Thoughts on bandwidth, sample rates and other miscellaneous spewing...

• I think I DID say, and mean "with respect".

but frankly the second part of that is ridiculous.

there is another thread running that's titled "MBritt EXPERT advice..."; should his 'expert opinion' not count for something over, say, a brand new user?

Hope you like my track record .... :)

• So I choosed one (believing it was better than the other). Only to find out later I switched off this effect globally. So I couldn't have heard any change, but only because of my mindset there should be a difference (from which I had to choose) I heard a very subtle difference and I actually choosed... (embarrassing experience)

Happens to me all the time. Thinking I'm hearing something because I'm expecting it. Clients are worse though! :D

I had one client sending me first and second pressing of a cd. She didn't like the second pressing, and wanted me to do adjustments (eq/balance etc). I checked the two cd's....bit identical. What she was reacting to was the slightly different design/color of the second pressing. Funnily, she preferred the cover of the second pressing but the "sound" of the first.

I don't trust anecdotes, including my own, in these matters. Humans and their emotions are involved. Hail science! :thumbup:

• I seriously know a studio that had a piece of outboard built with flashing lights and a big round knob, so that A&R guys could turn it and really hear that they were making the mix better. It was of course not hooked up to anything but the power supply!

• The second part refers to the first; it relates to whether or not one treats another with respect, and suggests that history and background ought not to enter the equation. Heck, this mode of behaviour is as old as the hills; even Jesus encountered it when folks questioned what he taught by asking, (paraphrasing here), "What would someone from Galilee know?". Translation: "If you're from a hick town and haven't attended Harvard, what would you know?"

I take your point 'though, wwittman. Where I'm coming from is that even 'though "expert" opinion is generally something we can rely on much of the time, there's a phenomenon of elitism, often commercially-driven and equally as often clique / institutionally-driven, that routinely ignores opinions, experiences and research of "lesser-qualified" individuals.

Had I not been on the receiving end of this discrimination virtually countless times in my life, I mightn't even be aware of it. As Einstein said, "It doesn't take a hundred professors to prove me wrong; all it takes is one fact." If any of us attempts to assign weight to facts according to the sources they're received from, it is to our detriment, IMHO.

Bottom line: Thank you for not taking it the wrong way. I was simply standing up for the "little guy", motivated by my "little-guy" experience, of which I have much, unfortunately.

• The problem in saying "with respect" is the same as prefacing something with "no offence"; you know you are about to take a hammering:-)

Karl

Kemper Rack OS 9.0.5 - Mac OS X 12.6.7

• This is still pretty on-topic as far as I can tell. Psychoacoustics and the value placed on the resume of someone with an opinion speak directly to your OP.

Seems some veered elsewhere.

Excellent to see/hear from Herr Kemper AND everyone else who stayed on course.
    Expert or not.

Will

• In my colleague and my quest back then to capture acoustic instruments in a room and it's acoustics - from my original spew, one bit of information I meant to include was the actual storage medium we used and it certainly pertains to bandwidth.

The analog(ue) device we used begins to roll off in high frequencies probably in the range of 18k, maybe a little higher. Wide bandwidth is relative.

A tape recorder to magnetic tape, of course.

An Ampex ATR-100 transport and the card electronics in it fed by a transformless solid-state preamp.
    Transport running the tape past the (ferrite?) record head at thirty inches per second.

Will

Edited once, last by WillB ().