Kemper Remote not turning on

• FWIW, I have noticed that happening with my Remote from time to time, but it seems to be related to the Cat5 connector at the back of the Kemper. I have a 3rd party Cat5-XLR connector that is 3m long, because I am using it in the studio. If I wiggle the Cat5 end of the cable, it will turn on. I kinda wish that Kemper had gone with XLR-XLR, because it would be a more secure connection, and you could use any Mic cable under 10m length.

• I kinda wish that Kemper had gone with XLR-XLR, because it would be a more secure connection, and you could use any Mic cable under 10m length.

The remote requires powered Ethernet (IEEE 802.3at) so mic-cables are out of the question. If you look at the remote-side of your cable you will find that it is a RJ45-connector in the same housing as a XLR-plug, a so-called EtherCON. Cable-length is also restricted due to power-requirements. A standard shielded CAT6 should not be longer than 6-7m, while you may be able to get up to 10-12m with a heavier cable with thicker conductors. These are my experiences from making my own custom cables for the remote.

It would have been nice to have EtherCON at both ends as those are more robust than RJ45's.

• It would have been nice to have EtherCON at both ends as those are more robust than RJ45's.

Not sure, if every PROFILER owner would like to afford an EtherCON connector in the PROFILER, even those who don't need it or where the connection is safe. Ethernet cables are standard and used for critical applications around the globe. In contrast to MIDI, USB, 1/4 inch, low voltage (e. g. 9 Volt), SPDIF and other jacks, ….Ethernet plugs latch. Which is good. However, whenever cables are exposed to busy stage activities and could be pulled accidentally, you might want to consider a strain relief for example using a simple cable tie. I guess, in that case you are using a rack-mounted PROFILER anyhow and can organize a fixed point for the strain relief for your critical cable connections in the rack.

• Not sure, if every PROFILER owner would like to afford an EtherCON connector in the PROFILER, even those who don't need it or where the connection is safe.

Really? For a $50 pedal maybe, but IMHO not for a unit the price of a KPA. I think that having the most reliable and robust connectors possible for power, audio and control-signals are well worth an extra few bucks. I would also really appreciate locking IEC for power too. Even inside a rack connectors may come loose.

EtherCON-sockets do have a latching RJ45 inside so nothing prevents the use of cheap cables even if the units at either end are equipped with a $5 more expensive socket. ($5 is retail price. Large quantities for industrial production are likely much less). Much the same is to be said for locking IEC.

• Not sure, if every PROFILER owner would like to afford an EtherCON connector in the PROFILER, even those who don't need it or where the connection is safe.

You don't need an Ethercon cable. Ethercon jacks will accept either an Ethercon cable, or regular Ethernet cable.
    I agree that an Ethercon jack should have been used. There is zero downside, other than maybe an additional $1 of cost.

• How do you handle this inside your touring rack with alle these guitar and patch cables, MIDI cables, low voltage power jacks of even high-end wireless guitar receivers, wireless in-ear transmitters, effects devices and so on? I do it with cable ties for 2 Cent. :D

• Is there a problem with a new batch of remotes or something? I hardly ever come on to this part of the forum as I use a midi-moose...but have recently been thinking about buying a remote. This is putting me off a bit!

PRS Custom 22's - Fender Strats - Diezel VH4 - Carol Ann OD2 - Toneking Imperial MK2 - Colin the Kemper - CLR Neo ii.

• Just got my new remote and same issue as others here. Just a thin black line and then nothing. Replace the cable and same thing.

There must be a bad batch of these Remotes. Has anyone received a replacement that works?

Might just return mine until this is sorted.

• Is there a problem with a new batch of remotes or something? I hardly ever come on to this part of the forum as I use a midi-moose...but have recently been thinking about buying a remote. This is putting me off a bit!

sure looks like it. I am going back to my Voodoo Lab GC.

• I recently bought the kemper remote, plugged it in and nothing.
    Updated to 5.4.1 and nothing, tried updating to the current beta 5.5.0 and still no luck. All the cables seem to be connected I checked for anything loose, am I missing something here?

Gee reading this and also the other ones that says ''me too'' . My plan is to buy a remote. I hope i will be more lucky... but even then imagine that trouble in a middle of a show... can we control the Kemper with a computer or something else?

• I bought a remote from a private seller off of Reverb. He claimed it was working fine when he shipped it. I plugged it in to my Profiler when I got it, and the Remote seems like it's dead. I don't notice any activity at all. No lights, no LCD action. I checked if the Profiler was sending power by checking for voltage on the Ethernet cable. I found +5VDC on pins 4 and 5, relative to 7 and 8. I would have figured that there would have been +48VDC on pins 1 and 2 relative to 3 and 6, given what I can glean from the manual (they tell you if you want to use a PoE injector, to make sure it's Mode A compatible).

Based on this, my thinking was that the POE ethernet port in my Profiler was dead. However, in talking to the guys at Kemper in Germany, it sounds like they use two different power supply modes. They argued that I shouldn't be measuring +48VDC out of the Profiler, because the remote uses a different power supply when plugged into the Profiler directly. However, it can also use Mode A POE standard.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Does anyone have any other information? Just how much power supply voltage should we be seeing out of a known good Profiler ethernet port, and on what pins?

• I bought a remote from a private seller off of Reverb. He claimed it was working fine when he shipped it. I plugged it in to my Profiler when I got it, and the Remote seems like it's dead. I don't notice any activity at all. No lights, no LCD action. I checked if the Profiler was sending power by checking for voltage on the Ethernet cable. I found +5VDC on pins 4 and 5, relative to 7 and 8. I would have figured that there would have been +48VDC on pins 1 and 2 relative to 3 and 6, given what I can glean from the manual (they tell you if you want to use a PoE injector, to make sure it's Mode A compatible).

Based on this, my thinking was that the POE ethernet port in my Profiler was dead. However, in talking to the guys at Kemper in Germany, it sounds like they use two different power supply modes. They argued that I shouldn't be measuring +48VDC out of the Profiler, because the remote uses a different power supply when plugged into the Profiler directly. However, it can also use Mode A POE standard.

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Does anyone have any other information? Just how much power supply voltage should we be seeing out of a known good Profiler ethernet port, and on what pins?

Even if it makes not a whole lot of sense to you the info you received was coming directly from our tech department and is of course correct. The Ethernet port on the PROFILER does not use the standard PoE protocol to power the Remote. The Remote will automatically switch to the standard PoE protocol as soon as it detects a PoE injector at its ethernet input.

• Similar issue for me too. Remote is 4 weeks old. Never been stepped on. I bought it so I could change patches in the studio and turn effect on and off without stressing the little buttons on the from of my rack. The display would intermittently be quit dull. other times really bright. Then today it turned itself off. and wont turn back on. Tried a new cable but nothing. Ill return it to the store and see if I can get a refund. Back to the FCB1010 with UNo chip for me.

Id be shatted if I was using it to gig and it did this. lol that was $700 AU well spent.

• similar situation for me... bought mine off a private seller and its not connecting. I did get it working a couple of times after restarting the profiler but now ive updated to the latest beta its not even doing that.