5.5.0.13341 Public Beta discussion

• Does Direct Out have a “link to master volume” In the output menu? That’s what you’d want to do. Un-link everything but monitor out and direct out. Then when you turn up the volume, only those two outs will be effected. Just make sure they’re set to the same exact dB level when linked. Then just set your other outs to whatever signal makes sense. I keep the Main outs, on both my Kemper and other guitarist’s, at -12dB so that FOH can use their sliders to set the PA levels.

It don't work.

Setup:
    Page 2 output menue: Monitor volume -24dB, Direct Volume - 24 dB Monitor out checkbox Link and Direct out checkbox Link , both on

Page 1 Checkbox Monitor stereo on
    Montitor output cherngerdanged automaticly to Master stereo, Direct output is automaticly greyed out.

Result:

Connected monitorcab to monitor out: Working. Sound level ok
    Connected monitorcab to direkt out: Working on a very low volume.

Used monitors KRK rokit rp6 g3. Both are working on the same volume level when connected to the main outs and they work stereo.

• Nobody the same problem???

• S/PDIF at 96KHz, it's all I've ever asked for for the last two+ years.

Thank you CK and the KPA Team!

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• I always record 48k 24b.
    I've done this subjective listening test a few times before, comparing SP-DIF vs Analog Out when 44.1 was the only option.
    I tried it again today now with 48k available.
    Clean Amp and Stratocaster and Simultaneous Recording and volume matched:
    Track 1=SPDIF out.
    Track 2=Analog out.
    RME UFX to two Cubase 9.5.20 tracks.
    The results I'm hearing are the same as I've previously found.
    SP-DIF has less blossoming lower notes of guitar and more extended top-end without the subtle but present raspy, harshness that the analog track has.
    Blind A-B testing/track switching and it is easy to pick which is which consistently.
    I'm not making a definitive statement. Obviously the convertors in the UFX are a factor.

Thanks Team Kemper

• Would you mind posting these results as an audio direct comparison?

• How big of a difference between the 44.1 and 48k for the guitar tone might be something that most will adjust to very quickly, but many of the Synths and specifically software synths will sound much better at 48k. I'm sure many will argue that if programmed properly synths will sound the same at 48 and 44.1. but practically even reverbs sound better at 48K.

So this is a great update to be able to use SPDIF at more than 44.1.

• How big of a difference between the 44.1 and 48k for the guitar tone might be something that most will adjust to very quickly, but many of the Synths and specifically software synths will sound much better at 48k. I'm sure many will argue that if programmed properly synths will sound the same at 48 and 44.1. but practically even reverbs sound better at 48K.

So this is a great update to be able to use SPDIF at more than 44.1.

Wow, took a day off from the forum to work in the studio and look at all the action I missed!!!

I agree fully with @Dean_R here, this will make many users very happy, the higher sample rate is awesome for many reasons.

Sweet update, thank you Kemper!!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Awesome to finally have SPDIF different rates. Though guys different bit rates wont affect the sound from the Kemper (internally it supersamples at the same insanely high rate regardless that Christoph mentioned before).

Does anyone know if this adds SPDIF slave mode?

• Though guys different bit rates wont affect the sound from the Kemper (internally it supersamples at the same insanely high rate regardless that Christoph mentioned before).

The higher sample rate at the KPA's output will positively affect sound quality. The sound quality from a device's internal sample rates at super high frequencies only passes as far as the device's digital output. If you limit the sample rate to 44.1 kHz, you will not get the same sound quality as a 96 kHz output.

• The higher sample rate at the KPA's output will positively affect sound quality. The sound quality from a device's internal sample rates at super high frequencies only passes as far as the device's digital output. If you limit the sample rate to 44.1 kHz, you will not get the same sound quality as a 96 kHz output.

To add to this, the main reason I use 96KHz, is for the smaller samples/time slices. The smaller the slices/samples are, the faster they can be processed throughout the entire sound chain, that includes the CPU, RAM, and the DAW plugins - they are literally processed twice as fast as 44.1KHz - from the input of the AI, through the DAW and VST plugins, and back out the AI to the monitors. This is extremely helpful for monitoring VST effects in real-time, in that, there is very low latency round-trip.

The only drawback to running higher sample rates, is larger file sizes, and CPU overhead. PC's these days have no problems running 96KHz.

I'm currently enjoying 96KHz over S/PDIF, was using XLR all this time, now just two quality RCA's, much cleaner cabling now. :thumbup:

Kemper Powerhead w/remote & Kabinet
    Focusrite 18i8 (2nd Gen) - Windows 10 - Ableton Live - Yamaha HS-8's - DT770 80 ohms

• The higher sample rate at the KPA's output will positively affect sound quality. The sound quality from a device's internal sample rates at super high frequencies only passes as far as the device's digital output. If you limit the sample rate to 44.1 kHz, you will not get the same sound quality as a 96 kHz output.

It wont make a difference unless you have a bat's hearing. 22.1k is well above most peoples upper frequency threshold. You really wont hear a difference unless there's an actual bug in the Kemper. But don't take my word for it, try it.

Moving outside of the Kemper into the whole 96k argument then higher frequency rates actually often result in poorer quality due to clock jitter being introduced, not to mention when it comes to recording there's the issue of larger sound files. The frequency you need to get rid of things like aliasing artifacts from cheap plugins needs to be about 10x higher i.e. 415k, so with 96k you're only taxing your system more (you can test this using something you know aliases badly in your DAW and trying different sample rates). Once you get audio from an external source into your computer it's going to have a harder time too. It doesn't reduce latency because the bus and CPU on your computer isn't magically faster when you're throwing more data at it, in fact it could potentially create additional bottlenecks and you will likely have to increase your sample buffer to compensate, if you don't have to when you run at 96k then you should drop your buffer at 44.1 instead, if it's already at the lowest your driver will allow then it makes some sense to increase the sample rate while keeping the same buffer size as that will be a way to reduce, but otherwise it's not doing anything.

• Thanks for the update!

Yep mine seems fine on my iMac so far.

If you use FRFR the benefit of a merged profile is that the cabinet is totally separated in the profile.

For my edification only... ;) Kemper/Axe-FX III/ Quad Cortex user