Stomp values reset when saving as preset

• Hi everyone,

I have a little trouble saving a Green Scream stomp as a preset. I set Tone and Mix around half, but the saved preset then has them as full (10.0 and 100%). I know this has worked with my unit before, I have a Green Scream preset whose Tone rests happily at 5.0. I'm on 5.3.1 and so far I have tried switching the Kemper off and on (classic!), saving at different settings and changing and saving my old preset with the 5.0 Tone. None of this has worked. It is worth mentioning though that saving Rigs is no problem at all, the values stay just the way they are supposed to -- just saving presets is acting up. Has anyone encountered this problem or has any idea how to fix this?

• I tested with our current 5.4.1 Release (recommended!) and it works as expected.

Make sure, you are not confused by the fact that multiple Presets could co-exist with identical names. And you need to turn the Browse Knob to select Presets. If you turn the Type knob only the Effect Type changes to Green Scream, while all other parameter settings stay untouched.

• Make sure, you are not confused by the fact that multiple Presets could co-exist with identical names.

Please address this :)

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Preset Names are given names. If you create a new Preset e. g. for the Green Scream, what is hindering you to assign a name which is meaningful? And if this name is not unique it's probably not meaningful enough.

This is part of the Profiler philosophy which applies not just to Presets, but also to Rigs, and Snapshots.... You can have multiple Rigs with identical names in the Profiler Browse Pool and in Rig Manager. I think, that is no problem as you can still use other criteria e. g. the creation date to distinguish. Otherwise the Profiler would hinder you to import somebodies Rig "Alright" or "Marshall TLS" if you had already any Rigs with such names. I guess, the opportunity for Presets is to make their creation date/time stamp visible.

• Okay, this is about to get a little weirder...

I updated to 5.4.1 but nothing changed. I am, by the way, quite certain that I am selecting the right presets. Besides, if I save not a single preset with a Tone on 10.0, why should any of them have this value, even if I picked the wrong one?

Well... until now I always changed an existing preset of mine and saved it with different values, so I wouldn't have to type out the whole name again. Here for me it is impossible to get a mix different than 100%, but the Tone value is simply doubled, e.g. 3.3 before = 6.6 after. This wasn't the case before I updated ti 5.4.1 and it makes some kind of sense because I remember reading somewhere that the Green Scream Tone knob originally only went half way, which then was full (or something like that ... doesn't make that behavior now any more right :P ).

Right. I experimented some more and if I take a "clean" Green Scream I can save any preset I like, Tone and mix stay just the way I want them to. However, if I try to change and save that preset again, same problem. Sooo... apparently it is impossible to resave a preset I made before. Obviously not a dealbreaker, nonetheless it would be much appreciated if this was changed, so slight changes to presets would be much easier.

If there are any more questions or things I should try, I would be happy to help.

Edit: I spoke too soon. One time it worked perfectly fine with and empty slot, then it did not but only if I turned to some random preset and dialed in the Green Screen via the type. But that only worked one time and not when I changed the name to something useful. To recap: I have officially no idea what is going on anymore, but I am certain my unit doesn't work as intended. I have the preset I want now, but I dread the day I might want to change it...

Edited once, last by Karajan ().

• It has never been possible to replace or rename any Preset in any software revision so far. If you store a Preset it's always a new one, whatever name you pick. And you can obviously delete Presets you don't want anymore. There is no screen with "Replace", "Store As", and "Rename" like when you store Rigs. When you store a Preset, the Profiler defaults to the name of the Preset you loaded last time. However, you can change this name to anything you want. This could be enhanced, on the other hand we don't assume a constant need to modify Presets.

I guess, the scale of the Green Scream has been modified without any effect on the sound of stored Rigs nor Presets.

I can create Presets of the Green Scream with any values I want, store and reload those.

• The question that would be interesting to me is: can you load up a preset that you have made before, change it slightly and save it under a slightly different name? Because that is the thing which is not working for me (well, it works but it changes my Green Scream parameters). Yes, I can create a preset from fresh which works (at least sometimes, I guess, no idea what's going on there), but then I have to retype the whole preset name for a small change, which I try to avoid. If there was a "Replace/Rename" option, this wouldn't be a problem.

• Please be more specific describing step by step what your issue is, because as generic as you are describing it, people perform this all the time successfully.

The formulation "can you load up a preset that you have made before, change it slightly and save it under a slightly different name?" includes an inaccuracy related to the two "it". When you load a Preset it loads all parameters of an effect stored in that Preset. And in this case of a Green Scream the list of parameters is the Effect Type=Green Scream plus the values of Drive, Tone, Mix, and Volume. As soon as this Preset is loaded, there is no reference left other than these parameter values. So you cannot change "it" and you cannot save "it". Loading a Preset is identical to selecting the Effect Type via Type Knob and dialing in those parameters manually. That's all. Loading it via Preset is just more convenient, if you require same parameter settings frequently. At any time when a Module or Section is in focus you can press Store, select to create a Preset instead of a complete Rig and then on the next screen edit the suggested name to anything you want and then complete the store.

Example: I open Module C, use the Browse Knob to select the preinstalled Preset "DIST Green Crunch". It loads Type=Green Scream, Drive=5.6, Tone=8.0, Mix=100%, Volume=0. I can now change any parameter(s) for example Tone=3.0 or leave all parameters as they are. I press Store, select "C Module", the edit page suggests the name of the Presets loaded the last time, in this case "DIST Green Crunch". Here I can edit that suggested name into "DIST Green Scream 2" or "Fitziputzli". The next Store will finalize the creation of a new Preset. A new Preset is born. If I now open Module B I can turn the Browse Knob and select "Fitziputzli" from the list of Effect Presets. "DIST Green Crunch" is also still available. "Fitziputzli" loads Type=Green Scream, Drive=5.6, Tone=3.0, Mix=100%, Volume=0, as expected. If I miss to edit the suggested name "DIST Green Scream", a second Preset will be created with this same name. I will afterwards find two Presets "DIST Green Scream" in that list of Effect Presets, one with Tone=8.0, the other with Tone=3.0. If you want to get rid of the original one, you need to use the Browse Knob to select that Preset, which loads Tone=8.0, and while you are on the Browse Screen press the Soft Button "Delete".

• Okay, I didn't know that "presets" themselves aren't really a thing, I just assumed it because it was the first thing that sprung to my mind when trying to explain these phenomenons.

I did some more testing and I think I found the issue. These issues only exist when using Module D, which explains why I was getting differing results, which led me to believe that presets might have something to do with it. However, now the problem is reliably reproducible on my machine.
    Here are the steps:
    - open up Module D on a profile
    - dial in a Green Scream or a Fuzz DS (via a preset or via the Type button)
    - set the Mix lower than 100% and the Tone on the GS lower than 5.0
    - save as a preset
    - load that preset on any Module (not just D)
    Results on my machine:
    - the Mix is set to 100%
    - the Tone of the GS is doubled with a maximum of 10.0

As best to my knowledge, the other Modules work fine.

• Yes, thanks, that helps! I can now reproduce that. And in deed seems to be specific to Module D. Tone anomaly seems to be specific to the Green Scream. However Mix seems to affect other Distortions as well e. g. Mouse and Muffin. Reported to engineering! Thanks for highlighting this!

• Preset Names are given names. If you create a new Preset e. g. for the Green Scream, what is hindering you to assign a name which is meaningful? And if this name is not unique it's probably not meaningful enough.

This is part of the Profiler philosophy which applies not just to Presets, but also to Rigs, and Snapshots.... You can have multiple Rigs with identical names in the Profiler Browse Pool and in Rig Manager. I think, that is no problem as you can still use other criteria e. g. the creation date to distinguish. Otherwise the Profiler would hinder you to import somebodies Rig "Alright" or "Marshall TLS" if you had already any Rigs with such names. I guess, the opportunity for Presets is to make their creation date/time stamp visible.

Seriously Burkhard? We've been asking for this (and other fixes to preset management) for years. Its standard on any computer or other data-driven device that file names are unique and you have the option of either saving to/over-writing, OR, saving as new and not getting locked into perpetually propagating more and more files. I dare say CK himself even admitted this needed to being addressed years ago over on The Gear Page.

• on the other hand we don't assume a constant need to modify Presets.

I think you are generally wrong with that assumption.

Seriously Burkhard? We've been asking for this (and other fixes to preset management) for years. Its standard on any computer or other data-driven device that file names are unique and you have the option of either saving to/over-writing, OR, saving as new and not getting locked into perpetually propagating more and more files. I dare say CK himself even admitted this needed to being addressed years ago over on The Gear Page.

Agreed.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM