what are you using for multiple mic profiling

• In the near future, I am getting a Townsend Sphere L22 to go with my UA Apollo interfaces. The L22 comes with a plugin with multiple included mic profiles covering small and large diaphragm condensers, dynamics and even a ribbon. UA and Ocean Way Studios also created a number of profiles for the L22 from their amazing mic locker covering even more models.

The mic itself is a large diaphragm condenser with two capsules and a stereo output. The plugin lets you select the profile(s) you want for each capsule in mono or stereo, with any polar pattern.

Check out this video review from Recording Magazine:

https://townsendlabs.com/recor…azine-reviews-sphere-l22/

Here is an example of the versatility of the L22 as a profiling microphone.

You set up your Kemper for creating a profile, using the L22. The L22 connects to two of your Apollo's mic preamps. Remember, the L22 has 2 outputs.

These two channels show in the UAD Console 2 application. Link them and turn on phantom power. Select the Townsend Labs Sphere plugin in the first channel insert. It has two mics (one for each channel) but it outputs a mono track. Select the UAD Rec button to commit the selected mic settings to disk during recording.

So let's say you select an SM-57 mic profile in both of the mic slots in the plugin to start with. Now you start the profiling process on the Kemper and proceed with it just as you would with a real SM-57. You tweak the profile and save it. Let's say you love the results.

So why spend $1500 for a sim of an SM-57 that could be bought for $100 at GC?

Because the L22 Townsend plugin and Ocean Way plugin both have 12 high quality models of classic microphones. Just repeat the process, but change to a U67 on one side and a C-414 on the other. You also have control of the mics' proximity effect in the plugin. And polar patterns.

And if you select the stereo output version of the plugin you can adjust axis. In stereo, to create a profile, you will need to use either the Console app or your DAW to mix to mono. Of course that's true with two hardware mics.

The mic comes with the Townsend plugin with its 12 models. The plugin runs on the UAD hardware or in native mode in your DAW as a VST, UA, etc.

The Ocean Way plugin is only available on the UAD platform, at least for now. It is similar to the Townsend plugin, in terms of its interface and capabilities. It just has different models, also 12 total.

Allan Sides of Ocean Way created the models in conjunction with Townsend Labs. While there is some overlap between the models included with each plugin, the actual mics which were modeled were different, so the resulting models do have differences.

• I've made a few profiles with a SM57, Carvin Condensor and a CAPI (API Clone) preamp as well as a Sound Skulptor (Neve clone). They sound pretty good. Not bad. Just a 500 series lunchbox. Honestly it's just a lot of experimentation and mixing these things together. Then its all about what works in the mix. It all can sound good by itself, but for me, it means nothing if it doesn't sound good with drums or the bass going. So that's the ultimate determination for me whether I use the profile or not; what works in the mix.