A *direct mix* parameter added to the Amp block...

• I have what many might call a *strange* feature request: I would like to see a *DIRECT MIX* parameter added to the Amp block - sometimes just a bit of direct signal causes the Amp to sound/respond more authoritatively and solid. Don't knock it til you try it :o) (I can do this with some of my other modelers)

All modelers known to man 8o

• And to make this even better & more flexible, a basic HF *tone control or LPF* for this direct signal (rolling off the highs from the direct signal makes the effect more subtle, while still supplying the fundamental tonal support)

• This 'direct mix' parameter would be done in such a way that the direct signal would also be affected by the other Amp parameters (compression, pick etc....)

• while I personally don't care for such a feature what you are trying to do is already kind possible

1) use the direct out, record it to a separate track or use a mixer to add it to your signal

2) cabinet 'character' control. by turning this to the left, you are smoothing the IR, which adds a 'old style' speaker sim characteristic if you turn it far enough

the reason I don't see the point is that you'll effectively get the effect of distortion 'riding on top of the clean signal', which is something I found to be a weakness of some other guitar processors.
    some people like to mix bass with this approach, but personally, so far I always chose the DI or the amp track, never a mix.

• while I personally don't care for such a feature what you are trying to do is already kind possible

1) use the monitor out (DI signal here), record it to a separate track or use a mixer to add it to your signal

The monitor out will give you the distorted signal without a cab (if you wish so). But you could use the direct out which will give you the unprocessed signal. Since this is also the same procedure you would use for reamping, i can only encourage everyone to ALWAYS record the DI Track to a second track. Though you might never need it, it could save your life sometime. If you plan to mix the the processed KPA tones with the direct guitar tone in your DAW, please check if both tracks are in phase correctly.

• The monitor out will give you the distorted signal without a cab (if you wish so). But you could use the direct out which will give you the unprocessed signal. Since this is also the same procedure you would use for reamping, i can only encourage everyone to ALWAYS record the DI Track to a second track. Though you might never need it, it could save your life sometime. If you plan to mix the the processed KPA tones with the direct guitar tone in your DAW, please check if both tracks are in phase correctly.

right.
    that's what I meant.

(edited)

• Thanks for the info, but I believe this makes it all too much of a hassle to deal with - the more options we have onboard the KPA (which don't require extra cabling), the better it is - I simply disagree.

• I agree with Radley.
    If we think to the KPA as a studio tool this feature might be useless. But if we want to achieve certaines tones in a live contest I'd prefere to have an onboard mixing tool besides having a separate mixer with a fixed bled (because i cannot change it manually for each of 30 songs i play live).

• I'm also very happy to see this new "Direct mix" parameter in the amp block.

It duplicates an old studio trick of laying down 2 tracks for each guitar part: Track#1 = Miced Amp, Track#2 = D.I. feed straight off the guitar pickups. At mix down, if you want more definition in your guitar tone, simply mix in more of the dry "Direct" tone, and suddenly your mushy poor definition dirty Tube Amp tone takes on new life with good note attack and improved sound.
    The new KPA "Direct mix" parameter in the amp block allows us to accomplish this live.

• I thought the amp clarity parameter did something similar?

That's what I thought at first, but no it's a different beast. Just like "Definition", "Tube Shape", etc. Clarity is another one of those hard to describe tonal modifiers that makes you just throw up your hands and say "use your ears" rather than actually trying to quantify what it does LOL. But "Direct Mix" is very simple and does what you expect. Elantric's description is very good - this was also described to me as a way to give uber-distorted guitars a little more sense of "in-tuneness" because higher-order harmonics in the harmonic series can be rather off-pitch.

-djh

• I am bumping this thread because there may be some new owners that are not aware of the "Direct Mix" parameter in the amp block, since it is not in the manual.
    Since the KPA cannot run two profiles in parallel, this direct mix is the next best thing.

CK posted this today in another thread,

I have got close to zero responce for the mix parameter in the amp section (I must admit it is not documented in the manual).

• I have got close to zero responce for the mix parameter in the amp section.

Well that's how it is in users forums: if we are happy, then we play and don't post here so much. Democracy doesn't work in the arts.

I love guitar sounds between clean and crunch and for me the mix parameter in the amp section is great. I would love to have the same in the cab section. I liked this on the Palmer PGA04 to bring in some high end clarity.

BTW: the mix parameter in the compressor stomp is gorgeous!!!

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• You know, the other day I was working on a track where I was treating the guitars with a little bit of parallel overdrive before reamping, essentially a wet/dry mix. It's such a useful thing on compressors, but it's no less so on distortion. I'd like to see a mix knob available on all the effects across the board. Why not make it a standard feature? Even with EQ - if you think "I like this curve, but I want to audition having a bit more or less of it" ... you can do this in iZotope's Ozone, and it's a useful thing. :)

-djh

• You know, the other day I was working on a track where I was treating the guitars with a little bit of parallel overdrive before reamping, essentially a wet/dry mix. It's such a useful thing on compressors, but it's no less so on distortion. I'd like to see a mix knob available on all the effects across the board. Why not make it a standard feature? Even with EQ - if you think "I like this curve, but I want to audition having a bit more or less of it" ... you can do this in iZotope's Ozone, and it's a useful thing. :)

-djh

+1
    very good idea!!!