Kemper 2 expectations

• I agree with the need for speed and flexibility in those situations, but I'm not certain why a SOFTWARE, or computer based, editor is intrinsically superior.I see an awful lot of synth guys on those big dates still editing on the Fantom (or whatever) and not on a laptop.

Yeah, I’m not crazy about a guitar tethered to a laptop. But at least on a couple of my synths, there are way more knobs and way less submenus to navigate, and actually knobs with more productive spins.

Meanwhile I can illustrate a dozen scenarios where a Kemper computer editor, if done well, would increase speed and foster more creative use of deep parameters, especially where creating multiple subtle variations of similar rigs are concerned. That’s me, though. I don’t enjoy all the knob spinning and menu clicking and odd file-saving protocols in the KPA, even though I’m pretty good at all of it, and obviously five or more years in, I’m still here. :)

And yes, for most applications, my work inside the editor would happen on my time, not in the studio or live.

It doesn’t sound like it, but I really do resist turning the KPA in to a computer versus using it more like a (versatile) amp. I just know that personally I’ve often taken the “easy” route instead of going deep, because the prospect of all the knob twists involved can be its own inspiration killer.

YMMV

• Yeah, I’m not crazy about a guitar tethered to a laptop. But at least on a couple of my synths, there are way more knobs and way less submenus to navigate, and actually knobs with more productive spins.
    Meanwhile I can illustrate a dozen scenarios where a Kemper computer editor, if done well, would increase speed and foster more creative use of deep parameters, especially where creating multiple subtle variations of similar rigs are concerned. That’s me, though. I don’t enjoy all the knob spinning and menu clicking and odd file-saving protocols in the KPA, even though I’m pretty good at all of it, and obviously five or more years in, I’m still here. :)

And yes, for most applications, my work inside the editor would happen on my time, not in the studio or live.

It doesn’t sound like it, but I really do resist turning the KPA in to a computer versus using it more like a (versatile) amp. I just know that personally I’ve often taken the “easy” route instead of going deep, because the prospect of all the knob twists involved can be its own inspiration killer.

I agree to some extent, perhaps because I'm old!, but I'd rather have the option of a computer based editor that had all of the parameters visible at once, rather than nested in sub-menus for editing.

But, in truth, I'd probably use that tweaking in the studio rather than live, where a quick grab and less stuff set up is always 'safer'.

One of the appeals to switching to the Kemper for live use, for me, was to get rid of all kinds of other stuff in my rig... just ONE thing basically doing everything. I wouldn't want to add a computer!

"more like an amp and less like a computer' is definitely the appeal for me!

• Maybe we could actually have a standalone device that also acts as a Kemper extension.

So a floorboard with its own processing power and the ability to use profiles, without the profiling ability. Just a grab and go for practice/small gig rig.

But pair that using a CAT cable with the Kemper and you get additional processing power in the form of additional FX slots and the ability to run two profiles simultaneously.

Also, we could also have a bigger memory built into the unit that would permit us to have more than one loop, and also longer recording time.

Additional FX loops too would be great.

• I think we’re agreeing? My imagined editor is where every parameter is accessible at once and the inclination or curiosity to a/b various combinations of stomps and settings and amps, etc etc, would never be squelched by a laborious interface that makes me go, aaah this tone is good enough, instead of experimenting.

Meanwhile, the last many shows all I used was the KPA, a big knob that’s an expression pedal sitting on top to turn the volume down and tune, and a traditional expression pedal on the floor for morphing between clean and grittier, slightly wetter tones.

• I totally agree… This is how Kemper could sell floor units and many who already have Kempers would buy this unit because they have profiling power on their original unit… It would be a win-win situation for Kemper…
    I would buy it for sure… And I would keep my profiler at home…

• But, in truth, I'd probably use that tweaking in the studio rather than live, where a quick grab and less stuff set up is always 'safer'.

One of the appeals to switching to the Kemper for live use, for me, was to get rid of all kinds of other stuff in my rig... just ONE thing basically doing everything. I wouldn't want to add a computer!

That applies to me similarly.
    Tweaking is homework or a matter at rehearsal. :!:
    On stage I just want to play with the certainty that my sound is always the same.

• I totally agree… This is how Kemper could sell floor units and many who already have Kempers would buy this unit because they have profiling power on their original unit… It would be a win-win situation for Kemper…I would buy it for sure… And I would keep my profiler at home…

Wouldn't it be great if the remote doubled up as this...i.e. it has a wider use for controlling the KPA but could be used standalone with an XLR output and the ability to hold/play profiles...I'd buy that.

• Has anyone in any thread suggested that he/she would like to use an editor on stage? I mean I guess there are people who use Live and Logic, but then the midi commands are being sent from those apps.

• Tweaking is homework or a matter at rehearsal. :!:
    On stage I just want to play with the certainty that my sound is always the same.

Extensive tweaking (I mean like editor tweaking)is most of all something you need very much time for..something I never had in any studio nor on any stage of course.

In the end..nice to see that we slowly all agree that an editor is most of all a "Home-Tool" and rather not a daily tool for live or pro-studio where each minute costs money nobody has anymore in a broken buisness..exceptions surely exist and a future editor would something all would like to have.

• Extensive tweaking (I mean like editor tweaking)is most of all something you need very much time for..something I never had in any studio nor on any stage of course.
    In the end..nice to see that we slowly all agree that an editor is most of all a "Home-Tool" and rather not a daily tool for live or pro-studio where each minute costs money nobody has anymore in a broken buisness..exceptions surely exist and a future editor would something all would like to have.

That’s just your opinion. Another expectation could be added for Kemper marketing to show the benefits for an editor in all situations. It is simply outdated in every fashion to think an editor will not be the focal point eventually.

I mean seriously, as I type this I just adjusted my thermostat in my house from this iPad. Did I really need this in a live situation? Could I have just gotten up, went to the hallway and just adjusted it on the screen. Yes I could. But I didn’t. Class dismissed.

• I mean seriously, as I type this I just adjusted my thermostat in my house from this iPad. Did I really need this in a live situation? Could I have just gotten up, went to the hallway and just adjusted it on the screen. Yes I could. But I didn’t. Class dismissed.

Yes, but would you like the heating to be more efficient or be able to control it from a distance? I guess Kemper have limited resources and have so far focussed on features that would contribute to better sound.

For me it would have to be worth more than increased sofa time.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• Yes, but would you like the heating to be more efficient or be able to control it from a distance? I guess Kemper have limited resources and have so far focussed on features that would contribute to better sound.
    For me it would have to be worth more than increased sofa time.

? Perhaps you missed it. I could either adjust manually or simply adjust where I am at. I like having both options. More is better. The more I use my iPad, the less I find the need to do things manually. Progress. Progress always wins.

• .. I type this I just adjusted my thermostat in my house from this iPad. Did I really need this in a live situation? Could I have just gotten up, went to the hallway and just adjusted it on the screen. ....

Now you're talking :D and don't get me started on those cell phones that have navigation apps and video cams, nothing beats using the real paper maps that you fold and unfold in multiple layers, worse comes to worse, you stop and ask for direction. Even though this analogy might not work quite the same or as powerful for tube amps verses digital amps because Digital amps need all the technological advancement humanly possible to be half as viable as real tube amps when it comes to tone,. sadly. All you need to look at is how many tube and analog preamps are still mostly getting used by working musicians and professionals to realize that we're no where near as advanced as in the digital quest for tone.

I'm almost certain that Kemper is working on the evolution of the KPA. The KPA is great but just like anything else can use improvements.

Keep those good ideas coming. blue tooth, android and OS apps would be great so you can add the Kemper to the list of household items you can control with your wireless device of choice.

• Personally, I hate reliance on smart devices to control things. Heating would be an exception to the rule, possibly. But could think of nothing worse than relying on my phone to control the Kemper. So if this is absolutely necessary, please make it a complimentary feature, not a compulsory one with exclusive features.

• Same here.

I've never owned or used a "device" other than to answer a couple of calls many years ago. I was awake for 2 1/2 days as a consequence and couldn't think straight. From that moment on I knew that whilst the "world" was heading that way, I won't be joining it.

This creepy-creepy, make-everything-smart-device-controllable thing only serves to push me out of markets as opposed to the intended effect of pulling me in. I'm so with you, JT!

EDIT:
    Don't want to sound like I'm pontificating; it's just my position, and I really have no choice in the matter. Obviously it's a personal thing; for some it may be the bee's knees for now.

• ? Perhaps you missed it. I could either adjust manually or simply adjust where I am at. I like having both options. More is better. The more I use my iPad, the less I find the need to do things manually. Progress. Progress always wins.

I guess we'll both be dependent on what Kemper define as progress. Whatever they decide, I won't be disappointed.

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• I guess we'll both be dependent on what Kemper define as progress. Whatever they decide, I won't be disappointed.

Customers that are never disappointed are the best! I love customers like that, it takes all the pressure off... ;) The topic is 'Kemper 2 Expectations' which should really not interest you, yes? Technology is a fast market that is ever-changing. 6 months old is outdated. New is just a day away. The biggest ever is next week and when it gets here even bigger has a silhouette in the doorway. Usb... Firewire! Thunderbolt!! Thunderbolt 2! ...No... 3!! I just bought a AD/DA converter and it was outdated before the charge hit my credit card! When I bought an ADA preamp in the 80's, we all were sure that was it! Hey, a processor that has 7 effects in one box?! Unheard of! Well, I might as well put away my Musicians Friend catalog, perfection achieved! Wait a minute... What ...is... THIS?!?

This is the daily life of tech. We are here to have fun, give ideas, and howl at the moon on new things. Anyone camped on Kemper's doorstep rioting? No. So I do not understand these retorts of ultimate loyalty. Did we all threaten to sell?? Run screaming to the exit? No. If someone says 100 times "Editor!" ok, so what. It's all good.

• It's not the "ultimate loyalty" shown by those who could care less about new features, it's more to do with the entitlement shown in some of these posts by those who want the latest and greatest.

Full disclosure: I work in digital and always have to push the boundaries in my work life. Am not averse to new technology at all.

• In the end..nice to see that we slowly all agree that an editor is most of all a "Home-Tool" and rather not a daily tool for live or pro-studio where each minute costs money nobody has anymore in a broken buisness..exceptions surely exist and a future editor would something all would like to have.

@Nikos - I only can confirm that it is a hometool for me. ;)

I have no say in professional use and therefore I can not agree or disagree.

The time I was in studios was still pretty analog ^^