Reference amp sound changes after refining.

• So, a friend and I were doing some profiles today and I noticed something strange.

After the profiling was done and the a/b comparison began, the reference amp had a certain sound that was awesome that was very different from the profile. Until I started refining, then the original sound of the reference amp changed and the profile was then more like the reference amp.

Process:
    Start profile
    Profile is finished
    Reference amp has a certain sound that I want to capture and the profile is off
    Start refining once
    Check the reference amp to profile
    Sound of the reference amp has now changed
    More refining takes place
    Profile now sounds more like the reference amp sound that doesn't sound the same as the original reference amp comparison before the refining began but after the profiling.

Anyone else? Is there a thingy I'm missing? :huh:

• a SM57 and SM58 is essentially the same thing.Many mics can be used for both applications - ribbon mics, LDCs

I doubt this is the issue.

the original sounded more "open"?

The hardest part with the seinhieser was getting a good sound worth profiling lol
    I think it's an e835?
    The other I tried using was an old ev n/d457a?

• Have you tried checking your patch cables? a wonky cable that is on its way out can drastically alter the tone if it gets shifted.

most are mogami and in good shape

This anomaly occurred at the beginning stages of all the refinements after the profiling.

The tone was so drastic that it was like the difference between a 57 on axis near the center versus a much darker mic away from the cone off axis. If that makes sense