New to kemper, any advice or info greatly appreciated

• Hey! Im new to kemper. Im looking to use this live for everything from chickin pickin to metal. Ill be plugging in direct and going all in ears. Im used to a simple rig. Tele or lespaul into a decent tube amp ac30 or marshall jcm2000dsl. Basic overdrive pedal and a bit of delay for leads and im happy. Any profiles or rigs u suggest? Whats the best way to get tones set at home that will work for live use? I have a small pa system at home. As well as my guitar amps etc. Will plugging my in ears into the head phone jack give similar tones to whats coming out of the bands in ear rig? Any advice or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Chad

• Hi Chad, I would highly recommend using your in ear monitors at home to set your rigs up The way you want them, or… Use some good monitors, do not use a guitar cabinet to set your rigs up like I did in the beginning… Huge mistake… Guitar cabinets have a huge effect on tone and tend to make all rigs sound very similar.
    You are going to have to experiment with what sounds good to you… There are many factory profiles and you can also go on rig manager and try many out on the rig exchange… see what you like best…
    There are many many many amplifiers and doing a search is really easy…
    Look up Kemper Tutorials on YouTube and watch as many of them as you can, just to get familiar with the machine…
    Keith

• I'm pretty new too. I found that some of the best sounding profiles are free on the Rig Exchange. Look for GRS Studios, I found most of his stuff useful and better sounding than some of the profiles that I've paid for.

You're going direct in to the PA and monitoring through wedges or something?

• If you don't have a dedicated sound engineer remember that as you turn up to stage levels the mids will start to get overwhelmed by the treble and bass and you need to compensate.

Same thing applies to tube amps but you don't notice because the amp is right there.

• Quote from Chadgreziuk

Any profiles or rigs u suggest?

Rig Exchange has many to try, Id start there.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user

• Good call on GRS.....I just save saved a few rigs !

Yes! I tend to lock all the KPA effects off, and his basic amps underneath sound great. I used his distorted Fender Concert profile tonight and it worked beautifully.

I also bought the MBritt ACE30 profiles which are outstanding if you need the Vox sound. Where else can you buy a 1965 Vox AC30 for like 15 bucks??

• Hi Chad, I would highly recommend using your in ear monitors at home to set your rigs up The way you want them, or… Use some good monitors, do not use a guitar cabinet to set your rigs up like I did in the beginning… Huge mistake… Guitar cabinets have a huge effect on tone and tend to make all rigs sound very similar.
    You are going to have to experiment with what sounds good to you… There are many factory profiles and you can also go on rig manager and try many out on the rig exchange… see what you like best…
    There are many many many amplifiers and doing a search is really easy…
    Look up Kemper Tutorials on YouTube and watch as many of them as you can, just to get familiar with the machine…
    Keith

TOTALLY!!!

As mentioned you have the right path so test via the PA you have.

Also test profiles in small chunks...I think you go profile "blind".....you try a profile, think it sounds good, try another think it sounds better, go back to the original and then prefer that one...

You are obviously using rig manager to scroll through the Rig exchange ? That is very quick to try profiles, so I find a the ones I like, save them in a folder on my laptop and then do a second audition of them before loading them into performances.

Sometimes there is too much choice :)

also, this might sound daft, but use performance mode for live, don;t try to use browse mode as I originally did ( the clue is in the title!!). Look to use morph ( especially if you have the remote) to add extra options to each slot...e.g. my main rhythm sound, I morph to add bit more volume and treble to accent riffs and have a separate slot for solo sound..

• Yeah I did....I found them to be ok but very low volume...

Crank the volume of the profile up, I cannot believe the difference of a low-volume profile compared to a high-volume profile…
    The high-volume usually (always) sounds better, match volumes up with your other profiles and you will be surprised! Good luck!

• Crank the volume of the profile up, I cannot believe the difference of a low-volume profile compared to a high-volume profile…The high-volume usually (always) sounds better, match volumes up with your other profiles and you will be surprised! Good luck!

Do you do this with the general volume control or with some internal volume setting?

No Gain - No Pain.... :D

• Thanks guys. Tried some demo packs found more usable tones. Then profiles my existing rig. And presto! Now im more comfortable with it. But man i get caught between some britt or af profiles and my own then cant decide which is better. Cant wait to try them in a mix. Sounds good in my ears. Im just using a small pa at home to set sounds and my ears.

• If its any consolation, I still flip between sounds...I loaded a new profile and cab based on a recommendation on the forum....loved it when I tried it, loved it at one gig, then thought it sounded a bit duff at another gig. Rest of the band thought it sounded fine...gigged on Sat with same set up, sounded great.

The variables in all of these:

1) The room
    2) the PA
    ...or what I think is the main issue....my ears!

I go profile "blind/deaf" regularly...too much choice!