Spdif

• Im a bit of a newb when it comes to Spdif though I get that it transmits digital audio . What might be some typical ways I would want to take advantage of it in recording and or reamping vs just analogue ? Why the input on the kemper as welI as the output? I have a focusrite 18i8 .with ins and out as well. Thanks in advance.

• 1. Recording
    The easiest and most straight forward method of recording is to just record the "Master Stereo" signal that basically includes the entire audio chain including all Modulation, Delay, Reverb effects. As a bonus you can also record the DI signal (Git Studio) in case you want to reamp the guitar track(s). So far probably nothing new to you and probably the most commonly used way to record the Profiler. :)
    This setup uses 3 outputs of the Kemper Profiler (Main Outputs L/R + Direct Output). Now you have one output left, e.g. to record the dry, amped signal (Stack) or Mod mono (after the MOD effects slot) via the remaining Monitor Output. All 4 available outputs used now. Wouldn't it be nice if you could also record the wet delay/reverb stereo signal (Delay/Reverb wet)?
    It happens pretty often that in the recording stage you have quite a bit of delay and reverb going on to "fatten up" your guitar sound ... but in mixing, suddenly you notice it was a bit to much. It comes in very handy if you can balance the wet delay/reverb portion against the dry (Stack or Mod) guitar track. So in this regard the extra outputs provided by S/PDIF come in very handy. It's completely up to you how you configure your output routing in the Kemper. You can also record the Master Stereo via S/PDIF and the Delay/Reverb wet via Main Outputs. Everything possible, just set it up to your needs .... or just forget about it if you don't need.
    There's so many ways to use the Profiler and it's completely up to you how you use its capabilities. If you happen to use Effects Loop (mono or stereo) with external effects, then one or two of the available analog outputs are gone for this purpose. Again, the extra outputs provided by S/PDIF come in very handy.

2. Reamping
    Typically you have your guitar connected to the Front Input and nobody likes to swap cables all the time. So you likely use one of the rear inputs for reamping (e.g. the Alternative Input). While this works as advertised, the rear inputs are a little bit noisy, they add a low level yet perceivable "shhhhhhh" to the signal. That's one of the main reasons why I prefer to use the (left channel) S/PDIF for reamping.

3. General Remarks
    For my main signals (Master Stereo) I typically go via S/PDIF to just skip the DA->AD conversions. That's also the outputs I monitor (through my audio interface). All the other (analog) outputs I use for the other stuff. They are always hooked up to my interface so they're always ready to use.
    I consider the S/PDIF inputs and outputs to be the most "lossless" connections in and out of my Profiler. So they are the main IO for me. YMMV :)

Cheers
    Martin

• Thanks for taking the time to post. This was very helpful to me. Really was just trying to wrap my head around how I should be utilizing the spdif more as Im thinking of doing some more recording and in doing so some reamping as well. This helped me to do Just that and more. Thanks again !

• Would running into a live desk via the digital output require the desk to follow the kpa as the master-clock?
    Or would the desk happily run on its own internal clock if the kpa was running at the same sample rate?

In my limited experience of this kind of situation, when the receiving device is the master-clock, some clicks and pops occasionally arise, perhaps due to digital misreads.

My concern is that if the kpa is the master-clock and the cable gets pulled out or the kpa goes offline the mixing desk will halt due to losing its clock and have a far greater impact on the desk and loss of foh audio.