FRFR woes. Any ideas?

• Ugh. I can't find a good FRFR speaker. Everything sounds terrible compared to my JBL LSR305 monitors.

First I bought a Matrix FR10 and wasn't happy, and today I got a DXR10 in the mail. Sounds very similar to the FR10.
    Both speakers sound incredibly choked up and muddy compared to the JBLs.
    I've tried all the DSP and HPF settings.

Can anyone recommend something that actually sounds good? Even cautious to take recommendations now since both the other cabs I've bought were on many many recommendations on Kemper forums and groups.

Seriously considering buying an extra LSR305 to take around everywhere...
    A $200 speaker shouldn't be beating out $700 speakers. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. [Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/fcb/1/16/1f641.png]

• Pretty much all high powered PA speakers or stage monitors only come to life from a certain volume (Sound Pressure Level).
    If you experience both models sound "incredibly choked up and muddy", my first guess is that you try them at low levels which barely make them move air while your tiny JBLs are made for bedroom levels. You'll have a hard time to compete against drums, bass, second guitar in a practice room situation (and even less on stage) with your JBLs. :)

• Hmm yeah I guess that could be it, but I am playing them pretty loud. Enough that it was fatiguing to listen to, and much much louder than I usually run the JBLs. Probably around the same volume as I would go in a rehearsal room. The JBL was also able to match that volume though.

• Simple test ... take your JBLs and take the DXR10 to your next band practice and try there. I bet you won't be using the JBLs for long once the drummer starts acting like "The Animal". ;) But the DXR10 will be right there for you.
    Even if the JBL's product description states a max. SPL of 108dB, I'm pretty sure they'll almost fart out near their maximum. 5" woofers just can't deliver ;)
    The DXR10's max SPL is rated 131dB ... and this is a MASSIVE difference to the JBLs! And you'll need it, no way the JBLs will keep up with a full band blast, ever.

• The DXR10 is standing upright on a piano stool, 3ft away from one wall and 6ft away from the other wall.
    So it's aiming at about my waist.
    However I'm standing about 9ft away, so I would have thought at that distance, the direction shouldn't matter too much as long as it's pointing in my general direction.

The LSR305 is also about waist high (maybe slightly higher), and a very similar distance away from me

• If the yamaha sounds similiar to the matrix it is no wonder you dont like it too.The yamaha is indeed somehow "boxy" and therefore very good for many sounds.Specially when playing with a loud full band (drums).But it is definitly not a very clean sounding FRFR.

I tried some EV zlp12´s in the past I liked a lot for playing on more silent stages like only with a singer/acoustic guitar.It has some kind of "mid scoop" which gives you a much cleaner sounding kind of thing.Specially when you dont play very loud.

• Have been playing with two DXR10’s for almost one year but was always missing something. Last few months I’ve tried a lot of FRFR monitors:
    - Yamaha DSR12
    - Nova KD12
    - JBL PRX612m
    - EV ZLX12p
    - Alto TS212
    - Benringer B210d (x2)
    So from € 170 to € 800.
    I’ve ended up with one Behringer B212d.
    What? A Behry B212d?!!!
    Yep, that’s it.

• How are you connected to the DXR10, and what are the settings?
    I use Monitor out of the Kemper
    Into the Line 2 L/Mono input of DXR10
    Level on DXR10 is set to approx. -20

The DXR sits happily on my carpeted floor in the living room, or on indoor/outdoor carpet of our studio stage. More than enough volume for the band in this config.
    Do you have the cabinet on for your profiles?

• Are you using low cut and high cut? I use this on everything, but I think it makes even more of a difference on larger speakers. Using a larger powered speaker, I also have to cut a little bass, in the global out, as well. Also, just like with a guitar amp, I have to get the speaker moving a little, before I like the sound. I have the LSR305, and it takes a lot less volume to get that speaker moving than the 10" or 12" in my other speakers.