measure of Kemper's Customer Loyalty. I feel, from direct and observed experience, that Kemper is unique in their support for this product and us as customers.
    Their focus on longevity and continued development rival everyone else without exception.

I don't know how many products people buy in expectation of what it will be in the future. Who buys a car, guitar or lawn mower with what it SHOULD be like in 5 years?
    People SHOULD appreciate the fact that the Kemper is NOT like a smartphone (or Fractal) where you have a new product coming out every 2 years making you feel like
    the old one is not up to snuff.

I buy something based on what it is NOW.
    Either the Kemper serves my needs, or it doesn't.
    If the lack of an Editor was a deal-breaker at the start, i'd move on to another product. Simple as that.

I've had mine since 2013 and it's hand down still the sonic winner. People may think they want a cheaper version, but they already HAVE the "cheaper" version.
    If you bought and kept up with every new Fractal product since 2012, you'd have spent many times the cost of one Kemper. That makes the Kemper very cheap because you don't have to replace it.
    Can you imagine getting your Smartphone and keeping it 6+ years instead of dumping it every 2-3 years? How much money would you have saved?

Where I'd like to see Kemper add-on is an interface within the computer as a VST3 Plugin, so that I can re-amp automatically via USB in my DAW. Or just use the effects. And have it as a visual interface. That would be a really cool modern addition. Or a feature for a future KPA DUO. (which should have wireless guitar ability, ha)

But this product had what I wanted back in 2013. Still has what I want in 2018. The improvements to me were largely user-based profiles. I appreciate the addition of the Rig Manager very much. There's been a ton of new features since then, but I try and keep my workflow simple stupid. More = complex, and more_complex = less_fun.

The KPA is a guitar preamp with effects. That's how I envision it, and that's why I don't get frustrated over what it doesn't have.

Will the Helix still be supported in 5 years? 10 years? Will anyone remember the Fractal AXE FXIII then beyond a museum piece? Kemper will STILL be supporting this Kemper.

• Those are some very reasonable features to request. Totally do-able in my opinion.

• People have such a difficult time appreciating the fact that in professional use, for many of us the Kemper has delivered as advertised since day one.

Sorry but...no...

Actually the KPA is by far the first "professionals choice"..beyond any doubt.

As you can see there is no controversy about any editor or "better FX" of the Kemper between professionals anywhere.

"People having a difficult time appreciating" the KPA as a professional tool are either people who don't need what a musician needs for his daily work or just...competitors who are inept to fulfill the professionals needs and therefore look only on the sales side of things trying just to sell as many units as possible to anyone who loves a good sound but most of all things like shiny scribble strips and graphs about processor power..

Kemper actually does the opposite and this is exactly what a serious musician wants to see.We talked about the "very dedicated" just yesterday..

• Maybe you — or me — has lost something in translation. Just in case, you do realize that you're agreeing with me. I wouldn't go so far as to judge other musicians. There are pros who are looking for different things. But yes, for many, since the beginning, Kemper worked, and whatever doubts producers or live sound men had about our blinking devices were immediately quelled by the tones.

If you cannot get the two units to sound identical this is no fault of the equipment only the operator/user.

And yeah, every component Mr. Dumble uses to get those tones is basically available in a hardware store. But despite the price, many great musicians still ask him to build and or modify their amps. The point in my previous post was that not so many humans are as great at dialing tones from scratch as they purport to be. For me, the Kemper gets closer, and way quicker, to the sound and feel that many of us have grown up on, meaning tweed, blackface, Marshall, Vox, Supro and Dumble tones. If you say the others can get there, I take your word. In my experience it hasn't been nearly as easy. YMMV

• If you cannot get the two units to sound identical this is no fault of the equipment only the operator/user.

or, it's the nature of your critical listening skills.

with respect, some people, and in fact most or almost all people, can't tell the difference between two almost identical shades of red, but professional colour correctors can.

No one could argue with "most people can't tell".

But you cannot accurately state ' NO ONE can tell"

• Maybe you — or me — has lost something in translation. Just in case, you do realize that you're agreeing with me. I wouldn't go so far as to judge other musicians. There are pros who are looking for different things.

Actually we are "over-agreeing"..it is just that I was posting from my smartphone and for some reason the whole emoticon thing went wrong..anyway..so here you go my friend: ;)

And I am not "judging" anyone but just stating the obvious.Like for example an extra laptop on stage for the editor..not something a professional musician "needs".The same is true for stressy recording sessions.

As I said.Till yet I did not see professional musicians argueing about if the KPA needs an editor..but I did see the opposite:Professional musicians being happy to have direct control over the most important parameters at any given time live and in the studio.Just like using a real tube rig.

• Respectfully If one is thinking/commenting without partiality then they are scientifically, potentially with the right operator, absolutely sonically equal.

IF one has the talent to dial the Helix it is equal. I've conducted my own tests scientifia lly and my god.. there are enough blind tests on the web where no discernable difference is heard.

I’ve owned both the Helix and the Kemper for almost 3 years now and I still think that the Kemper has the edge when it comes to amp tones and feel. Believe me I’ve tried various IRs from OwnHammer, 3Sigma, the Allure pack that was offered free to Helix users, a few from Celestion, and the M.Britt IR pack. I’ve also tried tricks shared by Helix users on how to make the factory cabs sound their best. Out of all of these, the IRs that give me the best results are the M.Britt ones. Even then, as good as the Helix sounds, the Kemper still gives me better tones/feel. Again, it’s not a huge difference. But a difference nonetheless. BTW, when I’ve done comparisons of both, I use a Xitone monitor. I’ve used my Neumanns KH310s as well.

Another issue with the Helix is what some people call the “squirrels”, which is basically a digital artifact that can be heard during the decay of a chord. This affects several of the Helix amp models, except for a very minor few. Unfortunately there’s no way to get rid of the squirrels without severely reducing the gain of the amp model, which defeats the purpose of using these for crunch or high gain tones. The good news is that not a lot of people seem to be able to hear the squirrels. But once you hear it, you can’t un-hear it.

As for tests done online, I find them useless because you don’t know exactly how it was conducted. For example, was it done using the same DI takes? Was it using factory profiles/presets, or was it dialed in to taste? Are IRs used? Etc. That said, regardless of how the test was conducted, IMO the best way to compare these devices is to simply try them out yourself. Everyone’s taste is different, plus there’s also the feel aspect which can’t be perceived through a video comparison.

• Who knows, maybe Kemper 1 can allow physical upgrade to the DSP so there can be Dual amps , two profiles at the same time more advanced modeling of Tone stacks and gain knob. This could have been done with Kemper one but the DSP is not really robust in today standards by any means.

For a product selling for close to 2 thousand dollars in the U.S, I don't think it's too much to expect a decent processor that can handle a stomp profile and an amp profile at the same time. There are some really amazing pedals out there.

• @monotone,

I must also respectfully disagree with your assessment. I have yet to hear of any other user that has used both a Kemper and a Helix that has not given the tone award to the Kemper. If you do a bit of a look around the web, you can literally find a hundred such comparisons and do the math yourself.

Certainly, we of the tube amp purist would be the most discerning. Most of us can hear a difference; however, that doesn't mean the Helix is a toy. It is a fine piece of gear IMO. It is simply not equal to a Kemper to most people's ears and fingers.

Thus, I believe that a Kemper floor unit in the same price range as a Helix would do quite well indeed.

For a product selling for close to 2 thousand dollars in the U.S, I don't think it's too much to expect a decent processor that can handle a stomp profile and an amp profile at the same time. There are some really amazing pedals out there.

Hey Dean,

It isn't about the processor for most people. It is about the sound. I don't disagree that being able to profile a stomp would be a really really cool feature; however, I am not certain it is worth an entire product cycle.

In the end, everyone will eventually get a Kemper 2. The sad truth is that the major components inside the beast will eventually become obsolete. Keep in mind, this is likely still quite a few years off (I am guessing 5-7 actually). At that time, you can guarantee a new Kemper guys.

• Dual Profiles

This is something that I remember being in the Line 6 Pod more than 10 years ago. Of course the Pod never sounded as good as the Kemper but the ability to use multiple amps at one time was incredibly useful and frankly made your sound more versatile

• Wireless Remote

My only complaint about the Kemper is the fragile network connection on the back of the unit. My cable is constantly being unplugged mid-gig. Being able to get rid of that problem, and the wire while you're at it, makes everything so much more convenient.

• Tone Stack Editing

One of the cooler features on the Axe Fx is the ability to edit capacitors and resistors in your amps settings. Anything that allows you to fine tune your sound to the smallest details is alright by me.

• Tone Match

Lets face it. A lot of us bought the Kemper to emulate the sound coming from amplifiers we grew up listening to on records. But sometimes that rig on the Kemper doesn't get you close enough. Why not give us a feature that emulates the tone on records we grew up listening to exactly?

• Respectfully If one is thinking/commenting without partiality then they are scientifically, potentially with the right operator, absolutely sonically equal.

IF one has the talent to dial the Helix it is equal. I've conducted my own tests scientifia lly and my god.. there are enough blind tests on the web where no discernable difference is heard.

What makes you think I'm commenting without partiality?

I've owned all three units and none of them sound as good as the Kemper. And I'm confident in saying that I'm fairly adept at programming a good sounding patch.