When playing at gig volumes my amp sounds too boomy/bassy

• Hi all,

I play in an 80's hair/glam metal tribute band we play stuff from Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi etc, i bought TopJimi's EVH profiles as i watched the video and they sounded amazing! But recently i have had a few comments from the other guitarist in my band saying my amp sounds too boomy and is almost just competing with the bass, and although i agree its a very low end punchy sound that sounds great when i am playing on my own at home but i don't know if it sits well in the band mix.
    For some context i haven't been a "gigging" guitarist for long as i am primarily a drummer, but i have been playing guitar for 13 years now some by no means a noob! :thumbup:

so i'm asking two questions here:

1. How much low end do you go for in your own setup?

2. Is it just the gear i am using that is creating these low frequencies that the other guitarist is talking about?

Im running my unpowered KPA in to a line 6 FH 1500 using a W/D/W setup with the 6 speakers in the line 6 and i have the global EQ on the line 6 turned off.
    the only thing in my signal chain that has any influence on the sound of the guitar is a horizon devices precision drive which is just used to tighten the low end.

• 1. How much low end do you go for in your own setup?

As much as the mix with the rest of the band allows. If you're too boomy and competing with the bass, try hi pass filtering, starting at 100 Hz and work your way upwards until the problem disappears. Tones that sound great on their own don't necessarily play nice in the mix. Ever watched one of those Classic Albums programmes, where they go through the multitracks of famous recordings? Every time they solo a guitar part, it reveals how strange and unnatural it can sound in isolation, when it works perfectly in the mix.

2. Is it just the gear i am using that is creating these low frequencies that the other guitarist is talking about?

It's a common problem for all guitarists that aren't used to playing live (and lots that are!), no matter what they're playing through. Jamming at home generally means lower volume, meaning increased bass and highs to compensate. The Fletcher/Munson effect means that lows and highs are accentuated at higher volumes, giving the classic boomy/icepicky sound that guitarists often complain about on this forum.